ADVERTISEMENT

If Kirby smart can't stop the spread hunh offense

bmhood1984

Jan 2, 2010
Any town, USA
With a roster of 5* athletes at bama, what makes people think it'll be any different here?

The game of college football has morphed from the standard run game to set up play action. More and more teams are going to the spread hunh and as proven Smart simply has no answer for it.

So, why are people drooling over this guy?

Well okay.

Now tell me about the schools that stop the "spread HUNH" offense. What's their secret?

Actually it seems more like they stop themselves than anyone else stops them, a case in point Auburn with the qb issues this year.

Up until recently I would have said TCU seemed to know the secret, but they've gotten blown up a couple times the past few years too (and honestly everyone that faces Baylor gets "blown" up, no matter what they do on defense - you outscore them or you don't win).

Tell me the defense out there that regularly shuts down spread offenses that are at the top of their game? That said, a 4-3 base defense (or 4-2-5), seem to do better than 3 man fronts. Well if they have quick and fast de's.

I have no idea whether Alabama's 3-4 is Smart's thing, or Saban's. Scratching my head I think they are the only ones running a 3-4 in the SEC, and one of the very few across the country.

Are you so sure he would do exactly what Alabama does on defense if he came here? Whatever else he's not stupid. But if there is some kind of angle on the 3-4 when playing a spread (or Air Raid) team, I've missed it along the way.

With a roster of 5* athletes at bama, what makes people think it'll be any different here?

The game of college football has morphed from the standard run game to set up play action. More and more teams are going to the spread hunh and as proven Smart simply has no answer for it.

So, why are people drooling over this guy?

Cuz he stomped the taters.

There are going to be valid arguments about every coach that is mentioned. The defense has been taken out of college football for the moment. It reminds me of what happened in the NBA. The teams were just scoring at will. The defense has turned there and I think it will in college football as well. The faster defenses negate some of the faster offenses. I could easily see the day that a power offense comes in to take advantage of the smaller faster defensive players......until then we have to morph to stop the HUNH

EJ was good at stopping the HUNH as was DJ Durkin at UF.

I thought Ellis Johnson was a great dc here (no comment on Auburn or his head job as Southern Miss). But his kryptonite was running qb's, like most HUNH have. He did better against the Air Raid versions than the spread ones.

(Okay I know they are both called spreads, and they spread the field. But I call Air Raid teams "Air Raids," and I call teams with running qb's "Spread" teams. Just my choice, since it is hard to tell them apart from the name. Though a lot of the "Air Raids" are using mobile qb's now.)

Other than Arkansas Ellis excelled against pro set/I formation teams. And he was better than most against the others, but so many times when he was here we got burnt by mobile qb's.

Reactions: bmhood1984
I thought Ellis Johnson was a great dc here (no comment on Auburn or his head job as Southern Miss). But his kryptonite was running qb's, like most HUNH have. He did better against the Air Raid versions than the spread ones.

(Okay I know they are both called spreads, and they spread the field. But I call Air Raid teams "Air Raids," and I call teams with running qb's "Spread" teams. Just my choice, since it is hard to tell them apart from the name. Though a lot of the "Air Raids" are using mobile qb's now.)

Other than Arkansas Ellis excelled against pro set/I formation teams. And he was better than most against the others, but so many times when he was here we got burnt by mobile qb's.
Don't know many defenses that do well consistently against a true running QB that can throw the ball. It's more like you choose your poison. UF seemed to better at it than most...but they are unbelievably fast and talented.

Best defense in the best conference. We can say they don't stop the HUNH. But who does it better than they do?

Well okay.

Now tell me about the schools that stop the "spread HUNH" offense. What's their secret?

Tell me the defense out there that regularly shuts down spread offenses that are at the top of their game? That said, a 4-3 base defense (or 4-2-5), seem to do better than 3 man fronts. Well if they have quick and fast de's.

Well, obviously, if I knew the answers to those questions I'd no longer be an arm chair coach, AD, and president now would I?

EJ had our defense rolling. He also had some of the best assistants also to handle their respective positions. While I agree we had nothing for Arkansas, they were stacked with nfl talent, not many other people did either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT