ADVERTISEMENT

If Smart is the guy, the offense has to be old school pro style?

JSpears5

Aug 4, 2008
Smart currently coaches defenses that are ultra talented and run huge inside linemen and LBs to stop the run. With this style, I think he will want to run a pro style run first offense to protect that defense, just like you see at Alabama. While I think he has done a great job, does that style work anymore without having the best personnel in every position. You got the best recruits and any system can work, but the wide open O came from finding a way to exploit big Bama/Big Ten type defenses. I am not sure you can run a HUHN or pass happy offense and keep that defense fresh, you have to push a inside the tackles/play action offense. Maybe Smart comes into head job with a different ideas, but is that why you hired him?

In the end, to me, this hire has work out to new school vs old school. The question is to me, can you build an old school program with the talent on this team in the next few years until you could build up a different style. I do not think it is like Rich Rod to Michigan change, but I could see an amazing amount of struggle against HUHN offense for several years.

It is more of a case where you think the game of college football is going

IIRC, Smart runs a 3-4 defense. He's going to have to get the linemen and linebackers to run that scheme. It will take a few years. As far as offense, just hope he doesn't try to be as conservative as Muschamp tried to be at Florida. My fear is that most defensive coaches have a conservative offensive philosophy.

Smart currently coaches defenses that are ultra talented and run huge inside linemen and LBs to stop the run. With this style, I think he will want to run a pro style run first offense to protect that defense, just like you see at Alabama. While I think he has done a great job, does that style work anymore without having the best personnel in every position. You got the best recruits and any system can work, but the wide open O came from finding a way to exploit big Bama/Big Ten type defenses. I am not sure you can run a HUHN or pass happy offense and keep that defense fresh, you have to push a inside the tackles/play action offense. Maybe Smart comes into head job with a different ideas, but is that why you hired him?

In the end, to me, this hire has work out to new school vs old school. The question is to me, can you build an old school program with the talent on this team in the next few years until you could build up a different style. I do not think it is like Rich Rod to Michigan change, but I could see an amazing amount of struggle against HUHN offense for several years.

It is more of a case where you think the game of college football is going
Insiders from TOS say that Smart would likely install a spread/tempo offense as a head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT