ADVERTISEMENT

If Tanner supported this Beamer raise, he once again proves his incompetence.

Southern Fried Chicken

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2022
He gives the song 'I started a joke' a whole new meaning.

BEAMER BALL .... LOL!, LOL!, LOL! ..... And South Carolina is ONLY 49th in education??? Difficult to believe!!!

Tanner isn’t the best A/D in the world. And thats another topic. But I agree with Beamer’s raise. Carolina paying the lowest in the SEC looked bad. It was actually kind of embarrassing to be on that end of the list.

I’m not 100% convinced that we have landed because of two big wins and a competitive showing using mostly 2nd string players against ND. But from the outside looking in- it looks like the culture is much improved from when Muschamp was here. Hopefully next season this momentum keeps up.

Last edited:
Tanner isn’t the best A/D in the world. And if he gets a pay increase it’s not deserved imo. But I agree with Beamer’s raise. Carolina paying the lowest in the SEC looks bad.

AND STUPID LOOKS WORSE!!!
And what does Gump's Mama try to teach him????? "STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!!!"
LOL!!! Go Gamecocks, for another 115 years of stupidity!!! LOL!!!

Six and a half million dollars a year is ninth best in the SEC for head coaches
Must we compete in the coaching salary horse race? I say let's be innovative. If Beamer can find a better spot for him at a higher salary, let him go. We aren't ever winning a National Championship or competing for talent, so why not win as much as we can on the cheap. We should only hire coaches or coordinators from Div 2 or 3 schools and treat them like they are on a rookie contract in the NFL. If after 3 years, you've proven yourself, you get a raise. Otherwise, cut bait.

The real irony is just yesterday fans were complaining we needed to donate more money to keep players like Burch.

Now we're spending millions more on a football coach. It just shows we're behind the times. As the game is changing in front of our eyes, we keep responding to what was popular 4 years ago.

If Rattler doesn't come back... God help us.

If we didn’t pay him and he left for a big pay day. The same ones bitching today would be bitching about that too.

The bitch about everything is pretty old. House taters = #clemsoning

Go Gamecocks
When does the madness end? I honestly do not care about the game anymore as currently constituted. It has become a gigantic mess who no one wants to clean up. The answer seems to be more money as if there is an endless supply somewhere to pay $6.5 million a year to a coach in his third year. His success is really gauged by 3 fantastic victories and a number of mediocre victories, sprinkled with some embarrassing losses. Why can't we just put our foot down and say no to entitled coaches like we would to an entitled teen? If this is really a dream job and he truly loves the school, then a million dollar raise shouldn't drive him out of town. If it dies, well thanks for the memories and bye.

The real irony is just yesterday fans were complaining we needed to donate more money to keep players like Burch.

Now we're spending millions more on a football coach. It just shows we're behind the times. As the game is changing in front of our eyes, we keep responding to what was popular 4 years ago.

If Rattler doesn't come back... God help us.
How much are y'all paying Dabo?

The good wins were that, good wins. And the bad losses were that, bad losses. That's a big bump in pay for an average season and a mass exodus of the top talent. I think Tanner knows there will be a drop off in wins next year and had to get Shane the money this year. Time will tell if he can coach them up.

The good wins were that, good wins. And the bad losses were that, bad losses. That's a big bump in pay for an average season and a mass exodus of the top talent. I think Tanner knows there will be a drop off in wins next year and had to get Shane the money this year. Time will tell if he can coach them up.

Agreed. He's earned a raise, and 9th in the sec is reasonable. I just hope the buyout was left reasonable. No need the replay the muschamp debacle, which seems similar after year two.

Agreed. He's earned a raise, and 9th in the sec is reasonable. I just hope the buyout was left reasonable. No need the replay the muschamp debacle, which seems similar after year two.

The problem is the buyout is just the salary these days.

You're right that Beamer earned a raise, but now there is no way to fire him for the next 4 seasons because we owe him so much money.

It's the same thing he did with Muschamp. He basically gave him a salary big enough that the school has to give him time to recover from bad years. The problem is when you fall into that hole it's really hard to dig out so it just sets the program back further.

We got lucky that Muschamp recruited well and left a lot of talent on the roster.

• Haha
Reactions: gpcocks
If we didn’t pay him and he left for a big pay day. The same ones bitching today would be bitching about that too.

The bitch about everything is pretty old. House taters = #clemsoning

Go Gamecocks
Bitchy cock fans?

1137329b-61d4-4708-96e2-358e339ca2a0_text.gif

Six and a half million dollars a year is ninth best in the SEC for head coaches.

Just like Everett Dirksen said years ago ..... "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking real money.".

$6.5 million, a year. That's $125,000 per week, for several years. Does ANYONE in your neighborhood or family make that kind of money? AND, just in case, the performance is determined to be unsatisfactory, the guaranteed buy-out will pay multi-millions of dollars. Do you personally know anyone with that kind of security blanket?

Who was that now bankrupt, investment house who claimed they made money ... 'the old fashion way, ... we EARN IT!'

Did you ever have to tell your kids, "No. We just can't afford it."???

Reactions: uscwatson21
It’s impressive Jimmy Sexton has convinced the fans that they NEED to pay their coach that much money.

It’s impressive Jimmy Sexton has convinced the fans that they NEED to pay their coach that much money.

In another thread ... 'Have You Ever Had to Tell Your Kids. You Can't Afford It?', 'Forkcock' quoted me/replied "You and Watson were busy today".

I'm going to go back and give him a "LIKE". Join me, if you will kind Sir.

The problem is the buyout is just the salary these days.

You're right that Beamer earned a raise, but now there is no way to fire him for the next 4 seasons because we owe him so much money.
Is there different kinds of buyouts?

"Beamer’s buyout remained unchanged from the original agreement, owing South Carolina $5 million if he were to leave in the next year. The deal reduces that amount by $1 million each subsequent year he remains coach."

I interpret this as if he is fired then the reverse would happen and South Carolina would owe Coach Beamer five million if fired next season and will be reduced by one million each year until contract expiration date, but I could be mistaken.

https://www.kxnet.com/scoreboard/south-carolinas-beamer-gets-big-raise-in-new-contract/

Is there different kinds of buyouts?

"Beamer’s buyout remained unchanged from the original agreement, owing South Carolina $5 million if he were to leave in the next year. The deal reduces that amount by $1 million each subsequent year he remains coach."

I interpret this as if he is fired then the reverse would happen and South Carolina would owe Coach Beamer five million if fired next season and will be reduced by one million each year until contract expiration date, but I could be mistaken.

https://www.kxnet.com/scoreboard/south-carolinas-beamer-gets-big-raise-in-new-contract/
I stand corrected. If fired without cause, the buyout will by 65 percent of his remaining contract. If South Carolina fired Coach Beamer today South Carolina would have to pay 65 percent of 33 million dollars which would be 21.5 million and would roughly reduce each season until contract termination.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. If fired without cause, the buyout will by 65 percent of his remaining contract. If South Carolina fired Coach Beamer today South Carolina would have to pay 65 percent of 33 million dollars which would be 21.5 million and would roughly reduce each season until contract termination.

Well that's honestly better than I expected.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Must we compete in the coaching salary horse race? I say let's be innovative. If Beamer can find a better spot for him at a higher salary, let him go. We aren't ever winning a National Championship or competing for talent, so why not win as much as we can on the cheap. We should only hire coaches or coordinators from Div 2 or 3 schools and treat them like they are on a rookie contract in the NFL. If after 3 years, you've proven yourself, you get a raise. Otherwise, cut bait.
This may be the worst post in any forum that I have ever seen. #cluelessinVidalia!

Reactions: swamp fox1
This may be the worst post in any forum that I have ever seen. #cluelessinVidalia!
There are only 2 conclusions I can draw from your response.

1. You've never read posts on any forums if you think this is the worst; or
2. You think ever growing big salaries to coaches is a fabulous trend and is sustainable.

I run successful businesses and the way college football is run is an unsustainable business model. You can call me clueless, but you don't know me and you'd probably not hold that opinion of me if you did.

2. You think ever growing big salaries to coaches is a fabulous trend and is sustainable.

I run successful businesses and the way college football is run is an unsustainable business model. You can call me clueless, but you don't know me and you'd probably not hold that opinion of me if you did.
✔️✔️✔️

Probably overpaid. I haven't heard the slightest rumor that another program was interested in Beamer. But he catches lightening in a bottle with a couple of unexpected wins and Ray suddenly thinks he has to pay big money. I also remember that salad days when Muschamp beat UGA in Athens and everyone was convinced the corner was turned. Didn't work out that way. Recruiting always seems to win in the end and USC isn't keeping up on that level. Money wasted

He must be a millionaire, as in salary, not total assets.

Probably overpaid. I haven't heard the slightest rumor that another program was interested in Beamer. But he catches lightening in a bottle with a couple of unexpected wins and Ray suddenly thinks he has to pay big money. I also remember that salad days when Muschamp beat UGA in Athens and everyone was convinced the corner was turned. Didn't work out that way. Recruiting always seems to win in the end and USC isn't keeping up on that level. Money wasted

While the UT and Clemson wins were fun, they probably hurt us in the long run.

I guess 65% without cause ain't too bad. The problem is "cause" doesnt cover as many things as it should.

Reactions: ForeUSC

Or this one

“The problem is, no one would actually hire him away.”

There are a few post on here that shed serious light on the op’s

I guess 65% without cause ain't too bad. The problem is "cause" doesnt cover as many things as it should.
I guess cause is for off the field conduct or knowingly violating the NCAA rules in which Hugh Freeze was guilty of both at Mississippi. This is a tough conference so I would not fire a coach with cause based on wins or losses. However I might have fired Coach Muschamp with cause (if these rumors are true about 2018 bowl game against Virginia) for not doing the best to prepare a football team for a bowl game for given time off and not practicing the full authorized amount time allowed

Also I would resist paying a buyout if I fired a coach and the coach encourage the players to transfer to another school of decommit from South Carolina like Horn and Coach Martin did.

Reactions: bucketdad
I guess cause is for off the field conduct or knowingly violating the NCAA rules in which Hugh Freeze was guilty of both at Mississippi. This is a tough conference so I would not fire a coach with cause based on wins or losses. However I might have fired Coach Muschamp with cause (if these rumors are true about 2018 bowl game against Virginia) for not doing the best to prepare a football team for a bowl game for given time off and not practicing the full authorized amount time allowed

Also I would resist paying a buyout if I fired a coach and the coach encourage the players to transfer to another school of decommit from South Carolina like Horn and Coach Martin did.
I agree that it would be difficult to fire based on wins and losses. Kinda wish you could, but I understand why not. That said, I would even moreso like wins and losses to be a factor if say year one was your best year and you just finished up year four. To me, that's failure and at some point, failure should be cause.
Additionally, on the point of development, let's say you are the baseball coach, and that being a game of statistics, let's say your stats say your team batting average fails improve after an extended length of time. And that the number of draftable players you produce takes a nose dive. That again should be cause. In fact two counts of cause.
Lol. Then again, I probably I expect too much in the business of today's game.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
While the UT and Clemson wins were fun, they probably hurt us in the long run.
I wouldn't say it hurt, a win over Clemson rarely does. But I also think it also could be a little bit of fools gold. I think Clemson just felt they could roll their helmets out on the field and win. Felt all year that Clemson was not as powerful as years past, but was living in the past and over confident. UT game was the bigger mystery. You hear rumors of NIL issues in the locker room that week in Knoxville, but I don't know how that explains UT just not showing up. But the wins are better than not getting them. But it still doesn't change the overall trajectory of things. Over time, talent always wins out. And USC just cannot match either in recruiting. And forget matching Bama and UGA. Beamer has done a decent job, and has had some good fortune that has been good for him. But USC has a history of overpaying at the slightest hint of success. Then when it comes to light a couple years later that the corner isn't turned, or worse, they find themselves in a financial bind like they did with Will and Frank

I wouldn't say it hurt, a win over Clemson rarely does. But I also think it also could be a little bit of fools gold. I think Clemson just felt they could roll their helmets out on the field and win. Felt all year that Clemson was not as powerful as years past, but was living in the past and over confident. UT game was the bigger mystery. You hear rumors of NIL issues in the locker room that week in Knoxville, but I don't know how that explains UT just not showing up. But the wins are better than not getting them. But it still doesn't change the overall trajectory of things. Over time, talent always wins out. And USC just cannot match either in recruiting. And forget matching Bama and UGA. Beamer has done a decent job, and has had some good fortune that has been good for him. But USC has a history of overpaying at the slightest hint of success. Then when it comes to light a couple years later that the corner isn't turned, or worse, they find themselves in a financial bind like they did with Will and Frank
You make very valid points, but on the recruiting, during Spurrier's tenure, we were battling for top recruits against the top schools, which is where our success came from

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT