ADVERTISEMENT

If we ran a true NFL pro set would it make a difference

superflyby

Mar 12, 2007
Monroe NC
...in our play. It is a FACT that execution is the key to success. The defenses are loading up on smaller DB and linebackers in a trade off for speed. If we switched and went to a pro set then several things come into play. The defenses are not as used to the pro set and it allows bigger players with designed routes rather than trying to give what the defense gives you. You could use it as a major recruiting advantage by preparing players for the NFL instead of making them players in a system that has to adapt. You can sell the best players on the "we play NFL football". It might be a little out there considering what all others are doing. It you execute the play does it really matter if you get off the play fast....or use your allotted time. Just more food for thought.....

If you are going this way, you need to really be aces at recruiting offensive linemen. That is one thing I think we will always struggle at.

Wisconsin? Stanford? Georgia? Alabama? Heck a lot of the Big 10 schools. But I don't think we would do very well at it.

If you are going this way, you need to really be aces at recruiting offensive linemen. That is one thing I think we will always struggle at.

Wisconsin? Stanford? Georgia? Alabama? Heck a lot of the Big 10 schools. But I don't think we would do very well at it.
I guess my point was...you use that as a recruiting tool. The best high school players are coming to college for one thing....the NFL. They all have dreams of it but lets face it, the ones that make it are few and far between and I don't know if that has more to do with them playing 3 years in a system that is not an NFL springboard or if it's something else. The fact that you could be one of the few teams that could use it as a selling point has it's own advantages.....

I guess my point was...you use that as a recruiting tool. The best high school players are coming to college for one thing....the NFL. They all have dreams of it but lets face it, the ones that make it are few and far between and I don't know if that has more to do with them playing 3 years in a system that is not an NFL springboard or if it's something else. The fact that you could be one of the few teams that could use it as a selling point has it's own advantages.....

To qb's and wr's maybe.

Look I believe this state sucks at producing offensive linemen. At least compared to places like Wisconsin, and many of the southern states like Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. NC too, come to think of it.

I also believe that highly recruited offensive linemen are some of the hardest guys to pull out of other states. So if you take the two beliefs, what do you get?

Stanford under Harbaugh had no trouble recruiting a number of guys on the OL who went highly in the draft. My take is that offensive linemen tend to know the score better, and understand exactly what a Stanford degree could do for them. They probably didn't need to leave California much, but I wouldn't bat an eyelash if a five star OL from Dallas signed with Stanford over Texas and Texas A&M.

Wouldn't you, after all? Heck I'd do it if I thought Stanford would be lucky to win four games my whole time there. It's all about the main man, and the main man needs his money when he graduates, whether he becomes a pro or not. And well, that Alabama and Georgia money...

Not enough for the main man. Heck a Stanford degree is worth more than the Clemson bag man pays in the long run. A lot more.

To qb's and wr's maybe.

Look I believe this state sucks at producing offensive linemen. At least compared to places like Wisconsin, and many of the southern states like Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. NC too, come to think of it.

I also believe that highly recruited offensive linemen are some of the hardest guys to pull out of other states. So if you take the two beliefs, what do you get?

Stanford under Harbaugh had no trouble recruiting a number of guys on the OL who went highly in the draft. My take is that offensive linemen tend to know the score better, and understand exactly what a Stanford degree could do for them. They probably didn't need to leave California much, but I wouldn't bat an eyelash if a five star OL from Dallas signed with Stanford over Texas and Texas A&M.

Wouldn't you, after all? Heck I'd do it if I thought Stanford would be lucky to win four games my whole time there. It's all about the main man, and the main man needs his money when he graduates, whether he becomes a pro or not. And well, that Alabama and Georgia money...

Not enough for the main man. Heck a Stanford degree is worth more than the Clemson bag man pays in the long run. A lot more.
I wasn't talking about going head to head with the academic advantages of a Stanford degree...lol. If you pulled one of the top 5 from just our recruiting area you could fill the line with quality players. That really wouldn't be that hard of a sell with the right advantages....none of which will trump a degree from Stanford...or Harvard...or Yale...or Princeton...or...well you get the idea.

I wasn't talking about going head to head with the academic advantages of a Stanford degree...lol. If you pulled one of the top 5 from just our recruiting area you could fill the line with quality players. That really wouldn't be that hard of a sell with the right advantages....none of which will trump a degree from Stanford...or Harvard...or Yale...or Princeton...or...well you get the idea.

My point is Stanford has something they can go across the country and recruit against teams like Texas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, etc.

I don't know what hook we would use, because I think just us running the pro set wouldn't work.

Recruiting and developing offensive linemen is key to any system you run. We are running a spread type offense because that is the kind of offense that having a weak offensive line hurts you the least and because the are decent in pass protection at least even though they can't run block worth a darn. It still limits you when you can't line up and hand the ball off and pick up some yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT