ADVERTISEMENT

If we win the toss, can we please defer and go on defense first? Just to shake things up,

I would give this post 1M likes if I could. I know we scored on the first drive against Vandy but I would be shocked if we score ANY points on that first drive at a clip greater then 10%.

Reactions: sadd66
I would think, at home, you defer and immediately keep your fans IN the game by putting their offense on the field. On the road, defer, and immediately take their fans OUT of it by putting their offense on the field.

Reactions: slufstuff
No! Because our offense is all gas, no brakes and we can’t wait to put dem points on da board!!!!RollLaugh

It seems much better for us to defer:

I hope all these analysts we have can figure this out for our coaching staff.

1) We avoid the first drive turnover
2) We avoid going 3 and out and immediately giving them field position
3) Whatever scripted offensive plays we are so excited about and want the ball first, probably aren't that good, and won't work, especially with Bentley being inaccurate to start or if he is accurate our guys will drop it.
4) Getting the ball at halftime gives us a chance to get back in a game or further our lead (I wish this was commonplace)

Last edited:
I would think, at home, you defer and immediately keep your fans IN the game by putting their offense on the field. On the road, defer, and immediately take their fans OUT of it by putting their offense on the field.
This exactly. I have been perplexed at us always taking the opening kick. I bet the opposing coach's love getting the second half kick off, whether they win the toss or not.

Reactions: GC-Gamecock
I believe you defer just about every time. The only situation I would want the ball first is if I feel like My team is by far the worse team.

In that instance, I would try to shorten the game and set the tone by trying to go on a 10-15 play, half a quarter eating drive to start out.

Basically turn an hour game into 45 minutes before the more talented team (like Alabama) even gets to touch the ball. It also puts pressure on that next drive or risks them falling behind 2 scores at the end of a quarter.

It seems much better for us to defer:

I hope all these analysts we have can figure this out for our coaching staff.

1) We avoid the first drive turnover
2) We avoid going 3 and out and immediately giving them field position
3) Whatever scripted offensive plays we are so excited about and want the ball first, probably aren't that good, and won't work, especially with Bentley being inaccurate to start or if he is accurate our guys will drop it.
4) Getting the ball at halftime gives us a chance to get back in a game or further our lead (I wish this was commonplace)

You nailed it.

Reactions: Gradstudent
So how many coin tosses has Carolina won this year?

Cause we can't choose if we don't win.... not sure the usuals understand that.

And to be fair I don't know cause I go to the games and I am usually barely getting up the ramp by then.....that last beer delays me YO

We seem to dig ourselves a hole in the first half every game anyway. Would certainly be nice to start the second half on O.
that is because we stumble around and bounce off of one another much the same as Brownian movement which occurs in high school chemistry labs-one happy molecule after another. in the 2nd half we have largely spent our random energy and things move to a more sedate state of affairs RollLaughRollLaugh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT