ADVERTISEMENT

Miss State Game- Good, Bad,and ugly

detective29

Oct 17, 2002
The good

We are 13-1 and 1-0 in the conference

We played good defense when we needed to in order to win

We hit the boards hard and out rebounded them by about 10

Cooper had 7 assists which was more than half of our total.

We got to the line 26 times and miss state only 14.

The bad

Mack and Cooper can't throw it in the ocean If they were neck deep (combined 2 of 15)

These same two guys missed 4 free throws with under a minute left that would have given us a comfortable 10 point win instead of Meechie having to make a steal to keep miss state from having a chance to take the lead with under 15 seconds to go.

The ugly

Our defense allowed them to stay in the game by letting them shoot 52% for the majority of the game before they stepped up at the end.

Josh Gray.... He comes in, gets 3 fouls on what I swear was three possessions and leaves.

I again mention, free throw shooting with under a minute to go. Meechie did his job. The rest? Not even close.

My takes

I am happy for the win. More positive than negative came from this game. I guess my frustration comes from seeing what this team COULD do if they play to their potential and what will happen with lapses like I saw today. I am not a critic. Just a fan who supports the University and wants to see them do well in all sports. If Mack, Cooper, and Clark can shoot better (or in Clarks case, shoot it) and make 40% of their shots with what we have at other positions we will have a chance in most games. We gutted it out today. Most other teams,won't be that forgiving. Go Cocks.

The good

The bad

Mack and Cooper can't throw it in the ocean If they were neck deep (combined 2 of 15)

These same two guys missed 4 free throws with under a minute left that would have given us a comfortable 10 point win instead of Meechie having to make a steal to keep miss state from having a chance to take the lead with under 15 seconds to go.

The ugly

Our defense allowed them to stay in the game by letting them shoot 52% for the majority of the game before they stepped up at the end.

Josh Gray.... He comes in, gets 3 fouls on what I swear was three possessions and leaves.

I again mention, free throw shooting with under a minute to go. Meechie did his job. The rest? Not even close.

My takes

I am happy for the win. More positive than negative came from this game. I guess my frustration comes from seeing what this team COULD do if they play to their potential and what will happen with lapses like I saw today. I am not a critic. Just a fan who supports the University and wants to see them do well in all sports. If Mack, Cooper, and Clark can shoot better (or in Clarks case, shoot it) and make 40% of their shots with what we have at other positions we will have a chance in most games. We gutted it out today. Most other teams,won't be that forgiving. Go Cocks.
I actually think Mississippi State is a Top Half of the league team. Two mobile bigs. Good athleticism on the wings. They don’t shoot it great, but they will get their share of wins. I thought we responded well because I think we were a little overwhelmed with their athleticism early. I think we got tight because wanted to get a win so badly. This is the first real crowd they have had for a home game this year. Sometimes, you have to get a win when you don’t play your best. Game balls to Meechie, Stute for keeping us in the game early, and the kid Murray-Boyles. I think we take a step up when we get MB in the starting lineup.

Good win. This team has, for the most part overachieved this season. Hope that continues.

One thing I noticed when we hired Lamont was that his teams total record and conference record and/or standing improved every year he was at UT-Chattanooga. To me, that's a sign of a well-coached program. I'm excited to see what he will do here.

The good

The bad

The ugly

My takes

And one of Gray’s fouls was actually a foul. Go watch CMB’s missed dunk which was no foul called. Then go watch Josh’s alleged 3.

The good

The bad

The ugly

My takes

The bad: sloppy, lazy passes.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
And one of Gray’s fouls was actually a foul. Go watch CMB’s missed dunk which was no foul called. Then go watch Josh’s alleged 3.
I was busy doing something and only saw one of Grays fouls. Went back and looked again at all of them...i a m not so sure the ref was calling by the rule as much as reputation. Hard to stay in the game when a hard look gets a a foul called on you. oh well... We won.

I've yet to see why Watson is starting, maybe just experience on the floor. Does anyone know where Bosmans-Verdonk was, to me he is a better option than Watson or Gray!

I think we got some valuable film on playing against a team that plays tenacious D and has some serviceable bigs, getting those guys in foul trouble might have been the key to winning! Somebody needs to be shooting extra free throws this week.

If Meechie goes down we're in big trouble, Davis is sneaky good!

I was busy doing something and only saw one of Grays fouls. Went back and looked again at all of them...i a m not so sure the ref was calling by the rule as much as reputation. Hard to stay in the game when a hard look gets a a foul called on you. oh well... We won.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again; college MBB is almost unwatchable due to the inconsistencies from refs. A lot of nights, I'll channel-surf until I find a BB game - a lot of times, two teams I'd never seek out to watch (Utah St. Vs Wyoming or some-such). No vested interest, no bias.... It seems that on every possession there will be a blatant missed call, or a foul called where there was basically no contact.

It's kind of like the double-play action at 2nd base; The SS never touched the bag as he swiped his foot past, but because its a common routine thing, it's seen as automatic.
A guy goes up to shoot underneath, or makes a layup with someone **near** him and it **must** be a foul because that's how it routinely goes. Officiating is just generally TERRIBLE.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; college MBB is almost unwatchable due to the inconsistencies from refs. A lot of nights, I'll channel-surf until I find a BB game - a lot of times, two teams I'd never seek out to watch (Utah St. Vs Wyoming or some-such). No vested interest, no bias.... It seems that on every possession there will be a blatant missed call, or a foul called where there was basically no contact.

It's kind of like the double-play action at 2nd base; The SS never touched the bag as he swiped his foot past, but because its a common routine thing, it's seen as automatic.
A guy goes up to shoot underneath, or makes a layup with someone **near** him and it **must** be a foul because that's how it routinely goes. Officiating is just generally TERRIBLE.
Terrible is being generous. What used to be good defense is now a foul. The "LeBron rule" has unfortunately trickled down into college sports. If anybody reading this is a LeBron fan, sorry.

Reactions: Neanderthal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT