ADVERTISEMENT

If you could give Shane Beamer one (or two) pieces of advice, what would they be?

ken in sacramento

Jan 16, 2000
I would tell him to think BIG. Go after great recruits nationwide, talk openly about winning the SEC, and about how this program is going to be playing at the highest levels. I would not buy into small ball talk about winning 7-8 games as good enough. Speak and make people believe that it's inevitable South Carolina will be back in prime time. Bring the enthusiasm and energy! Don't shy away from or be afraid of being at the big boy table. Expect it.

Also- bring some fun and joy back to the program.

Be yourself and be genuine even if it’s not popular. Don’t try to be Lincoln Riley, don’t try to be Steve Spurrier, don’t try to be Nick Saban and certainly don’t try to be your Dad. Surround yourself with people who are obsessed with building a program and not their resumes (the resume part takes care of itself if you do the first part right). Lastly, know you’re weakness and find the people who will compensate for that.

Surround yourself with the best possible assistants, coordinators etc. We know Ray can be talked into spending ridiculous amounts of money, so go after the best and tell Ray that's who you've got to have, and what it will cost. Go after the 5 star recruits that everyone tells you won't come to USC. All they can do is say yes or no. Just the fact that you're on some of their lists will give us some credibility. Don't be afraid to ask for advice of those who have had great amounts of success. That includes big questions like how to build a program and small questions like, "how did you beat team A".

Surround yourself with the best possible assistants, coordinators etc. We know Ray can be talked into spending ridiculous amounts of money, so go after the best and tell Ray that's who you've got to have, and what it will cost. Go after the 5 star recruits that everyone tells you won't come to USC. All they can do is say yes or no. Just the fact that you're on some of their lists will give us some credibility. Don't be afraid to ask for advice of those who have had great amounts of success. That includes big questions like how to build a program and small questions like, "how did you beat team A".
That - you stole my thunder!

Reactions: importcock
Fire everyone on the current staff and don’t consider putting ANYONE who has ever had anything to do with SC football on your staff.

Reactions: mUSiC-man
I would tell him, Don't listen to the fans or you'll be one of them. Also, if you so what you love it ain't work!

Reactions: rogue cock
Don't let fan excitement carry you away. If you start out winning a few, people around here will declare you the next Bear Bryant. There's no thermals carrying you high above the rough air here....take it all in stride.....as you enjoy the ride. Build for the duration.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
You can't possibly put enough focus on the offensive line. It's the one position group we've never excelled at. Hire the best oline coach you can get, constantly reevaluate him. Sign 5 olinemen every year. When attrition hits on the oline, and it will, it's NEVER an overnight fix. The goal should be between 18-20 OLs on roster at all times split evenly across graduating classes. Use JUCO and transfer rules. The SEC has the best dlines in the country. You will only be successful if you address this issue from day 1. Waiting until year 2 or 3 will put you too far behind and you'll never catch up.

Scheme can help to overcome that to some degree. Push hard for the best OC you can find. You're rumored to possibly have the smallest salary in all of the SEC. You have a duty to yourself and this program to ask for as much as it takes to bring in an OC that will do more with less and do it every year despite attrition.

Dline is 2nd in priority and I only say that because we've had great dlines before. Still it's a must in the SEC. We'll likely have to wait until next signing class to land a pass rusher but you've got to get one early. The last staff landed talented DLs but we lack speed on the end. Find that guy now. He'll immediately make our entire secondary better.

Your point about pursuing (and landing) 5 stars no one thinks will come to SC is a good one. If he can't do that, it doesn't matter much what he says to the fanbase, how great his attitude is, or for the most part who he hires.

Reactions: importcock
1. Some fans coaching suggestions are always limited to former coaches and players at Carolina. I guess that is all they know about football. Don't listen!

2. Get rid of Sandstorm and get some real rock music similar to Va Tech's Enter Sandman!

Reactions: bucketdad
Never assume you’re the smartest guy in the room. I’m sure he has heard this one. Most people have. But many can’t help themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT