ADVERTISEMENT

If you're not in the top 10 or so. Does it really matter

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Where you are ranked in recruiting ?
Is there really a big different in the #15 class compared to the #30 class ?
I mean has UK ever beat USC in recruiting ranks ?
Has USC ever beat UF,UT, or UGA in ranking ? But we've beat them on the field.

Yeah I see what you’re saying...

You do need to average a Top 10 class for 4 years to get in the playoff or play for a national championship though. There are very few exceptions to this over the past 10-15 years.

Auburn in 2010 is one (averaged about 15th ranked class), but they had one of the best college QB’s ever

Good point. I think the coaching aspect has been lost in all of this. Wisconsin is a perfect example, look where they are, somewhere in the 30's this about where they usually end up. I do not know what the hell they do up there because they must "coach them up" better than anyone in the nation. I think we are developing that type of staff. We are never going to be a perennial top 10 recruiting school. Never. There are too many blue bloods ahead, we can however develop.

Reactions: Judson1
Good point. I think the coaching aspect has been lost in all of this. Wisconsin is a perfect example, look where they are, somewhere in the 30's this about where they usually end up. I do not know what the hell they do up there because they must "coach them up" better than anyone in the nation. I think we are developing that type of staff. We are never going to be a perennial top 10 recruiting school. Never. There are too many blue bloods ahead, we can however develop.

Completely dissagree, if klempson can recruit in the top 10 every year we sure as hell can. From 1992-2010 they did not win a single acc title. All the while powerhouses like Maryland and gt did. Did you see Wisconsin’s schedule or watch them play us in 2014? Their athleticism is not on par. The schools that recruit in the top 10 every year are the ones that win the championships. That is not a coincidence.

Completely dissagree, if klempson can recruit in the top 10 every year we sure as hell can. From 1992-2010 they did not win a single acc title. All the while powerhouses like Maryland and gt did. Did you see Wisconsin’s schedule or watch them play us in 2014? Their athleticism is not on par. The schools that recruit in the top 10 every year are the ones that win the championships. That is not a coincidence.
I agree , Wisconsin has the size. But not the speed .

Michigan State and Oklahoma recently made the playoffs without without consistently recruiting highly ranked classes. Recruiting is important. Recruiting players to fit needs is even more important. Recruiting rankings are not as important.

Michigan State and Oklahoma recently made the playoffs without without consistently recruiting highly ranked classes. Recruiting is important. Recruiting players to fit needs is even more important. Recruiting rankings are not as important.

Did you see Michigan st play bama? Mmmk

I was under the impression Oklahoma does very well in recruiting.

Reactions: funktavious
Did you see Michigan st play bama? Mmmk

My statement was as a reply to another poster that stated a team needed to average a top 10 class for 4 years to get in the playoff.
Do you think coaches care about star or class rankings, or evaluating players to fit their needs? Fans care about recruiting class rankings.

Oklahoma recruits very well, but didn't have a top 10 ranked class leading up to its most recent playoff appearances.

2011class: ranked 13
2012: 12
2013: 16
2014: 14
2015: 14
2016: 19

A difference maker at qb makes all the difference. He was a transfer walk on. That is truly amazing.

Oklahoma recruits very well, but didn't have a top 10 ranked class leading up to its most recent playoff appearances.

Maybe that's why they didn't get to the finals. Not enough total talent. But they were better than anyone at the position that matters most. Maybe that's why they finally got to the playoffs. Also, they didn't have a Georgia or Alabama in their league. That helped also.

We proved it's possible to finish top 10 three years in a row with classes ranked in the mid to upper teens. Similarly, we proved it's possible to go 3-9 with classes ranked in the mid to upper teens. It's a combination of evaluations and rankings.

That said, if you want to win a national title, you probably need some top 10 classes. Or at the very least have 5-star level talent at QB or RB.

We proved it's possible to finish top 10 three years in a row with classes ranked in the mid to upper teens. Similarly, we proved it's possible to go 3-9 with classes ranked in the mid to upper teens. It's a combination of evaluations and rankings.

That said, if you want to win a national title, you probably need some top 10 classes. Or at the very least have 5-star level talent at QB or RB.
If you want to win the national championship, you have to be loaded.

Obviously these star ratings are very subjective, and there is a thin line between a 5 star and a 4 star. You can have a rating of 5.9 and be considered a 5 star and another guy have a rating of 5.8 and is considered a 4 star. To me its all about development of the players. How well Muschamp develops these guy will determine on the success of this team. Say what you want about Clemson but there are doing an incredible job of making these guys better...and somehow convincing them to stay an additional year.

If you want to win the national championship, you have to be loaded.

And deep. (both in talent and secret money distribution to athletes.) I don't mean to be cynical, but clem has nothing more to offer than USC. I can't believe that Jeff Scott is such a good recruiter he can draw kids from Missouri and all over the nation. It just doesn't add up.

Also, it doesn't matter so much what your class looks like in February. It matters more what it looks like in August.

Reactions: BigTomE
I haven't read all of the threads above but I do remember Fat Brad had at least one top 15 recruiting class and maybe a couple around 15 or 16. Fat Brad wasn't able to do much with those classes. But, I think Muschamp is laying the foundation for good things to come. If we have a couple of more good seasons like we've had in last year and really the year before I think we could start seeing some top 10 recruiting classes.

It’s all about getting quality players. Late spurrier year was filled with huge busts. Our recruiting looked good on paper but half the guys in those classes transferred, or quit football to become a rapper. Some had to quit for medical reasons as well.

Reactions: jeff2001
And deep. (both in talent and secret money distribution to athletes.) I don't mean to be cynical, but clem has nothing more to offer than USC. I can't believe that Jeff Scott is such a good recruiter he can draw kids from Missouri and all over the nation. It just doesn't add up.
I know most of y’all think he is a clown and will soon come crashing down, but Dabo is the key to all of this. When he leaves, for whatever reason, the Clemson football program will take a serious hit. Here’s hoping that is a long time from now.

My statement was as a reply to another poster that stated a team needed to average a top 10 class for 4 years to get in the playoff.
Do you think coaches care about star or class rankings, or evaluating players to fit their needs? Fans care about recruiting class rankings.

Average team ranking for trailing 4 years for teams who have made playoff- 10.14

Average team ranking for trailing 4 years for teams who have made playoff- 10.14

9 teams have made the college football playoff since its inception, 4 (Oregon, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Washington) of which did not have consecutive top 10 ranked classes. I am not saying, or even implying, that recruiting is not important. But I will argue, because history has proven otherwise, that 4 consecutive top ten classes are not a prerequisite for making the playoffs.

9 teams have made the college football playoff since its inception, 4 (Oregon, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Washington) of which did not have consecutive top 10 ranked classes. I am not saying, or even implying, that recruiting is not important. But I will argue, because history has proven otherwise, that 4 consecutive top ten classes are not a prerequisite for making the playoffs.

Sorry to burst your bubble
Since 1998 every team that has won a national title except for Oklahoma in 2000 has had at least two top ten national signing classes in the four years before a title. So while signing a top ten recruiting class doesn’t guarantee that you’re going to win a national title — indeed, there are plenty of teams that don’t — for most of the past generation, you can’t win a title without at least two top ten recruiting classes. More interestingly, every champion from the past nine years with the exception of Auburn in 2010 has had at least three top ten recruiting classes in the four years before it won a title.
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/top-ten-signing-classes-are-necessary-for-national-titles-020515/

Sorry to burst your bubble
Since 1998 every team that has won a national title except for Oklahoma in 2000 has had at least two top ten national signing classes in the four years before a title. So while signing a top ten recruiting class doesn’t guarantee that you’re going to win a national title — indeed, there are plenty of teams that don’t — for most of the past generation, you can’t win a title without at least two top ten recruiting classes. More interestingly, every champion from the past nine years with the exception of Auburn in 2010 has had at least three top ten recruiting classes in the four years before it won a title.
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/top-ten-signing-classes-are-necessary-for-national-titles-020515/

Yeah I see what you’re saying...

You do need to average a Top 10 class for 4 years to get in the playoff or play for a national championship though. There are very few exceptions to this over the past 10-15 years.

Auburn in 2010 is one (averaged about 15th ranked class), but they had one of the best college QB’s ever

Again, I posted in response to the above statement. Fact: 4 of the 9 CFP teams haven't averaged top 10 classes for 4 consecutive years prior to their playoff appearance. Why is this so hard to understand?

You also have to have the coaching staff to develop and get the max potential out of those top recruits. You can get all the guys you want, but if they aren't developed or used properly it doesn't mean a thing.

Again, I posted in response to the above statement. Fact: 4 of the 9 CFP teams haven't averaged top 10 classes for 4 consecutive years prior to their playoff appearance. Why is this so hard to understand?

You also have to have the coaching staff to develop and get the max potential out of those top recruits. You can get all the guys you want, but if they aren't developed or used properly it doesn't mean a thing.
There are outliers, but generally you have to have Top 10-15 classes consistently to compete or to win it all. I don't think anyone has won averaging wrpose than 10. Michigan State and Washington are head scratchers. They were actually ranked much lower than you'd even guess. But they both got exposed in playoff.

Having the classes doesn't mean you will do well, but to do well, you almost certainly have to have the highly rated classes.

Right a transcendent qb and imaginative offense is usually what it tskes.

Thankfully the east was a complete disaster. Not showing up at all for the klempson game at all under this staff is nearly unforgivable. W did miss out on the elite d linemen from in state. It seems that turning this thing around takes time. 40 years in, patience is thin these days.

Well other than GA finally stepping up it technically was. And the fact getting the bottom of the West more times than not. Not seeing Bama, but once a decade and LSU and AU ever so often helps. The 9 wins was a beneficiary of the schedule, and it'll probably stay around 7-9 wins this coming season. Depending how the defense regroups after losing a leader and key pieces.

And how many teams on the schedule fired their coaches this past season? Like 4? How often does that happen, I wonder what the record for most opponent coaches fired after a season.

From first glance you would say Wisconsin wasn’t on par but if you dig deeper that Wisconsin team put as many successful guys in the league as us . James White , Melvin Gordon , Cory Clement , Chris Borland , Jared Aberdarius, even Tanner Mcevoy + 2 Olineman . I think Wisconsin always does a dynamic job developing players who may not be blue chip guys . I totally agree with you that if Clemson can recruit at an elite level then we have no excuse . They are on fire right now but they were still pulling top 5 classes when they were 7-5 . You are absolutely correct , Name me one national champion in the last 15 years that didn’t consistently recruit top ten classes .

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
And how many teams on the schedule fired their coaches this past season? Like 4? How often does that happen, I wonder what the record for most opponent coaches fired after a season.

True, crazy circumstances, we had the easiest schedule we have had since i can remember. How many quarters did UT go without scoring an offensive touchdown? It went multiple games. The absolute pooping of the bed against klempson is the biggest issue. That cannot continue. Having less talent is one thing but “deer in headlights “ qb play (especially at home) and effort.....klempson actually appears to play harder...shouldn’t have to worry about effort. 90-17 is an ugly number.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT