ADVERTISEMENT

In Football Recruiting, we REALLY need to start Closing some deals...

savoirspur74

Feb 5, 2003
...ESPECIALLY on these highly-rated guys at positions of need i.e., Wynn, Sandidge, Tindall, etc....Can't get better without it, no matter how well we coach!!! Gotta win these battles Sometimes, Even against the BIG BOYS...

Reactions: cockburg
This year's offense should explosive with the skill position players we have and what I think will be a better coached OL. We recruited everyone of them, not one called and asked if they could play here. I'd put Jake, Rico and Deebo for instance up against any 5* out there. Any school out there would take either one of them and they have some good ones surrounding them. With Skye coming back healthy the defense just got better too. We will get our share down the road but we won't get them all.

This year's offense should explosive with the skill position players we have and what I think will be a better coached OL. We recruited everyone of them, not one called and asked if they could play here. I'd put Jake, Rico and Deebo for instance up against any 5* out there. Any school out there would take either one of them and they have some good ones surrounding them. With Skye coming back healthy the defense just got better too. We will get our share down the road but we won't get them all.
agreed @jimnasium, skai Moore was our prized recruit of this past off season. Getting him back will do great things for our defense.

Reactions: german cock
I believe the only way we can get better players is to have a good offense first, then build the D. And I think we have a great foundation of offensive players right now. Good players want to play and have fun doing it, and there's no better way that to light up the scoreboard. Muschamp will get the players, we need Roper to put the points up.

Yes but you cant get better when you never get any highly ranked players you DO NOT win the sec with 2 and 3 star players!

Reactions: jonesz21
...ESPECIALLY on these highly-rated guys at positions of need i.e., Wynn, Sandidge, Tindall, etc....Can't get better without it, no matter how well we coach!!! Gotta win these battles Sometimes, Even against the BIG BOYS...
Maybe you should pass this suggestion along to WM.

2001 don't wast you time with you post, it make 2 much sense, some people don't want to read this. Old saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. But good post and so true. Go Cocks
People cant say Muschamp isnt giving it all he's got. He and his staff are working hard.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
That may be building to what you want but not yet there. It's all about coaching And Talent on the OL. In 2010, CU had a very nearly complete team lacking only an OL and went 6-7. Kyle Parker had all the toys- Ellington at RB (NFL), Nuk Hopkins and Jaron Brown at WR (both NFL) and Dwayne Allen at TE (NFL). Against decent teams, Parker ran for his life on most plays, looking a lot like Jake did at CU.

Fix that line and you'll have something. Defense under Muschamp at some point will fix itself.

Clemson is on everybody's top 5 schools right now. For now they have took a huge leap. They are at a point where they don't have to recruit hard: however, we need to get the stars that are 1 star less and (Im hemmiraging as I write this) coach them up.

You mention the OL. Any thoughts on who will be starters on our OL this coming season?

You can recruit a kid till the cows come home. If he doesn't want to come to your school then tough.
nah, gotta be our coaches fault....i mean, why wouldnt they all wanna come here? :):) this is something some of our fans will never understand...they think if someone chooses bama or clemson over us our coaches screwed it up somehow.:rolleyes:

You mention the OL. Any thoughts on who will be starters on our OL this coming season?
Helms, Knott and Bailey after that I'd call it a toss up. Park could work in there but with a new coach with different techniques after that who knows. Staying healthy is the thing I think.

Turbeville was successful at Auburn with a bunch of 3 star players. Muschamp will need to do the same here until he can start getting better players. It won't happen overnight and we can all think Spurrier for that.

Reactions: rogue cock
Real downer so far imo. No SEC football program has a greater need for lineman than we do. To lose all the d lineman instate so far does not bode well when our need is so great.I think our coaches are busting it but we are getting too many turn downs from quality d lineman, especially instate. After next year's eligibility runs out for so many of our current dl, the cupboard looks pretty bare. JUCOS sometimes work out but a program that relies too heavily on them is not good, imo. Lack of recruiting and signing d lineman and excuses will not help when it's third and long against many of the opponents we have on our schedule.

nah, gotta be our coaches fault....i mean, why wouldnt they all wanna come here? :):) this is something some of our fans will never understand...they think if someone chooses bama or clemson over us our coaches screwed it up somehow.:rolleyes:
That's not what he said Capt Emoji!
He simply said that we, like tater tek, need to find a way to parlay some 6-7 seasons into recruiting wins on big time kids. Remember that the taters only became players in last 2 years; but were winning battles for kids like Watson, Galman, Williams and some of the D stars...when we were stomping mud holes in their asses 5 straight years.

need to play above our heads to get the recruits attention. Of course you need to win more than expected, but position units need to as well. There is a reason that UGA signs top RB and Clemson signed top WR, because they have Stars year after year. Their fall back guys are good enough to start most places. When there are position units that are so poor that a recruit would automatically be the starter, they do not always look at that as playing time and opportunity. On Dline, they look at that as constant double teams.

I think if we can show improvement on D and have a strong offense then the tide will slowly turn...it was widely known that everyone said (or says) Muschamp can't get it right on offense so I think if he can get that part going then good things might happen.

Last edited:
You can recruit a kid till the cows come home. If he doesn't want to come to your school then tough.

exactly...some of our fans act as if coaches can make prospects choose us...You develop relationships and sell what you have...After 3 very poor seasons, we don't have as much to sell as the schools we are competing with for the top prospects...It's obvious that Muschamp is not going to cheat like i want him to...He has to win 8-9 games this season or it will be more of the same in recruiting...Most recruits choose the path of least resistance to winning...USC does not appear to be a gravy train at this time

Reactions: 67gamecock
exactly...some of our fans act as if coaches can make prospects choose us...You develop relationships and sell what you have...After 3 very poor seasons, we don't have as much to sell as the schools we are competing with for the top prospects...It's obvious that Muschamp is not going to cheat like i want him to...He has to win 8-9 games this season or it will be more of the same in recruiting...Most recruits choose the path of least resistance to winning...USC does not appear to be a gravy train at this time

Ditto on all points.

Re: cheating, one would think that with one of the best Business Schools in the nation and an ass-kickin' Law School that USC would/could find a way (and the staff personnel) to bend, extrapolate, or otherwise manipulate some of the rules regarding recruiting of athletes.

Ditto on all points.

Re: cheating, one would think that with one of the best Business Schools in the nation and an ass-kickin' Law School that USC would/could find a way (and the staff personnel) to bend, extrapolate, or otherwise manipulate some of the rules regarding recruiting of athletes.

exactly..that's been my feeling for sometime..no matter how much cheating pays, our brass is committed to playing by the rules

Agree with most of what you said but you don't want champ cheating. That's how schools get in trouble. You want rich boosters doing the cheating, that way the coaches hands are clean. This is already going on here per Garcia but obviously not to a high enough degree. It's not good enough to just take care of the guys that are here they have to "help out" the guys we are after.

The lack of in state success is foreboding. Should have great chance w in state. Won't happen w out of state it appears for sure.

Clemson is on everybody's top 5 schools right now. For now they have took a huge leap. They are at a point where they don't have to recruit hard: however, we need to get the stars that are 1 star less and (Im hemmiraging as I write this) coach them up.
Cheat. I'm not joking. Fact is we're not competitive on paying blue chippers. You want guys with valuable skills, the market dictates they get paid accordingly.

Reactions: NooNoo
I'm a long-time member. I rarely post anymore. Heck, I rarely even read. But, I do pop in once in awhile to see what's being said. I have no doubt that Muschamp is the best recruiter we have ever had as a Head Coach. And from what I can tell, he has some stud recruiters on staff. But, until he "wins" on game day, "closing" will be a struggle unless we can offer reasonably early playing time. As a Head Coach, he has one really good season out of five. If you don't think that is being used against him, then you don't really know how dirty it is out there. If we go 8-4 and win the bowl game, we won't be having this conversation next year. Steve Spurrier proved you can win big in football at this university. Now, it's time for Will Muschamp to prove himself as a Head Coach. I know that every season is important. But, this coming season is VERY important.

Unless Dabo loses focus like Spurrier did, UPC will be in the national conversation as long as Dabo is there. You don't like it; I don't like it; what you and I like or don't like won't matter.

Reactions: Heyward1

Look...up there on that message board. Is it informative? Is it fresh?

No...IT'S CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

What we need to do is get guys with attitudes, not guys with stars. Guys who are alpha dogs and they know it. A guy like Stephen Garcia, he went out there and put it all on the line. He beat Alabama! Give me a team of guys like him!

No. Talent wins. Period.

QUOTE="CockyinMTP, post: 3394933, member: 98123"]What we need to do is get guys with attitudes, not guys with stars. Guys who are alpha dogs and they know it. A guy like Stephen Garcia, he went out there and put it all on the line. He beat Alabama! Give me a team of guys like him![/QUOTE]

To be a good recruiter u have to sign top talent. Period
Dawn Staley is a great recruiter.
Muschamp has not showed he is a great recruiter yet. Any school can offer a kid. U got to sign em or it is all fluff speak like off season work outs usually!

Recruiting is selling a kid on your school. WM seems to be straight forward and honest like a defensive coach is. Dabo is a salesman, I mean he was before taking a coaching job and can sale ice to Eskimo's. Can't coach worth a flip but can sale his players and recruits on buying in to the program. When you have three 4* and two 5* QB's committed, you have sold them! Because realistically there is no way some are going to play when they could start elsewhere. We need a salesman.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Recruiting is selling a kid on your school. WM seems to be straight forward and honest like a defensive coach is. Dabo is a salesman, I mean he was before taking a coaching job and can sale ice to Eskimo's. Can't coach worth a flip but can sale his players and recruits on buying in to the program. When you have three 4* and two 5* QB's committed, you have sold them! Because realistically there is no way some are going to play when they could start elsewhere. We need a salesman.
Can't coach worth a flip. SMDH

What we need to do is get guys with attitudes, not guys with stars. Guys who are alpha dogs and they know it. A guy like Stephen Garcia, he went out there and put it all on the line. He beat Alabama! Give me a team of guys like him!
Garcia was a highly rated 4 star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT