ADVERTISEMENT

In state recruiting

DeBoer31

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2015
I understand we ought to always focus on our own program, and that is priority #1. I know how this will be received by many..... but I think this subject still matters a whole lot, and has legs. I think our fanbase should scream about this topic from the rooftops, talk about it at water coolers, remind random waiters in restaurants, take ads out in the newspaper, rent space on a Myrtle Beach banner plane and remind any and everybody that will listen that Clemson annually wipes their butts with the state of SC High School recruits the last few years.

Historically one of the more saturated D1 and Pro states (per capita, etc) over the last 30-40 years...and apparently the only players that play HS football in the state of SC good enough to play at Clemson are named Swinney and Venables. It has gotten worse over their recent rise in national polls; and I very much understand national recruiting. I also understand long-standing pride and feelings of respect for HS programs, players and coaches in this state. I guess the players in this state just aren't up to the standard needed from a player, and don't come from the type families or HS programs that Swinney is looking for?

What Swinney has continually done is laugh at them in their faces, tell them they are not good enough and disrespect the state HS system as a whole. All the while, an orange-clad group of clowns have followed blindly.....happily picking up his defecation droppings , taking a bite and rejoicing in how "it really tastes better than you would think". Many will say "it's working" or "look at the results". I have; I see one University's football program in the state of SC that is too good for it's HS programs. Pride comes before the fall....and this disingenuous clown's time is nearing.

If you are part of this Gamecock fanbase - I don't wanna hear "I'd trade this for that" and "well if we could get a Nat. Championship..., yada yada". No thanks. I have too much pride in myself, my family, the state of SC to get bent over like that by my program's football coach. Swinney has gone farther than thumbing his nose at everyone in the Clemson audience...he has turned them around and stuck it elsewhere and they apparently really enjoy it.

Kind of explains the whole Ben Boulware and Christian Wilkins butt-play fascination from a couple years ago.

I understand we ought to always focus on our own program, and that is priority #1. I know how this will be received by many..... but I think this subject still matters a whole lot, and has legs. I think our fanbase should scream about this topic from the rooftops, talk about it at water coolers, remind random waiters in restaurants, take ads out in the newspaper, rent space on a Myrtle Beach banner plane and remind any and everybody that will listen that Clemson annually wipes their butts with the state of SC High School recruits the last few years.

Historically one of the more saturated D1 and Pro states (per capita, etc) over the last 30-40 years...and apparently the only players that play HS football in the state of SC good enough to play at Clemson are named Swinney and Venables. It has gotten worse over their recent rise in national polls; and I very much understand national recruiting. I also understand long-standing pride and feelings of respect for HS programs, players and coaches in this state. I guess the players in this state just aren't up to the standard needed from a player, and don't come from the type families or HS programs that Swinney is looking for?

What Swinney has continually done is laugh at them in their faces, tell them they are not good enough and disrespect the state HS system as a whole. All the while, an orange-clad group of clowns have followed blindly.....happily picking up his defecation droppings , taking a bite and rejoicing in how "it really tastes better than you would think". Many will say "it's working" or "look at the results". I have; I see one University's football program in the state of SC that is too good for it's HS programs. Pride comes before the fall....and this disingenuous clown's time is nearing.

If you are part of this Gamecock fanbase - I don't wanna hear "I'd trade this for that" and "well if we could get a Nat. Championship..., yada yada". No thanks. I have too much pride in myself, my family, the state of SC to get bent over like that by my program's football coach. Swinney has gone farther than thumbing his nose at everyone in the Clemson audience...he has turned them around and stuck it elsewhere and they apparently really enjoy it.

Kind of explains the whole Ben Boulware and Christian Wilkins butt-play fascination from a couple years ago.

Or maybe in state kids know that CU is a hell hole with nothing to offer beyond a cheating football program and would rather come here or go OOS to another competitive program? A little easier to pull the wool over on kids who don't grow up knowing what a crap place and university that is. FIGHT ME go cocks

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
I agree, and hope our coaches are pointing this out to high schools, coaches and players every chance they get. There is something to be said about scouting your home state and offering talented players an opportunity to play for an instate school. There is a different level of pride for players as well as fans. No surprise that our best years came with homegrown talent. It fosters relationships with schools, coaches, families, players, communities, etc... which not only help the current recruiting cycle, but makes inroads for future talent. Yes, at then end of the day it is about winning, and our coaches should be focused on recruiting the best players that fit our program. With that said, if two players are neck and neck on our board, then a nod should be given to the instate player.

As mentioned above, SC floats around the top 10 states for producing NFL talent. Our coaches should be scouring the state to ensure that we are not overlooking players. I don't care what the recruiting rankings say, there are several good players that fly under the radar each year. We already know that the ranking services benefit kids/parents that spend money sending their kids to these camps. Unfortunately a lot of good SC families don't have the means or aren't pushed to attend these camps so a lot of talent gets under recruited. Look at how many players go unrecruited by either instate school only to star for other programs out of state or the smaller instate schools.

We are THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA!

Last edited:
Yes- for sure.
With CU being at the top of the recruiting lists for so many nationally....it's a shoe in for most of the absolute BEST in state talent right? SC has a great track record for feeding Penn State, Tennessee, UNC, ETC not to mention USC and CU. So, even with an easier path to homegrown talent due to the recent high rankings and NC runs.....CU chooses to go find equal or sometimes worse players from another state.

After the 2012 recruiting season here is what they've done:

2020: 1/23 recruits from SC....and his last name is Venables. Looking at his tape (and speed)….that is effectively zero recruits from SC.
2019: 2/28 (7%)
2018: 6/17 (35%)
2017: 1/14 (7%)
2016: 4/22 (18%)
2015: 8/25 (32%)
2014: 9/22 (41%)
2013: 5/23 (22%)

Thats where Mack Brown started when he returned to UNC, got to lock the home state down and you do that by developing great relationships with the HS Football Coaches. UNC had its best in-state haul in 2019 since Mack left. The State of North Carolina has a large class of 4-5* this year so you better get up there and get what you can.

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
Hey guys, it’s about the Jimmies and the Joes....and winning titles.

At this point, the only kid we got that they wanted is Jordan. Let’s not act like they don’t have it going right now.

Hey guys, it’s about the Jimmies and the Joes....and winning titles.

At this point, the only kid we got that they wanted is Jordan. Let’s not act like they don’t have it going right now.
I'm not acting like they haven't had huge success. I'm saying that they are too good to stoop to offering players from the SC HS programs. The play on the field by the players and coaching/programs isn't good enough in SC to go to Clemson. That is certainly what Swinney is showing with his recruiting actions. He controls everything over there, right? He certainly has a blueprint for recruiting...and it's WORKING. That part about it working though....it doesn't include the sons of the state of SC. The CU football program is too good for them.

Apparently there are hardly any "jimmys and joes" in the state of SC the last 5-6 years.....unlike the previous 40 years. The population has gone up, but even with more kids to choose from I guess no more than an average of 2-3 players are good enough to play football at Clemson per year. I just hope the Swinneys and Venables have a lot of cousins playing HS football so we can see 25% of CUs roster made up from those bloodlines.

Thats where Mack Brown started when he returned to UNC, got to lock the home state down and you do that by developing great relationships with the HS Football Coaches. UNC had its best in-state haul in 2019 since Mack left. The State of North Carolina has a large class of 4-5* this year so you better get up there and get what you can.
I agree. I've said it on here many times.....our best runs in school history coincided with going to NC and getting some of their best talent. TN, GA, VT and Clemson have also done that for years. Need to win SC and try win NC. Used to be wide open....but M. Brown will be closing those borders down soon I believe.

lol..

https://www.tigernet.com/story/Columbia-QB-lands-at-dream-school-with-Clemson-18555

Reactions: agantt
Hate to be that guy but I gotta say it. Love my State to death, but I truly could care less where the kids are coming from. Just want to see us get to the point that we become a championship-caliber team before my veins run cold. We were extremely close during our 11-win days but, like 1984, those days are just passed down memories because we didn't put any big hardware in the trophy case.

I think if we could swap places with them and be pulling in 5* kids from Wherever, USA that we all would.
I hear the argument and if they weren't winning like they are it would have legs but as things currently stand I think they are doing just fine.

If you think Clemson actually wanted anyone on that list besides Burch then you are crazy. So the argument is Clemson doesn’t recruit South Carolina. How has that worked out for everyone? Clemson makes the playoffs. South Carolina hasn’t played since Thanksgiving

Nope. Since Zoolander's School for children who can't read good didn't fully deliver on their promise to make you strong in fashion AND the reading/writing part - I will spell it out. There is no argument. Just an observation. The situation seems very much like a young, good looking wife who realizes 2-3 years in that she married down, and now starts taking suitors because her husband just can't deliver the goods. That is very much what Clemson football is like now. Somebody is playing after Thanksgiving....but it isn't many from Clemson. It's a coach from Alabama. It's a DC from the Big 8. It is kids from about everywhere else in the nation besides SC. So, for all the Clemson boys growing up dreaming of playing for Clempson….they are gonna have to wait til the program ALMOST gets the death penalty for a third time before they'll be able to get near wearing that orange helmet.

Say.......I sense a trend. Pell...Alabama grad. Near death penalty. Check
Ford. Alabama grad. Near death penalty. Check
Swinney. Alabama grad. …………….

Last edited:
Nope. Since Zoolander's School for children who can't read good didn't fully deliver on their promise to make you strong in fashion AND the reading/writing part - I will spell it out. There is no argument. Just an observation. The situation seems very much like a young, good looking wife who realizes 2-3 years in that she married down, and now starts taking suitors because her husband just can't deliver the goods. That is very much what Clemson football is like now. Somebody is playing after Thanksgiving....but it isn't many from Clemson. It's a coach from Alabama. It's a DC from the Big 8. It is kids from about everywhere else in the nation besides SC. So, for all the Clemson boys growing up dreaming of playing for Clempson….they are gonna have to wait til the program ALMOST gets the death penalty for a third time before they'll be able to get near wearing that orange helmet.

Say.......I sense a trend. Pell...Alabama grad. Near death penalty. Check
Ford. Alabama grad. Near death penalty. Check
Swinney. Alabama grad. …………….
When’s the last time the NCAA even hinted at investigating Clemson? Seems they spend a lot more time in Columbia . Your argument is ridiculously entertaining. So South Carolina has no program at all since the coach is from Georgia and the offensive coordinator is from Georgia, the defensive coordinator is from Auburn. Take the fan glasses off. Your insecurity is amusing

So, if there is a one star player who doesn’t start for his high school team but is the biggest Gamecock fan in the world are you going to want him? Or are you going to crush his dreams because he can’t play for hi “dream school”. Of course you aren’t going to take him because he doesn’t help you. Just like Tonka Hemingway, the Caldwell kid and every other prospect this year in the state wouldn’t help Clemson achieve their goal (which isn’t merely bowl elgibiiity like others).

When’s the last time the NCAA even hinted at investigating Clemson? Seems they spend a lot more time in Columbia . Your argument is ridiculously entertaining. So South Carolina has no program at all since the coach is from Georgia and the offensive coordinator is from Georgia, the defensive coordinator is from Auburn. Take the fan glasses off. Your insecurity is amusing

So, if there is a one star player who doesn’t start for his high school team but is the biggest Gamecock fan in the world are you going to want him? Or are you going to crush his dreams because he can’t play for hi “dream school”. Of course you aren’t going to take him because he doesn’t help you. Just like Tonka Hemingway, the Caldwell kid and every other prospect this year in the state wouldn’t help Clemson achieve their goal (which isn’t merely bowl elgibiiity like others).

GFY

Insecure? No. I never say "wait til next year" because Gamecock football or any other sport or recreational activity doesn't define me. It isn't my source of confidence like so many weak-minded fools around our country. I don't rely on 19-20 year olds to give me reason to wake up every morning. I'm a grown man, and don't use somebody's else's work (and likely good amount of cheating) to pad my confidence by proxy make me a "winner". If you've been around long enough...you know exactly whose fanbase DOES act like that...whether you like it or not. People with inferiority complexes and that walk around with that insecurity written all over their face and actions.....they tend to be those who let another person do work and they jump on the bandwagon. Do you really think any Gamecock fan on here is a bandwagon fan? LOL

What I've stated is simple - Swinney has built Clemson into a national contender and has blind allegiance from his fanbase although there is plenty of smoke around. Things come out, people write books, get wronged and spill their guts....it will happen eventually. In the mean time - I'm sure you will continue to enjoy watching all those young boys from anywhere in the country except for South Carolinians play for Clemson and win a ring....and leave as butt and ball grabbing experts.

Insecure? No. I never say "wait til next year" because Gamecock football or any other sport or recreational activity doesn't define me. It isn't my source of confidence like so many weak-minded fools around our country. I don't rely on 19-20 year olds to give me reason to wake up every morning. I'm a grown man, and don't use somebody's else's work (and likely good amount of cheating) to pad my confidence by proxy make me a "winner". If you've been around long enough...you know exactly whose fanbase DOES act like that...whether you like it or not. People with inferiority complexes and that walk around with that insecurity written all over their face and actions.....they tend to be those who let another person do work and they jump on the bandwagon. Do you really think any Gamecock fan on here is a bandwagon fan? LOL

What I've stated is simple - Swinney has built Clemson into a national contender and has blind allegiance from his fanbase although there is plenty of smoke around. Things come out, people write books, get wronged and spill their guts....it will happen eventually. In the mean time - I'm sure you will continue to enjoy watching all those young boys from anywhere in the country except for South Carolinians play for Clemson and win a ring....and leave as butt and ball grabbing experts.

I'm sure they enjoy the 42 SC natives on the roster the same as the rest. Same way we love our 52 SC natives the same as the rest of our boys.

You nailed it there sir! Well said!

Reactions: carolinamyke
If you think Clemson actually wanted anyone on that list besides Burch then you are crazy. So the argument is Clemson doesn’t recruit South Carolina. How has that worked out for everyone? Clemson makes the playoffs. South Carolina hasn’t played since Thanksgiving
Cool story! My bad, Clemson offering is a clear sign they didn’t want them. Your Tigers can’t sign them all, so just stop with the delusional statements on a SC board.

Reactions: NetworkX
Despite all the orange overalls success, you guys are still just miserable.

That is not true. Clemson offered Burch, Lloyd, Kaba and Hemmingway.

Thought this was about home grown kids, Lloyd is from Maryland and Kaba is from NC. but here goes...

Yes , Clemson offered all 4 and do not give out offers easily- according to 247 you guys offered 223 & Clemson offered 106.. less than 1/2

Burch #2DT was wanted bad, you guys won out- CU signed #1,5&11 DT.
Kaba #13DT was offered, CU signed the #1,5,11 DT
Hemmingway #30 DT was offered, CU signed #1,5,11 DT

Lloyd #5 RB offered, got commitments fron the #3 & #30 RB- position filled

You guys pulled a great class coming off of the down season, be happy with your class and don't act like you wouldn't trade spots with Clemson right now.
It has nothing to do about being from SC.

The PWO QB from Gray is a very good player, they like to keep 5 QB on scholarship & hedging against a QB transferring out- just like UGA with Jackson Muschamp.
Most likely neither will see much game action but they will practice, play, learn the game and get their feet wet for a coaching job when they finish school. They have realistically expectations and seems like a good way to learn/intern for a job. BIG $ being paid to coaches now a-days.

and yes, our schedule sucks in 2020 & is even worse in 2021- hope they can get that 2021 shit fixed & I'm praying the ACC get their shit together.

Good luck next year.

I'm sure they enjoy the 42 SC natives on the roster the same as the rest. Same way we love our 52 SC natives the same as the rest of our boys.

Clemson has pick of the litter...especially the last 5-6 years. They can have pretty much any player in the state of SC they want......they just don't want many of them. So what is it...about 25% of their signed recruits since 2013 are SC natives? They continually choose 75% of their players from OUTSIDE SC....by choice.

We chose and took the best in SC when they wanted to be in Columbia. Clemson has proven to not do the same during their run. Clemson has turned their backs on the state of SC athletics, it's HS programs and the coaches and players that make up the system.

The best we can hope is that Clemson's current neglect recruiting in-state schools will bite them in the butt down the road when elite prospects do pop up.

Thought this was about home grown kids, Lloyd is from Maryland and Kaba is from NC. but here goes...

Yes , Clemson offered all 4 and do not give out offers easily- according to 247 you guys offered 223 & Clemson offered 106.. less than 1/2

You guys pulled a great class coming off of the down season, be happy with your class and don't act like you wouldn't trade spots with Clemson right now.

The PWO QB from Gray is a very good player, they like to keep 5 QB on scholarship & hedging against a QB transferring out- just like UGA with Jackson Muschamp.
Most likely neither will see much game action but they will practice, play, learn the game and get their feet wet for a coaching job when they finish school. They have realistically expectations and seems like a good way to learn/intern for a job. BIG $ being paid to coaches now a-days.

and yes, our schedule sucks in 2020 & is even worse in 2021- hope they can get that 2021 shit fixed & I'm praying the ACC get their shit together.

Good luck next year.

You seem like a reasonable guy. But, I never mentioned the sh!tty schedule the last 40 years. I'm not being defensive when I say I would NOT trade spots with you; I'm not changing the narrative. But, literally the Thread Topic is 'In State Recruiting'....so it has everything to do with being from SC.

It's particularly distasteful that Clemson has effectively abandoned the states SC HS football programs including the coaches and players during their most successful football run. What- 25% are SC signees since 2013? We all know every school around (including the two in state big programs) have to recruit outside the state. But, Clemson could have their hand pick of about any SC HS player the last five years....and they've opted to pick from elsewhere. You all can say what you want....but you could easily replace 25 players on their roster taken in just the last THREE years from other states and replace them with top SC HS players that went on to play and do great elsewhere....and there wouldn't be any change in the W/Ls. Since you mentioned the schedule....obviously that's the best "player" Clemson has. You have no threats the entire season including in a conference championship game EVERY year...and escape the season pretty much injury free and highly confident? Yeah....you could replace 25 out of staters with SC boys the last 3 year and there would be no fall off.....h#ll you might not have had to run the worst illegal pick in offensive football history to get that first one. That's the hard truth, buster.

You seem like a reasonable guy. But, I never mentioned the sh!tty schedule the last 40 years. I'm not being defensive when I say I would NOT trade spots with you; I'm not changing the narrative. But, literally the Thread Topic is 'In State Recruiting'....so it has everything to do with being from SC.

It's particularly distasteful that Clemson has effectively abandoned the states SC HS football programs including the coaches and players during their most successful football run. What- 25% are SC signees since 2013? We all know every school around (including the two in state big programs) have to recruit outside the state. But, Clemson could have their hand pick of about any SC HS player the last five years....and they've opted to pick from elsewhere. You all can say what you want....but you could easily replace 25 players on their roster taken in just the last THREE years from other states and replace them with top SC HS players that went on to play and do great elsewhere....and there wouldn't be any change in the W/Ls. Since you mentioned the schedule....obviously that's the best "player" Clemson has. You have no threats the entire season including in a conference championship game EVERY year...and escape the season pretty much injury free and highly confident? Yeah....you could replace 25 out of staters with SC boys the last 3 year and there would be no fall off.....h#ll you might not have had to run the worst illegal pick in offensive football history to get that first one. That's the hard truth, buster.
You should keep this a secret, Clemson might start having some success if they start recruiting more instate kids!

Good luck next year.
Please go read my response again. I responded that saying Burch was the only one we signed that Clemson wanted is a LIE. I have not said anything about in state kids or switching places with Clemson.

Last year, 9 out of 223 of USC's sholarship offers went to instate kids. 5 out of 106 of Clemson's offers went to instate kids.

Clemson had 44 instate kids on the roster last year. USC had 52.

I dunno...seems pretty even to me.

Thanks, I try to be a reasonable guy, I'm just putting facts out and like discussing sports without the BS & trolling. I want Scar to do well- would like the last game to mean something nationally. I'm from Lexington and have 2 degrees from Scar but been a CU fan since I was a kid and still my favorite. I was there in early 80's during Morrison and Black Magic.

I brought up the schedule because its sucked the last 2-3 years, the ACC is just bad, really bad no way to hide it but what can we do?
The OOC schedules are planned so far out who knows how the teams will be, its not from lack of scheduling. In the last 10years we've played Auburn 4, A&M 2, UGA 2, ND 2 & you guys every year, next year we go to ND but 2021 has Wyoming & Uconn who has dropped to an FCS/G5 school since I believe. After 2021 the OCC through 2036 includes ND 4, UGA 3, LSU 2, & OU 2

It does seem like CU doesn't offer many in state kids but checking with 247 I found that is surprisingly inaccurate. Looking back at the classes 2016-2020 & averaged them Scar total offers 240 , 17 being from SC 14.1% - Clemson avg 137 offers & 9 from SC 15.2%- so that's not true about not offering SC kids.
I went to both schools website for the rosters. Scar has 49 & CU has 44 in state kids on the roster- I mean damn we are competing for Natties and all SC kids won't cut it.
The kids chose based on their particular situation like I did with going to SC for my degrees. They may have been Scar fans their entire lives and dreamed of playing at WB, may want to play in the SEC, earlier playing time at Scar, hell some may not want to compete ala Belk from last year for both of us, each kid is different.
I'm just putting the facts out, everyone can draw their own conclusion.

AS far as the rub play against BAMA looked like he ran at him and the DB grabbed him, but I'm sure you didn't see the LSU guy push off on the long TD (remember Rod Gardner), or the OPI on Moss TD when Chase runs out & grabs Kendricks jersey ( by far more obvious & worse than the rub play) or better yet the guys hand and foot OOB on the late drive for TD. But I digress and everyone will only dwell on this last paragraph of me making excuses- I'm not LSU was the better team that night and all season.

Reactions: agantt
Please go read my response again. I responded that saying Burch was the only one we signed that Clemson wanted is a LIE. I have not said anything about in state kids or switching places with Clemson.

You are correct, they offered them and wanted them at some point but switched and arguable pulled better player per rankings in their place. I'm sure its all about timing, preference and gut feelings.

Not flaming you dude, but the thread is titled "instate recruiting", thats why I said that,

Reactions: DeBoer31
This "offer" thing is more than a bit iffy. There are a ton of players who claim offers that they don't really have. Official visits tell me a lot more about who teams really want. Other than Burch, no player in the SC class could have committed to CU even if they had wanted to do so. I have no reason to believe that any of them did to be sure. I think they preferred SC, but Clemson would not have been an option for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT