ADVERTISEMENT

*** Inside the Will Muschamp defense

W

Wes Mitchell

Will Muschamp has long been considered one of the best defensive minds in not only the SEC but the entire country, as he's consistently put together nationally-ranked defenses throughout his coaching career.

While Muschamp's tenure at Florida (28-21 in four seasons) didn't go as anyone in Gainesville planned, it looks like he'll have the perfect opportunity for redemption in Columbia, and there's no doubt Muschamp will pack his defense on the way out of Auburn.

Prior to 2014, as Muschamp attempted to rebuild the Tigers defense, his defenses ranked among the nation's top 10 in total defense every year in his five seasons as an SEC defensive coordinator, while always maintaining a top-15 rating in scoring defense, three times in the top 10.

So, with that said, what is Muschamp's defensive scheme and philosophy all about? I spent the day reading various articles around the internet about just that and have compiled the information below.

4-3 or 3-4?

First of all -- the most basic of defensive questions -- is this a 4-3 or a 3-4? Despite coming from the
Nick Saban coaching tree, which automatically makes us think of an attacking 3-4 defense, Muschamp's scheme has evolved over the years into what I would call an extremely multiple 4-3 defense or even a 4-3/3-4 hybrid.

In talking to those who cover Florida, Muschamp ran four-man fronts a large portion of the time in Gainesville and runs a scheme that features a hybrid DE/LB "BUCK" position. If nothing else, Muschamp's scheme is versatile and multiple and the BUCK is a big reason for that. This is the slot that you'd put your best pass-rusher. If there's a Jadeveon Clowney or a Melvin Ingram on the roster, this is where he's going. And while the BUCK often times will line up like a typical 4-3 defensive end, he's also moved all over the place to try and confuse protection schemes -- this allows the defense to morph from 4-3 to a 3-4 on the fly.

I say "4-3" and "3-4" because it's still the verbiage most people use but technically with the prevalence of the spread offense, and the reduced use of the SAM linebacker, Muschamp's defenses technically rotate between a 4-2 and a 3-3 most of the time. Like most teams, Muschamp's defenses have to operate out of the nickel (five defensive backs) to match up with the spread and in one article Muschamp said his defenses were in the nickel or dime 75 percent of the time. South Carolina was in the nickel (4-2-5) a ton this year to try and match up as well, but I saw very little, if any, dime (4-1-6) from Carolina.

What are his basic philosophies?

In my search for information on Muschamp's defensive scheme, I found an old pamphlet from when Muschamp spoke about his defensive philosophy at a coaches' convention as LSU's defensive coordinator under Nick Saban. It's pretty intriguing for those into that kind of thing and you can read the whole thing here.

But here's an abbreviated version of Muschamp's key principles for his defense.

1. Stop the run - We will mix fronts, movement and coverages in order to confuse and pressure the offense.

2. In all situations, defend the inside or middle of the field first. (Force ball outside on runs, force QB to throw short or outside)

3. Trademark of LSU defense: Aggressiveness and physical toughness (hustle and pursuit it first thing listed here -- again click the link above for the full read)

4. Efficiency in red zone and goal line - make offense kick FGs

5. Adaptability to any situation - Have great communication and teamwork

6. Turnovers - Take the ball from the opponent

7. Play for 60 minutes - Moment of truth (It's a game of momentum, like a pendulum - "It will always come back to us."

Granted, I'm sure there's a possibility that Muschamp has tweaked those things as his career has progressed, but the basic principles and philosophies are I'm sure very similar. Despite being a secondary coach by nature, Muschamp wants to put a defense on the field that has a very first priority of taking away the running game, and if it can do that, then his belief is everything else will fall into place.

Another interesting stat referenced is that Florida never fell outside the top 20 in fewest amount of opponent long scrimmage plays—ones that gain more than 10 yards—under Muschamp, according to this Bleacher Report article. If you look at the second talking point above -- take away the middle of the field -- that doesn't mean that the Gamecocks are going to be sitting in cover 2 zone with the middle of the field exposed like they were this year, but there will certainly be a premium on keeping opponents from getting the big play which takes a total team effort from all 11 positions.

"In our league, and especially this division, you better win on the line of scrimmage, or you won't have a chance," Muschamp said according to the same article. "And stay away from explosive plays. When they're getting chunk yardage down the field, it's hard to defend and change the vertical field position in the game."

Implementing it at South Carolina

At the end of the day, Muschamp wants to run a multiple, attacking defense that is going to take away the run first and force teams out of their comfort zone. It's a defense that he's proved time and time again can be extremely successful when given the time for him to recruit the right players and to teach the concepts to the players already on the roster.

From what I've read, Muschamp ideally would want a bigger defensive end at the spot opposite of the BUCK position if he wants to continue to use this morphing style of front that changes from the 4-3 to a 3-4 (again stopping the run is the priority and gap control is huge). I've not read it anywhere, but I'd assume finding a player who can man the BUCK position may be one of the most important things to make this defense click.

This is the position that Dante Fowler played at Florida and Carl Lawson played at Auburn. Is there a perfect fit for it at South Carolina? I'm not sure. From a physical standpoint only, Shamiek Blackshear is probably the closest to the prototype, but if you look at his experience and ability combination, Qua Lewis is probably the player on the roster who would be most likely to get the first crack.

Keep in mind that the South Carolina players will be learning their third defensive system in three seasons and they'll be going from a scheme that placed a priority on simplification to one that places a priority on being multiple.

South Carolina fans aren't going to have to worry about the defense sitting in the same looks as Muschamp and whoever he tabs as defensive coordinator will absolutely mix things up and do all they can to create havoc up front.

But there will surely be a lot for the current players to learn the ins and outs of a brand new system again. While there's no doubt of Muschamp's ability to make that happen -- he's been able to build a top defense at every stop -- it's certainly going to take time.

Get even more Gamecock info and analysis with the Gamecock Central Radio app:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News