ADVERTISEMENT

Insider notes: getting ready for the MLB Draft

C

Collyn Taylor

The MLB Draft starts tonight and will continue all the way through Wednesday with plenty of Gamecocks likely to get picked up in the process.

The schedule is as follows:
Monday, 7 p.m.: Rounds 1-2 (MLB Network)
Tuesday, 1 p.m.: Rounds 3-10
Wednesday, noon: Rounds 11-40

A reminder that every junior on the roster is eligible for the MLB Draft and the Gamecocks will lose five seniors: Jonah Bride, Justin Row, Madison Stokes, Hunter Taylor and Matt Williams.

Every member of the 2018 recruiting class is eligible for the draft as well.

A refresher on a few MLB Draft prospect lists that includes South Carolina players and signees.
Baseball America
RHP signee Owen White, 59
RHP Adam Hill, 81
SS signee Blaze Alexander, 85
RHP signee Taj Bradley, 146
OF Carlos Cortes, 177
RHP Cody Morris, 292
LHP/OF signee Josiah Sightler, 383
C Chris Cullen, 449
OF signee Brady Allen, 486
Perfect Game
RHP signee Owen White, 99
SS signee Blaze Alexander, 106
RHP Adam Hill, 112
RHP Cody Morris, 142
RHP signee Taj Bradley, 163
C signee Wes Clarke, 187
OF Carlos Cortes, 282
C Chris Cullen, 350

--I'm comfortable reporting that Blaze Alexander will likely sign a professional contract and bypass playing collegiately. He's projected in the first five rounds from every mock draft I've looked at, which tends to mean he'll sign a contract.
--The other two likely signees that will bypass the collegiate ranks are Owen White and Taj Bradley, both of whom will be drafted within the first 10 rounds this week.
--Cody Morris, who is a redshirt sophomore and eligible for the draft, has seen his value skyrocket the last few weeks and will more than likely be drafted in the first 10 rounds this week as well. He's been up to 98 this season at times and sits comfortably at around 95 mph on his fastball with a changeup that MLB scouts like.

I know that's not a lot right now, but keep it locked here and I'll have a lot more as the day (and week) goes on for you guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News