ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - August 11 (Latest on Elder, redshirts, more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Football Recruiting Tidbits

In yesterday's Insider Report, I Stefon Diggs and his recruitment. Diggs rarely gives interviews, but I did exchange a couple of texts with him on Wednesday, where he personally confirmed that he hoped to trim list down "in the next month or two." He is focusing on his senior year, so he has put recruiting on the backburner for now. Then number of programs who will make the next cut has not been determined, but as I reported previously I expect USC to be in it as of today. Nothing huge there, but just wanted to pass it on.

One prospect to keep an eye out on in the 2013 class is Marietta (Ga.) Walton OL Brandon Kublanow. The 6-foot-3 line prospect hails from the same high school USC QB coach G.A. Mangus went to, and he performed very well on the camp circuit this summer. He's a physical interior type prospect who is hearing (aside from USC), Georgia, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, and others. He does not have any offers at this point, but I would call Georgia the early leader with him. The Gamecocks are well aware of him and have him under evaluation.

My last update on College Park (Ga.) Banneker four-star cornerback Chaz Elder indicated that he was not going to be holding a press conference to announce his college choice, but that it could come at any time. I've heard some conflicting information recently on his timeframe. I've spoken with several sources close to the recruitment recently and there has been some talk that Elder could push the decision back a bit; more on that in a second. On the flip side, I also heard today from a good source that it still looks like an August decision for him as has been planned for some time and as we have reported on numerous occasions.

South Carolina continues to feel good about their chances with Elder, and I believe rightfully so - the 6-foot-2, 180-pounder has favored USC privately and publicly for a while now. He is comfortable with the program, has a very good relationship with recruiter and potential position coach Lorenzo Ward, and knows he will definitely be able to play cornerback which is his preferred position. As we have documented, the Gamecocks' main competition is Georgia. From what I have been told some close to Elder would prefer to see him go to Georgia, while Elder himself prefers Carolina for the reasons I've outlined. I think that has been one reason we have seen him delay his decision despite favoring USC for a while, and the reason that he could wait longer if he does. Regardless USC still feels they have good position including the support of others close to Elder who will play a role in the decision. I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear regarding the decision timeframe if anything changes (either with that or USC's position). For now, I'm still leaning towards saying it will be this month sometime.

Freshman Focus

Since fall practice commenced, Carolina's coaching staff has been in an ongoing process of trying to find out which true freshman prospects can potentially help the team this season. The team's first proper scrimmage is on Saturday and I expect that the staff will have a better idea at that point about several players. After attending every practice, these are the true freshman newcomers I believe are at least in heaviest contention to play in year one, based on what I have seen and heard from those close to the program I have spoken with:

Wide receiver Damiere Byrd
Running back Shon Carson
Defensive end Jadeveon Clowney
Wide receiver Shamier Jeffery
Cornerback Martay Mattox
Tight end Drew Owens
Defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles
Safety Sheldon Royster
Offensive tackle Brandon Shell
Free safety Brison Williams

Some on this list are much more likely than others and two to three (like Clowney) are locks to play. Shell will probably not be ready in the first couple of games to play, but he could see action after that. Some others could also emerge, like cornerback Kadetrix Marcus, linebacker Cedrick Cooper, or offensive tackle Mike Matulis once he gets fully healthy. Cooper is talented enough to play early and possibly help on special teams, but there is already a logjam at WILL linebacker, the position he has been working at during the fall. Please not that I am not reporting all of these players will play as freshmen or even that they are highly likely; just that these are the ones who have the best shot as things stand today. I may have another update after Saturday; definitely one before the ECU game at a minimum.

*Wide receiver Bruce Ellington and offensive guard Kaleb Broome are first year players who should see the field, but Ellington is a sophomore and Broome, a JUCO transfer is a junior.

Site Notes

If you are an annual subscriber, please be sure to sign up for text alerts from GamecockCentral.com that will arrive with news to your mobile phone right here.

If you are a current monthly subscriber to the site and would like to upgrade to an annual membership (will save you around $20 per year and you get the free text alerts), please click here to upgrade. Right now, we have a promotion going on where subscribers who upgrade to annual receive an extra month at no charge. Once you upgrade, email us at offer2011@gamecockcentral.com to confirm.

Lastly, should you have any customer service issues with the site or have any questions, please email us at goccocks@gamecockcentral.com; we will be more than happy to assist you.

Thanks to everyone for reading, have a great night/day and thanks for being a member of GamecockCentral.com!
This post was edited on 8/10 9:50 PM by Brian Shoemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News