ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - August 14 (class numbers update, bigtime NE visitors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
With the 2014 class now settled in terms of which prospects were able to enroll in time for this season, the question that many of our subscribers have had is: how many prospects will USC ultimately be able count back from 2015 to 2014?

I'm told that January enrollee Abu Lamin counted back to the 2013 class, which means that USC essentially had 14 "initial counters" enroll for the 2014 class.

As mandated by the NCAA sanctions for the 2014 cycle, the initial counter limit for that class was 22. That leaves eight open spots that USC could theoretically count back from 2015 to 2014. USC's initial counter limit is back up to 25 for the 2015 cycle, as we've said. So in an ideal scenario, USC could bring in up to 33 prospects in the 2015 class through a combination of summer initial counter enrollees and early enrollees (up to eight that could count back).

Whether or not it will work out that way remains to be seen. Remember that for a prospect to count back towards the previous class, that prospect must enroll early. The Gamecocks have several projected early enrollees (Alexander, Clark, Palmer, Lewis, and Durant) right now so as of this moment that's four potential back-counters.

We'll keep everyone updated on the numbers throughout the remainder of the 2015 cycle.

We have already picked up names of a few big-time visitors that are planning on being in Columbia in the first several weeks of USC's 2014 season for home games.

For the Georgia game, four-star Philadelphia tight end Naseir Upshur[/URL] will be in attendance. Thanks to a close friendship with former teammate and current Gamecock David Williams and an early start by lead recruiter G.A. Mangus, South Carolina has been in the lead group from the get-go with the talented tight end. He had an excellent visit to Columbia in mid-July and I think that trip helped push USC to the top of his list. There are several challengers for Upshur including Arizona State, Michigan, Michigan State, Temple, and Maryland but as of now I still think USC is in the best position.

Also planning to be in town for the home tilt against UGA is another prospect that USC leads for and has talked with Upshur as well in quarterback Brandon McIlwain[/URL]. He's the main target for USC at that position in the 2016 class and the Gamecocks remain the team to beat according to multiple sources. This will represent McIlwain's fourth trip to USC, following visits last summer, last November for the Clemson game, and this summer for camp.

McIlwain released a top six tonight of South Carolina, Penn State, Auburn, Florida, Virginia Tech, Duke, and Florida. Again, South Carolina is in the best position here according to what I'm hearing. I know many fans have been concerned about Penn State, but to echo something I've said before the Nittany Lions are not as big a factor as one may think on the surface. McIlwain isn't a true "in-state prospect" being from Pennsylvania and you'll notice that the other programs on his list are south of where he currently lives. McIlwain plans to announce a decision in January or February and then hit the recruiting trail for the school that he picks.

For the season opener against Texas A&M, Mangus could be slated to have more big-time prospects from the Northeast in town.

From Camden High in New Jersey, Rivals100 2016 DE Brad Hawkins Jr. are both tentatively slated to be in town. I feel that USC probably has the edge for both of those prospects right now, with Penn State and Miami also making up competition for Johnson. Both visited USC for the Gamecocks' junior day back in March.

This post was edited on 8/14 1:38 PM by Chris Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News