ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - August 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Team Notes

It's officially game week! You can look for a "keys" article later in the week from me as well as some other analysis and any other news, etc.

Steve Spurrier had some good things to say about D.L. Moore after practice tonight. He did make some plays during the preseason; if he can become more consistent catching the ball he's got a chance to make some noise this season for the Gamecocks.

Mike Triglia's injury could open the door for Justice Cunningham to be the number 2 guy on Thursday, and from what I've seen and heard I believe he is up to the task. He worked incredibly hard before arriving at USC and has a very good attitude. I also feel better about his blocking capabilities than Triglia at this stage. He also looked better running routes and catching than I anticipated in the preseason.

The past few years, the Gamecocks have had some talent at the wide receiver position but failed to establish a lot of depth.

This season, there's more talent overall on the roster and others have had a year to mature and improve their game. Guys like Tori Gurley, the true freshmen, former walk-on Stephen Flint, etc. have jumped in the fray and created more competition at the position which has served to make the corps a deeper group. I've seen some encouraging signs in practice, but we won't know anything for sure until they do some encouraging things in game situations.

The latest I heard on signee Duane Chisolm over the weekend is that he is still in Beaufort, and as of the weekend, had not enrolled anywhere else for school. From what I understand, he might still need to get his knee 100% and it's a late for some schools, so it's not out of the question that he sits this year out, takes some classes locally and then heads somewhere to play next year. I'm not sure of what his intentions are, but that is just one potential scenario. He could very well end up somewhere; if I hear anything else I will post it.

Football Recruiting

Here are some scores and stats from South Carolina's current commitments from games this past week:

A.J. Cann: Bamberg-Erhard defeated Ashley Ridge 46 to 14.
Cody Gibson: Plays on September 3.
Brandon Golson: Calhoun County defeated Lake Marion 37 to 0 and Golson had 11 tackles and 4 sacks. He also returned a punt 45 yards.
Ronald Patrick: Cocoa racked up 242 yards rushing behind Patrick and the offensive line in route to a 17-6 victory over Palm Bay.
Kelcy Quarles: Greenwood defeated rival Emerald 31-0. He had around 10 tackles and 3 sacks.
Corey Robinson: Is going to miss 3-4 weeks with a sprained knee that he injured in Week 0. They won that game 21-3 and won this past game 48-0 without Robinson. He is hoping to return in September or October.
Cadarious Sanders: Troup beat Callaway 13 to 10. Sanders had 3 tackles and broke up 2 passes.
Connor Shaw: Flowery Branch won against Stephens County 38 to 8; Shaw was 10-15 for 101 yards and a touchdown passing. He also rushed for 104 yards and 2 TDs.
J.T. Surratt: Parkland lost to Mt. Tabor 14 to 24, but said that he had 4 sacks and 5 tackles for loss in the game.
Sean Tapley: Raines plays Friday against Andrew Jackson.
Dylan Thompson: Boiling Springs beat Chapman 47-21. He was 11-14 for 148 yards and 2 TDs, and also rushed for 70 yards.
Brison Williams: Northside (GA) took down Perry 42 to 10 and Williams had 12 tackles and a pass breakup.
Tramell Williams: First game is against Terry Parker this coming Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News