ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - December 12 (OT name to watch, Lewis, Sawyer, more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Auburn visited with South Carolina defensive end commitment Marquavius Lewis earlier today. Lewis continues to say privately and publicly that he is solid to South Carolina, and those close to him continue to say that as well. USC coaches, including Steve Spurrier, plan on visiting with him on Saturday. Lewis is going to sign on December 17, the first day for junior college midyear enrollees to sign.

Just to clarify this, since USC's other JUCO defensive end commitment Dante Sawyer is not a midyear enrollee (he will enroll in the summer, potentially as early as May) that means he will be signing on February 4 with the rest of the class members that are not midyear enrollees. From the feedback I have received he is still very solid to South Carolina.

With South Carolina having lost a pair of offensive tackle commitments in the 2015 class, no doubt there is a need to add a quality prospect at the position. One to keep an eye on is Butler Community College's Tyler Howell, a 6-foot-9, 305-pound JUCO product. He has visited Arizona State and Arkansas officially and will head to Missouri on an official this weekend. I want to stress that this is still one that is in the preliminary stages but he is one to keep an eye on going forward and one that's being checked on now.

I'm going to make a suggestion to everyone on Arden Key here: do not get incredibly caught up in every nuance of what he says in recruiting. I've said this in the past, but Key is not ever going to be someone to shut down the process or say he is 100 percent or not talk about visiting other programs. He is indeed planning other visits, and we will have to see how it plays out. He is free to handle his recruitment how he wants, but this is someone that put out a top five list with South Carolina at number five after he had already silent committed (recommitted) to the Gamecock staff. Just an example to show you that he likes the recruiting process, so he's going to talk about other schools and things like that a lot. I do think that each program he makes an official visit to could end up being a threat, especially LSU and UGA, but USC could also well hold on to him given the Lorenzo Ward factor. Deke Adams and Ward will be seeing Key this weekend as well. Key also has some academic work to do. He's a good prospect for sure, if he can continue growing and developing.

Steve Spurrier and Steve Spurrier Jr. were in Jacksonville today to visit with First Coast commitments recently broke down his recruitment with us following an official visit to Louisville, and Washington gave his opinion to me on Friday as well. He said that he didn't feel that Pittman was going anywhere and that he was just "throwing a few people for a loop."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News