ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - Feb. 10 - Latest recruiting notes

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
JayCornerstoneSample.png

CornerstoneColumbia.com

*** Much has been made of Rivals.com’s recent interview with Greer’s Jaleel Skinner in which he names Florida his leader.

It’s understandable that Skinner, given his in-state status and four-star ranking on the network, will draw plenty of attention and questions as it pertains to South Carolina’s status with him.

There are two noteworthy factors to further dissect here. First, Skinner put the Gators out in front even over Clemson, which he’s previously classified as his dream offer. He’s made no mistake in the fact that – should the Tigers offer, and the Tigers did – that Clemson would be tough to beat. Clemson appears to be taking its time with tight ends in the 2022 class.

Secondly, and related to the point about timing, we have previously reported that our observations have led us to believe that the South Carolina staff has been heavily courting others at the same position – Georgia’s Oscar Delp, for instance.

Along with Delp, the Gamecocks have been swinging on quality options out of the Peach State such as Jake Johnson, Holden Staes, Tyrus Washington and Darren Agu.

Tight ends coach Erik Kimrey has also extended an offer to intriguing Florida prospect CJ Hawkins.

In other words, Skinner is far from the only option that we are monitoring, and odds seem greater that the tight end take in the Gamecocks’ 2022 class will be someone other than the Greer product.

*** GamecockCentral.com contributor Will Helms previewed some prospects that South Carolina will be or has been involved with in the state of North Carolina for the 2023 class here.

One of them is New Bern defensive tackle Keith Sampson, who actually held an early offer from the previous staff as well. Interestingly, Sampson is thought to have a very good relationship with new Gamecock assistant Montario Hardesty, who graduated from New Bern in high school as part of the 2005 recruiting class.

Mack Brown’s arrival in Chapel Hill created a pain for the Gamecocks in pulling talent away from the state of North Carolina, and it will be a priority in the coming cycles for this staff to make some waves in that regard.

*** Defensive coordinator Clayton White recently extended an offer to 2022 linebacker Omar Graham Jr. out of Fort Lauderdale (Florida) Stranahan.

Graham saw a text once he finished up with track practice indicating White’s intentions to offer, and he’s intrigued.

“He seems like a cool person,” Graham said. “The South Carolina offer was great. They are a great program, have a good new staff, and play in the SEC.”

*** The lowest-ranked player in South Carolina’s 2021 recruiting class is junior college defensive back Isaiah Norris. Here’s to believing he outplays that ranking.

I spoke a while back with Georgia Military College defensive coordinator Rob Manchester, who’s seen a bunch of SEC talent roll through the program in previous years. Former TL Hanna head coach Jeff Herron – who won state titles at three different programs in Georgia before turning around Hanna in the Upstate – also thinks very highly of Norris.

Here’s what Manchester said about Norris:

“My bottom line is, Isaiah’s a baller, man. We offered him out of high school and everything and loved him.

He played safety for them (New Mexico Military) and corner for us in the fall and during our scrimmage games. His intensity and the way he practices, Isaiah just tries to knock your head off every time he tackles you.

I remember Jeff Herron said he was really, really good. We had Braylon Peterson out of there (Hanna), and then when Isaiah came through the next class, he said he may end up being the best one he’s ever had. That’s at Camden County and everything. After he came here and I saw him in practice and everything, he may be right. Isaiah’s pretty special.”

*** Any follow-up questions or something I didn't address that you'd like me to address? Let me know.

*** Thanks for reading, and we appreciate you being a member of GamecockCentral.com!

*** Today's Insider Report is brought to you by Cornerstone Financial Management. Securities offered through LPL Financial, Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment advice offered through Good Life Advisors, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Cornerstone Financial Management and Good Life Advisors, LLC are separate entities from LPL Financial

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News