ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - Jan. 5 (recruiting, OL situation, more)

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
We discussed the recruitment of four-star DB commitment Jamyest Williams in our last insider (linked here), but since that time I’ve also confirmed that his official visit to see South Carolina will indeed be the final weekend before signing day. All indications by Williams and his camp are that the intention is to sign with the Gamecocks. Georgia has kept in contact, especially as of late, and could get an official but it’s not a done deal that he’ll definitely make a visit there. While my guess is that he probably does, it’s up in the air. The Gamecocks will still get the last crack.

The two offensive linemen we are most heavily tracking right now are Jordon Carty and Jordan Rhodes. Carty still has academic issues that he’s working through, so he may be a bit more of a down the road guy but he’s someone that USC likes and has a lot of upside. Rhodes is the same type deal in terms of his upside, and he’s slated to make an official visit once the contact period reopens. Finding offensive linemen and pass-rush/d-line help will be the biggest priority in closing out the 2017 class. Certainly, we'll know more on the o-line front once USC has a new assistant coach in place.

As far as South Carolina’s offensive line coach search goes, the process is still not over. Head coach Will Muschamp has spoken with candidates and very likely is not done on that front; to that end no hire has been finalized. I still would anticipate something prior to the contact period reopening on January 13; beyond that I don't know of any set timeline.

I do get the sense that former Gamecock assistant Eric Wolford is a very realistic possibility at the position. Wolford is someone respected by those who have worked with him in the past whether at South Carolina or other places and is someone who works hard and could also give USC some juice in recruiting and on the field as a technician and teacher.

When Wolford arrived at USC in January 2009, there was a long way to go in terms of recruiting, development, and mentality up front as most who followed the program at that time will remember. In 2008, South Carolina averaged less than 100 yards rushing per game for the season and averaged three sacks a game. Those numbers are poor, and it’s not an overnight fix, regardless of who enters the building to coach the next group. With the offensive line, you’re talking about a position that’s very much developmental. In his one season, Wolford changed up personnel several times throughout the course of the season to try to get the best combination on the field and to push the players and some who were around the program at that time believed he helped implement some positive change that paid dividends down the road. Wolford was working with the same personnel that had been on the team before, in essence, other than walk-on Garrett Chisholm who started two games in 2009 after not playing football since 2006. TJ Johnson was a redshirt freshman that season and earned all-freshman honors in the conference.

Although he left before the ink could become dry for the 2010 class, Wolford evaluated Ronald Patrick and Corey Robinson in that cycle, two guys who were lightly recruited (Robinson had no other offers) and are in the NFL right now. Wolford and Shane Beamer played a big role in getting highly-regarded AJ Cann to commit to the Gamecocks, this following the other high profile guys previously from the school in Ricky Sapp and DaQuan Bowers heading to Clemson. In other words, there was some positive work done at South Carolina during his tenure.

Former USC great Marcus Lattimore also thought very highly of Wolford during the recruiting process. The Gamecocks had to survive a couple assistant coaching changes during Lattimore’s recruitment (those being Robert Gillespie departing and Wolford’s ultimate departure), but I’ve been told that Wolford and Lattimore clicked during the recruiting process and was one reason for Lattimore’s interest in the program. I still recall Lattimore telling me during an interview that he “got chills” after meeting with Wolford and looking at how he wanted to use him in USC’s rushing attack.

There have been plenty of questions and discussions about former Muschamp assistant Mike Summers; I believe there has been some over-representation of the USC interest level there in the media and among fans. I don’t expect him to be the hire, barring some sort of drastic unforeseen change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News