ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - January 13 (scoop on a Rivals100 CB, more)

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
rsoye3qo88kd3jdmhepe

Reminder....keep reports from The Insiders Forum on The Insiders Forum...

When Alabama’s Darius Whitfield committed to South Carolina’s previous staff, there was a question of which side of the ball he would ultimately end up playing on long-term. According to Whitfield, Will Muschamp and his staff have pegged him as a defensive tackle all the way. The Gamecocks recognize that help is needed at that position, so the staff wants to slot him at tackle. Muschamp and Travaris Robinson are set to meet with Whitfield on Sunday, and he’s also been in touch with Coleman Hutzler recently.

Whitfield’s teammate, B.J. Edmonds, is someone to watch at the defensive back position although there is no offer out to him at this point. The Gamecock staff is familiar with him from the previous stop at Auburn. It’s possible he will tag along with Whitfield on his official visit which takes place the weekend of January 22.

We gave everyone the news yesterday that four-star DB and former Gamecock commitment Marlon Character had set a trio of official visits. He’ll see South Carolina this weekend, followed by Virginia Tech on the 22nd and Auburn the final weekend before signing day. Character has been fairly consistent in saying that Auburn had a good shot to hang onto him, and information I’ve gathered leads me to believe that’s not just lip service. Auburn gets the last official visit, Character plans on bringing a lot of his family with him on that trip, and Character’s girlfriend is starting classes at Auburn in the fall. The trump card for USC is that Travaris Robinson and Will Muschamp were big reasons for his initial flip to Auburn from South Carolina. I expect that USC will give him something to think about at a minimum, but it’s going to be a tough battle.

I’m told that Georgia DL Mykelle McDaniel will make an official visit to USC the weekend of January 29. USC has a strong shot to sign him if he’s a priority for the staff, but I’ve heard he may be a sign and place candidate out of Grayson High.

Finally, we will close with some interesting news on one of the top cornerback prospects in the country. Rivals100 member Kristian Fulton turned in a strong performance at the Under Armour All-America Game and has been a hot commodity on the recruiting trail for a while. I can tell you that USC assistant Travaris Robinson will be visiting with Fulton and his family tomorrow with the goal of setting an official visit for the Gamecocks. Fulton has one scheduled for LSU this weekend and one to Florida the weekend of January 29. He could go to Arkansas the weekend of January 22, or put another program in that slot. The possibility of a couple midweek visits is also on the table. USC obviously has a strong angle for early playing time with the four-star DB, but getting him on campus at some point will obviously be paramount here. The Fulton camp at least appear open to it, but we’ll have to see how it shakes out in the coming days and weeks. USC got in late here, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News