ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - January 31 (McClain, new offensive player, academics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
The defensive end prospect that emerged on USC's radar Thursday, Jacksonville's Blake McClain, said on Thursday night via Twitter that he's planning on announcing his decision after signing day. We mentioned yesterday that there was a possibility that McClain would still visit Nebraska this coming weekend as originally planned and then also reserve an official visit for the Gamecocks. Assuming he sticks with that plan and does make a trip to Columbia, I think that South Carolina will have a good shot with him. We'll keep everyone posted on his plans but I would watch the weekend immediately following national signing day for a USC trip so that McClain and his family can try to get things wrapped up fairly quickly.

As for why McClain and FSU parted ways, the Noles talked to McClain about grayshirting recently and he unsurprisingly prefers to enroll somewhere this summer instead of waiting until next January. FSU still has some other DL targets on the board so I suppose that staff is trying to make room. I have talked with some people familiar with McClain and all of them think he would be a very solid get for USC. My understanding is that he played out of position at nose some for Sandalwood but was very good on the camp scene this summer in one-on-one situations and also has a nice highlight reel.

On Thursday I mentioned that South Carolina was pursuing another offensive player in the 2014 class quietly. I can tell you that player is Theodore (Ala.) athlete Jerry Gibson, who is committed to Minnesota at this time. The Gamecocks are pursuing him as a tight end.

I know what you're thinking; USC already has a pair of tight end candidates in the class. Kalan Ritchie still has academic work to do and as we've mentioned and he reiterated after his official visit, he could very well start out his career at defensive end. Add that up and it means that USC has been looking around at another tight end possibility. That's as much as I know at this point; if I have another update I'll pass it along. Gibson is officially visiting USC this weekend.

Gamecock quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus logged plenty of time in the Northeast this week. As we already mentioned, he stopped by the schools of four-star 2015 DL Damiere Byrd.

Wimbush attends the same high school as five-star DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, who visited USC this summer. Fitzpatrick is visiting Alabama this weekend; he's highly sought-after and the Gamecocks have been a big factor for him throughout the process.
Mangus also dropped by the schools of 2015 OL Juwan Johnson while in the area.

One other note here on defensive ends: I mentioned this week that it was very realistic that Gamecock DE commitment Dexter Wideman qualified than Sawyer. To clarify; Wideman being able to qualify still seems based on what I've heard an uphill battle but it at least seems like a possibility. He will really need to finish strong to give himself a shot but it's at the minimum on the table. Don't read this to mean Wideman now projects to qualify; it's still up in the air but it seems it's maybe more of a possibility than originally thought.

This post was edited on 1/31 2:10 PM by Chris Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News