ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - June 15 (Early Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Football Recruiting

I hear that the Gamecocks have extended a verbal offer to Tampa (FL) Jefferson 2012 DE Tyriq McCord, who could be one of the better defenders in the state of Florida in next year's recruiting cycle. G.A. Mangus recruits the Tampa area for USC.

As I posted on the board a little while ago, long snapper John Theus, a top 2012 OL, also has offers from those schools and others and the two are essentially a package deal. While Nathan is not claiming a leader right after getting the offer, I've heard pretty strong indications that Georgia should now be considered the team to beat for both. The Bulldogs signed Brent Benedict[/URL] from Bolles in February.

Dover (DE) OL Trip Thurman was in Gainesville over the weekend participating in Florida's camp and that trip seemed to go well. Thurman worked with Gator coach Steve Addazio and the Gators seem to be showing high interest in him. Those I've spoke with familiar with Thurman's recruitment have mentioned before that Florida and South Carolina are the two SEC programs to watch with him and UF could prove tough to beat for him. Right now, Thurman's not listing any leaders publicly. Carolina certainly has a good story to tell him in terms of early playing time at the tackle position in Columbia.

North Carolina ATH Sherman Ragland, who likely best projects as a safety or outside linebacker at the collegiate level, has Wake Forest, South Carolina, and NC State as his top three schools after a recent visit to Wake. South Carolina is one of the schools, along with Maryland, South Florida, and Ohio State that could receive additional visits from the Tarheel State prospect. One factor Carolina has working in their favor is that they are in the SEC, and Ragland has mentioned several times that he would like to play in the league. I believe one he visits South Carolina, they have a chance to make a big move with him. Brad Lawing is the recruiter of record for Ragland.

Hoops Recruiting Note

I talked with a source close to the recruitment of 2011 G Damien Leonard. As I reported previously on the site, Leonard is looking to cut his list in the near future to three programs and I was told Monday (today) could be the day. As of now, that appears to be on hold. Leonard has informed his AAU coach that he wants to set up a visit to Clemson to meet with the new staff there this week, but it's not certain that he will be able to do so because of his schedule. After talking with a couple of different folks around the situation, USC is in very good shape to make the final group whenever the cut does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News