ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - May 14 (New RB offer, 4-star DB leaning to USC?)

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
South Carolina has an offer out to Louisiana running back Tre Turner, a 5-foot-8, 190-pounder that’s a member of the Rivals250 and one of the top prospects nationally at his position according to Rivals.com. I caught up briefly with Turner on Wednesday and he told me the following:

“The South Carolina offer is a big one for me. I’ve been communicating with Coach Sands and Coach Mangus for a while now. I know they don’t recruit New Orleans a lot but we think the offense is a good fit for my skill set. I am also hearing that the baseball staff is interested in me. I can’t wait to get up there next month.”

Turner is already planning on being in Columbia for the Gamecocks’ Showcase camp in mid-June, which is the trip he referenced above. The four-star prospect was committed to Mississippi State for over three months a while back prior to reopening his recruiting process. He’s also a solid baseball player, named to PerfectGame’s 2015 Underclass High All-American Honorable Mention team.

In late April, we told subscribers that four-star Atlanta defensive back Marlon Character was looking at making a commitment in the near future and that the decision would be UGA (although he was going to continue speaking with other programs). Over two weeks later, the worm has turned in a big way there. Georgia’s communication with Character has really fallen off lately and it appears the Bulldogs are slow-playing him in favor of waiting to see what happens with some other DB prospects. Character and his camp have taken note of it, and although he still lists them as a program under consideration, I’m told behind the scenes that UGA is all but out.

Virginia Tech, South Carolina, and Ohio State appear to be the main players here and I get the sense that it’s a Hokie/Gamecock battle. Character plans on visiting USC next month for the Showcase and Tech will also get a visit on the 20th. I believe that USC is going to end up having an excellent shot to sign him. He’s built a very good relationship with lead recruiter Lorenzo Ward and there’s a strong trust level there. Character has sort of pumped the brakes on the recruiting process and because of how things have gone down lately he’s really going to be counting on relationships and looking at how schools recruit him down the stretch. Character is likely a safety at the next level but USC’s talked to him about safety, nickel, corner, or even some offense.

An update on four-star defensive tackle Naquan Jones was in yesterday’s midweek recruiting notes and I actually gathered some more information on his recruitment on Wednesday after that posting. While Jones has not specified the frontrunners within his top six, I’m told that Michigan State and South Carolina appear to be the two main ones to watch there. Jones may try to fit in some more visits before that June 5 commitment date, but the one that seems really locked in is a return trip to Columbia. That trip has really resonated with Jones, who likes the idea of playing down south. He felt very comfortable in Columbia in terms of the area/campus life and the football program. Florida recently offered and I’m told that’s another one to watch closely going forward.

Jones has some interesting ties to the Palmetto State in that he knows several prospects from the state due to training and recruiting exposure, and those ties have helped sustain his interest in USC along the way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News