ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - May 2 (Fball recruiting notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
I am told that South Carolina has extended an offer to 2014 OL Braden Smith from Olathe (Kan.) Olathe South Senior. The Gamecocks have not typically reached out to Kansas on the recruiting trail (with some exceptions in the JUCO ranks, they have recruited some guys there), but Smith is one of the top linemen in the country for the sophomore class. The 6-foot-6, 250-pounder already has 12-15 major scholarship offers (has a 3.9 GPA as well) and more offers are likely on the way. It is way too early to tell what kind of chance the Gamecocks ultimately have as it's early but I've heard he's open. G.A. Mangus is on the case for USC.

Fleming Island (Fla.) safety Donel Elam committed to Louisville in late February this year, but other programs have continued showing interest during the spring evaluation period. West Virginia offered the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder yesterday, and Steve Spurrier Jr. has also been by the school. I hear that USC has offered Elam pending his academics ultimately being in order. He has some improvement to show on that front.

USC now has three defensive end commitments between JUCO prospect Devin Washington.

Washington recently released a top ten on Twitter, in no particular order: South Carolina, Clemson, UCF, Vanderbilt, N.C. State, Duke, USF, FIU, Mizzou, and Ole Miss. Despite his not naming a public leader for some time I believe the Gamecocks to be in good position here. Nobody is sure when Washington is going to make a decision, but for now USC wants him and recruiter Everette Sands will be by the school next Tuesday to check up on him.

Another prospect who released a top ten (on Wednesday morning) was Matthews (N.C.) Butler WR Uriah Lemay. The schools who made that cut were (in no order at all), Clemson, UGA, Louisville, Oklahoma, Nebraska, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, UNC, Ohio State and Tennessee. I know that a lot of folks believe that Lemay will end up Georgia where his brother Christian is a quarterback, but I've been told that's not a lock to happen. That doesn't mean he won't end up there. Lemay had a good visit to South Carolina over the spring but I get the feeling the Gamecocks are not in the upper echelon of his favorites right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News