ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - May 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Football Recruiting

New name on the radar for the Gamecocks in the 2013 class here: On Monday offensive line coach Shawn Elliott stopped by Richmond Academy in Augusta (GA) to evaluate offensive lineman Will Jones. He's a 6-foot-6, 295-pounder with a 3.6 GPA that the staff is interested in and they hope to have in camp in Columbia this summer. Auburn, Cincinnati, Georgia, Georgia Tech, UCF, USF, and Wisconsin are also showing early interest.

I've confirmed that Clayton Stadnik are planning on announcing a college choice on Thursday. Some details here: the announcement will be around at 2:30 in the school's auditorium. As I said in my last update on the Stadniks, South Carolina and Virginia Tech should be considered the top two schools and Gamecocks stand a good chance at landing the pair on Thursday. I'm not sure if they are doing the "hat trick" or how many/which schools they will choose between, but they will likely publicly choose between the schools who have offered both.

FYI, the two always planned to make an earlier decision because they are December graduates and will enroll at the school of their choosing in January. From my understanding, they have been considering a potential announcement this month for at least a couple weeks now but had been keeping it fairly quiet.

The two have been on campus multiple times in Columbia and there's no doubt that South Carolina offering Clayton early in the process (I believe the second or third program to have offered both) helps out as well. Brock has very high upside at tackle and Clayton projects as a center and/or long-snapper. Jay Graham has done a good job with the recruitment as has Shawn Elliott, who plays a role with essentially all of USC's prospects on the offensive line.

Another prospect on USC's board deciding on May 5 is Pennsylvania TE Colin Thompson. G.A. Mangus was by the school last week, but Thompson recently visited Florida and from what I've gathered the Gators look like they may be the team to beat here. Just wanted to pass that along.

Additionally from the Northeast, USC is one of the schools I hear consistently mentioned in the lead group for Pennsylvania WR Eugene Lewis. Penn State has to be considered the leader, as he has been there about six times but he also likes Virginia Tech, South Carolina, and Pittsburgh.

I spoke with Powder Springs (GA) McEachern DE Darius English recently; the 6-foot-6, 210-pounder has offers from Arkansas, Illinois, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Vandy and told me that the Razorbacks and Gamecocks were currently tied for the lead in his recruitment.

English has been on campus at USC before and plans on making the trip again this summer. I feel that the Gamecocks are currently the team to beat. Recruiter G.A. Mangus has been by the school during the evaluation period and he's a player the staff is high on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News