ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - October 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Team Notes

South Carolina has taken nine straight over the Wildcats in the series and are hoping to make it a tenth this weekend. Six of the nine wins have come by seven points or less, so there have been some close ones including the very close call last season.

Looking back at the game last year, I still am not really sure how Carolina won but they found a way and that’s what they’ve done lots of times in this series (remember 2004?)

I think USC will have to play well to win, and as usual I’ll have my Keys to the Game later in the week, but here’s a couple of items of note:

Having Trevard Lindley out for the game is a big deal for South Carolina. You might remember Lindley as the cornerback that ripped away a pass and returned it for a touchdown last season, or more recently the guy helping hold Julio Jones to two catches last week. In addition, Kentucky’s other starter Paul Warford is also banged-up. Kentucky will start a true freshman getting his first career start in Lindley’s place. Carolina will try to take advantage.

While the Wildcats are certainly not a great offensive team this season (only averaging 170 pass yards per game), they don’t give up an awful lot of sacks. Will USC bring less pressure to help in coverage or will they try to force Wildcat QB Brian Hartline into bad decisions by bringing heavy blitz? We will see what the gameplan is on Saturday.

South Carolina has not had a lot of success running the ball in the past couple of games against Kentucky, either, but are poised to fare better this season. Along with improved play on the offensive line, Carolina has some talent at running back that they hope can get some yards on the ground. I think they will have more success this time around.

Football Recruiting

I talked to a source today about Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military DE J.R. Ferguson who was positive about how the five-star's recruitment seemed to be going as far as the Gamecocks were concerned.

Ferguson's dad is a large part of his recruiting, and recruiter Jay Graham has done a great job building a rapport with the father and prospect alike.

As I've mentioned numerous times, USC must get an official from Ferguson to have a shot. There are two slots left for officials, so I expect USC to really try to get one of them. If they can, I firmly believe they are in the game for him. On his last unofficial, Ferguson and his father were impressed by USC, including what J.R. heard from line coach Brad Lawing.

With everything going on in Tallahassee, it looks like there could be an exodus of several Florida State assistants, plus Bobby Bowden. One source told me today that Florida State assistant Odell Haggins is one coach that could last the purging that might occur at the end of the year at Florida State. If you recall, that is the coach that has the connection to DE Darious Cummings. If FSU keeps Haggins, that could help the Noles' chances there, but it would also depend on how comfortable the prospect felt with the rest of the staff and the direction of the program in general. USC made a very good impression on him this past weekend.

I also spoke with a source today on Decatur (GA) Southwest Dekalb S Sharrod Golightly who said that the three-star has been talking up the Gamecocks lately. The three-star is committed to Vanderbilt now but has mentioned taking visits elsewhere in the past. He had planned on visiting South Carolina for the SC State game but was unable to make it. USC is hoping to get him on campus at some point and if they can do that they would have a chance at turning him.

Gamecock commitment Corey Robinson from Havelock, NC has been out with a knee injury for part of the season but has played in the past two games and is good to go now. He has watched USC's games on TV and thought they looked good thus far. He will be visiting the weekend of the Florida game, when USC is expected to have perhaps the largest and talent-rich group of prospects on campus. He is 100% solid and not taking any other visits.

One of Carolina's junior offers within the state is Williston-Elko LB Dexter Staley. The two-way star has several major offers and had previously claimed Florida and Georgia as his favorites. For now, at least publicly, he's back to all-even. Between the in-state programs, the Gamecocks have the edge. He hopes to attend a USC game this season but is not sure which one. For USC, Shane Beamer is recruiting and should have the Gamecocks in the fight for Staley.

A new name to watch in the junior class is Mauldin LB Carson Smith. The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder was on campus for Carolina's last home game against SC State and really enjoyed it. He liked the facilities, the atmosphere, and watching Eric Norwood. Right now, he's hearing from USC, Vanderbilt, Furman, and NC State. He's camped at Vanderbilt and his father played at Furman. He will probably return for another home game this season.

Caught up with Warner-Robins (GA) DT Jeffrey Whitaker Tuesday night, and the Gamecocks could be getting an official visit from the big defender. Whitaker has dropped some weight and I have heard he looks pretty impressive physically now. He claims to be wide open. The four-star tackle likes recruiter Eric Wolford, calling him a straight-up kind of guy. I'll keep you posted on Whitaker's potential visit plans, though I've heard he might not go anywhere until after the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News