ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis (UK)

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
I think the only word that can sum up what happened tonight is disappointing. As good as people felt about South Carolina coming into the game, including me, the feeling after this game isn’t good. The way the game played out and the injuries that happened should cause concern going forward. I don’t know what to say about the injury to Deebo Samuel. I hate it for the kid. It was pretty much a worse-case scenario for South Carolina going into this game. Zack Bailey was also injured in the game and this offensive line really needs him to get back healthy. I don't know the extent to his injury.

The start of the game for South Carolina couldn’t have been any better. The touchdown pass to Deebo and then the interception by Skai Moore made it look like South Carolina was ready to take control of the game. The offense couldn’t capitalize on great field position twice early in the first quarter and that told the story of what was in store for the rest of the game.

South Carolina was awful on both sides of the ball on third downs. The overall stats don’t look bad for South Carolina but Kentucky won the game easily on third downs. It seemed like Kentucky punched South Carolina in the mouth and South Carolina didn’t respond.

Jake Bentley and the offense really struggled in the first half. Kentucky’s defense disguised coverage really well, but Bentley didn’t play well either. I couldn’t see what the receivers were doing down the field but I can only assume that they struggled to get open in the first half.

The end of the first half was just as disappointing as the entire game. I don’t know how you take a delay of game when you know you are kicking a field goal in that position. It cost South Carolina three points.

The first possession of the second half for the offense left me wondering as well. They ran A.J. Turner up the middle on third and fourth down and short up the middle both times and wasn’t successful. The running game was awful all night but Turner up the middle isn’t the best play both times in that situation.

The offense did start moving the ball in the second half and Bentley did play better in the second half. They started taking what was there and hitting the check downs. The touchdown pass to OrTre Smith was a really good throw. The running game was awful. This is the third straight game where South Carolina’s running game has been pretty bad. That is a huge concern going forward. They need to get more creative in the running game and the offensive line has to get more push. Ty’Son Williams had zero carries after the game he had last weekend. That doesn’t make much sense to me.

I don’t want people to think I’m blaming the coaching staff. South Carolina got punched in the mouth tonight by Kentucky and couldn’t get off the mat. I did have some questions about how things played out though and they are above.

I thought the defense played pretty well overall. I think they played well enough to win the game. They did struggle to get off the field on third downs but they were also on the field a lot. They struggled stopping Kentucky’s running game, but most of that was when Taylor Stallworth was off the field in the first half. Kentucky did only average about 3.9 yards per rush. That isn’t that bad. Stephen Johnson played better than I expected. He clinched the game for Kentucky late in the game with his long run. The tackling could have been better as well.

The penalties for South Carolina were really bad as well. They would put South Carolina behind the chains on offense. They were mostly false starts. The defense also had a false start on a big third down and short that allowed Kentucky to continue their drive.

The kicking game is a huge concern going forward. They have to find a field goal kicker and commit to that person. I don’t like the idea of having two field goal kickers.

I don’t know how else to sum it all up besides saying it is disappointing. The injury to Deebo really hurts. The way South Carolina performed upfront offensively is really concerning. This was a game that South Carolina really needed to win if they wanted to be considered a legitimate threat in the SEC East. They will now turn their attention to Louisiana Tech next weekend. It should be a game they win but it will be interesting to see what they look like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News