ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read from ESPN's Schlabach

Dude, when SOS was winning, no difference. And if he had gone undefeated, you would've seen him more. This is the result of a 14-0 team playing for the NC and an opposing fan base that is watching every minute of it.
Hunh? You can call Spurrier a lot of things, but he never seemed to crave the media attention. Maybe he did when he was younger, but I never got that feel for him while he was at SC. He probably tired of it over the years.

I am wrong? Tells me all I need to know about debating with you, so I'll move on.
That's fine. You only want to debate with people who agree with everything you say. Seems kind of pointless.

Regardless, whether you think so or not, it is possible to exploit religion. Just find a late night televangelist if you don't think it's possible. They're not necessarily genuine just because they're "speaking out loud" as you say.

I can't think of a football coach that does more to keep his face in front of the camera than that guy. I mean I can't even think of a close second.

Spurrier was a "media whore" in his prime...

You can’t spell Citrus without UT”

“Is Ray Goff still coaching there?”

“I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP”

“In 12 years at Florida, I don’t think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama…Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.”

In response to an Auburn dorm fire that burned books… “but the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn’t been colored yet.”

“You know FSU stands for Free Shoes University”

On Georgia recruiting… “Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don’t understand that. What happens to them?”

On Danny Wuerffel taking hits… “I think he’s sort of a New Testament guy. He gets slapped in the face, and he turns the other cheek. He says, ‘Lord, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’ I’m probably more of an Old Testament guy, an eye for an eye. You spear our guy in the ear hole and we think we’re supposed to be able to spear you in the ear hole. That’s how we’re a little different.”

On playing Georgia the second week of the season… “I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

Take another swig off that strong koolaid. jeff scott sent that out for all the world to see b/c it would help in recruiting.

Imagine that...a recruiting coordinator doing something for recruiting...looks like that tweet really paid off

He w

You can’t spell Citrus without UT”

“Is Ray Goff still coaching there?”

“I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP”

“In 12 years at Florida, I don’t think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama…Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.”

In response to an Auburn dorm fire that burned books… “but the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn’t been colored yet.”

“You know FSU stands for Free Shoes University”

On Georgia recruiting… “Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don’t understand that. What happens to them?”

On Danny Wuerffel taking hits… “I think he’s sort of a New Testament guy. He gets slapped in the face, and he turns the other cheek. He says, ‘Lord, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’ I’m probably more of an Old Testament guy, an eye for an eye. You spear our guy in the ear hole and we think we’re supposed to be able to spear you in the ear hole. That’s how we’re a little different.”

On playing Georgia the second week of the season… “I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”
He was when he was younger, and most people hated him for it. I'll bet you did too.

Imagine that...a recruiting coordinator doing something for recruiting...
He did it with a religion. You don't think that crosses some kind of line? I know recruiting coordinators pull some sleazy stuff, but that just crosses a line imo. Either way, own it. Just say, "yeah, we exploit religion to get kids to come here".

He w

He was when he was younger, and most people hated him for it. I'll bet you did too.
DS is basically the same age as SOS was then. Personally, I liked the infamous quotes because they were funny and his teams could back it up. However, I didn't like him BECAUSE he could back up his talk and beat everyone ass.

DS is basically the same age as SOS was then. Personally, I liked the infamous quotes because they were funny and his teams could back it up. However, I didn't like him BECAUSE he could back up his talk and beat everyone ass.
My biggest problem with Dabo is that I think he's fake. Spurrier acted like a butthole and he was a butthole. You saw what he really was. Dabo just comes across as completely fake. He's basically a politician.

Reactions: BigTomE
How hard is it to devote an hour or so every week calling into sports talk shows when you make a seven figure salary? Dabo has been doing it for years now. He's ubiquitous. ESPN, CBS, Fox, the Zone, the Fan, the Game, you name it. Just by random sample I would say 4 to 5 for every Spurrier effort.

And you know what? It pays off. I hope Muschamp does the same. We need a media whore.

.”

Being funny does not equate to 1) making the team wait until YOU run down the hill. 2) making the on field media person cut YOU off to go to the locker room. 3) Setting up pre planned questions with your "house" media so that YOU can answer with your prepared rant.

If you are not smart enough to see this it's on you not me. Have a great orange Kool-Aide day.

Isn't that what every red blooded person would do? Take a negative situation and focus on the positives.
Your son is a murderer...but he is a good kid with a kind heart.
SC loses to #1 Clemson...we were the worst team in the SEC but we only lost by 5 pts.

I suppose there is some validity in that.... I guess I should have said that Dabo tells half truths Vs. focusing on the positives. Example: Isaiah Battle: Dabo story, Isaiah has decided to declare for the NFL's supplemental draft. True story: Isaiah has been caught with marijuana again and has been kicked off the team. Dabo didn't necessarily lie, but he told, at best, a half truth.

Reactions: NetworkX
He did it with a religion. You don't think that crosses some kind of line? I know recruiting coordinators pull some sleazy stuff, but that just crosses a line imo. Either way, own it. Just say, "yeah, we exploit religion to get kids to come here".
No, I don't. Crossing the line would be telling the kid on thing in order to get them to sign and then telling them something different once they are in the program...the bait and switch. Kids going to Clemson know exactly what they are getting...coaches who have strong faith and are not afraid to show it.

No, I don't. Crossing the line would be telling the kid on thing in order to get them to sign and then telling them something different once they are in the program...the bait and switch. Kids going to Clemson know exactly what they are getting...coaches who have strong faith and are not afraid to show it.

In my experience, real Christians don't find it necessary to tell everyone how religious they are. You can typically see it by their actions, so constant and public reminders aren't necessary. I just see it differently than you.

Speaking out loud about your faith is not exploitation. That's one of the major problems with people today in that speaking about one's faith is treated as something you're not supposed to do. My suggestion is don't listen if you don't want to hear The Word, but for those brave enough to speak it, speak loudly.

Dabo does much more than speaking loudly about his faith. It's part of his recruiting sales pitch, which again isn't wrong, but it is wrong that he exploits faith to falsely proclaim Clemson as something it is not. He pitches Clemson like it's a bible camp, when in actuality it has all of the same problems that "big city" schools have. Clemson is no different than any other large College in the country. Dabo turns a blind eye to all evidence that proves Clemson has these same problems as every other school, tries to prevent these problems from being reported, knowingly tells half truths in an effort to control negative media attention, then continues to pitch Clemson as a vacation bible camp and himself as a Spiritual leader.

And to be clear, I have no problem with running a Christian program. After Clemson, my next most hated team is Georgia. I absolutely cannot stand Georgia, but I have always considered Mark Richt to be as classy as they come. I've heard him talk about his faith, but he didn't take every opportunity he could to talk about it.

In response to OzWizard I'd like to say this. I am a Christian first, above all else, including this rivalry. I support anyone who helps spread the message of forgiveness and salvation though our Lord and Savior. Dabo can be one of those voices crying in the wilderness like the rest of us and I will support him. He said in a talk one day that he should use his position to further the spreading of the gospel. I support him 100% in that endeavor. I believe that all of us have a ministry to perform in our jobs or other ways. The problem I have is when anyone's beliefs are used in any way other than to bring people to Christ.

Dabo is walking a fine line at times. He clearly has abandonment issues with his father leaving the family at such an early age so he seeks acceptance and praise (a very common issue). That's why he stands at the rock by himself (with all the football players in the background) kissing it and looking toward heaven, to receive the praise of all the screaming fans for himself. I don't know of any other coach who does this (I may be wrong). When he gave the rant, it was not spur of the moment. It was staged, he is not being truthful otherwise. The tigernet webpage was literally on fire against him, the day after the rant it was all in his favor. My Clemson friends are glorifying him like all fans do with coaches they love. Alabama does it with Saban, we did it with Spurrier. The issue I have is I keep hearing about his faith. How Clemson is the better place to go because of him and his faith. Baptizing a player in a wash tub at practice? I love the idea of that, but to recruit players? No. All teams pray before games. All teams have chaplains. Most every coach you hear of is a Christian and promotes it.

When you believe you are better than others because of your faith and you participate in public prayer to glorify yourself (school, workplace, party, etc.) you are in danger of being the same as a group of people chastised in the new testament.

They were called Pharisees.

I just don't want anyone to use religion to advance themselves or enrich others. And it may come back to haunt him (like Jimmy V) or give Christianity a black eye. The message I get from a lot of fans is Jesus is better at Clemson. Dabo is a good salesman. He wears Clemson clothes to preach in. He has other people telling the world he is a great Christian (I have a Sunday school class that says that). It's just a fine line that can be crossed and success gets to big at times and temptation is always there. I actually said this to a Clemson fan and he said "Dabo would never do that". He is just a man that can fail and if his not careful, he can do a lot of damage.

Don't forget you had a very devout Christian as a head coach that you ran off because he didn't win. His name was Ken Hatfield. Sometimes being a Christian means you might lose games. I wonder how much he would be loved if he was losing and baptizing players at practice?

Dude, when SOS was winning, no difference. And if he had gone undefeated, you would've seen him more. This is the result of a 14-0 team playing for the NC and an opposing fan base that is watching every minute of it.

Here's the difference... when Spurrier was winning reporters couldn't wait for him to speak, so they could get their daily quotes. They hung on his every word. They would purposefully ask him provoking questions just to get a reaction, then print their story. When Spurrier said something funny, they all laughed with him. If he said something was wrong, then they all agreed with him. If he took the blame for something, then they all piled on him.
Dabo shows up in front of cameras and hits all of his talking points as if he's reading form a script. The few times he's tried to speak from the cuff, it's been rehearsed and even those reactions came off as scripted. When Dabo says, or does something goofy, then reporters aren't laughing with him like they did with Spurrier. Their all laughing at him.
Obviously you don't agree that he's a camera whore, but have you ever watched the way he runs down the hill at home games? He spends an odd amount of time worshipping the doorstop on a pedestal. Then he acts like a WWF wrestler and pumps up the crowd, before sprinting towards the first camera he sees at the bottom of the hill. Check it out on YouTube, it's actually pretty funny. It takes me right back to watching the ridiculous entrances of WWF wrestlers during the mid 80's. Hell, he even has theme music playing.

They do NOT know exactly what they are getting. They are getting a school that has the exact same problems as every other school in the country. They are told that they're going away to bible camp up in them hills.

In my experience, real Christians don't find it necessary to tell everyone how religious they are. You can typically see it by their actions, so constant and public reminders aren't necessary. I just see it differently than you.

I can't agree with what you said here,Blble says do things "in word and deed".People have enough to bash him on already,the Christian thing,it just crosses the line with me..

I can't agree with what you said here,Blble says do things "in word and deed".People have enough to bash him on already,the Christian thing,it just crosses the line with me..

I'll go extreme. Do you think someone like Binny Hinn used/ is using the his words as God intended? If not, can you agree that there is at least SOME line that can be crossed with regards to how your words are used?

They do NOT know exactly what they are getting. They are getting a school that has the exact same problems as every other school in the country. They are told that they're going away to bible camp up in them hills.
you really believe that? There is not one university that is immune to problems and temptations that face college athletes. Even Bob Jones University has its share of problems. Just because a coach wears his religion on his sleeve doesn't mean the university is holier than thou and just because a few guys get in trouble doesn't mean they are running a crime ring. Be realistic. But I get it, its a rivalry thing, you can find fault in anything and everything the other does. I think this discussion could go on and on forever, but I think this is one of those times we can all agree to disagree.

Other than the fact he coaches UPC, I have nothing against him. If he coached any of our other rivals, say, an SEC team, I would hold that against him as well. But on a personal level, nah, no more than I disdained Richt while he was coaching UGA. I do find some of Swinney's antics comical, but he's riding high right now, so the media and public-at-large give him a pass. The same shtick would get him fired if they weren't winning, but right now, it's academic. They are.

All Christians are hypocrisy in life in some ways." And so are non-Christians.

"My suggestion is don't listen if you don't want to hear The Word, but for those brave enough to speak it, speak loudly." Amen.

From the FFRF complaint:

"It uncovered a host of issues, from Swinney directly hiring the team chaplain (even Clemson policy says the players should choose), to coaches participating in testimonials and bible studies, to buses being organized to transport the entire team to "Church Day" at a local Baptist Church."

I think that is all good, but bussing the ENTIRE team to church? all 100 of them?

Shouldn't the way he lives his life and treats others be the motivation for others to find out why he is happy and secure in his relationship with God? I can't get my three kids to agree to go to church sometimes, but he gets 100 18-22 year olds to all WANT to go? On the same day?

HMMMM.....

All I'm asking is, is he using his faith in a way to enrich himself? I do not believe for one second that he is the most devout Christian coach in America, so why is he always using it? This ain't a Carolina thing, I'm a Christian first and don't want my religion to get publicly embarrassed over football.

Last edited:
From the FFRF complaint:

"It uncovered a host of issues, from Swinney directly hiring the team chaplain (even Clemson policy says the players should choose), to coaches participating in testimonials and bible studies, to buses being organized to transport the entire team to "Church Day" at a local Baptist Church."

I think that is all good, but bussing the ENTIRE team to church? all 100 of them?

Shouldn't the way he lives his life and treats others be the motivation for others to find out why he is happy and secure in his relationship with God? I can't get my three kids to agree to go to church sometimes, but he gets 100 18-22 year olds to all WANT to go? On the same day?

HMMMM.....

All I'm asking is, is he using his faith in a way to enrich himself? I do not believe for one second that he is the most devout Christian coach in America, so why is he always using it? This ain't a Carolina thing, I'm a Christian first and don't want my religion to get publicly embarrassed over football.

If you were a casual Christian you would understand that you are digging yourself a hole.The Bible says in Like 14," go out unto the highways and hedges and COMPEL them to come in that my house may be full".The Bible is very plain in one thing,it does not care about man's opinion.Hate for Dabo is normal from a Carolina fan,leave the man's faith out of the discussion.

Hold on. Dabo and I share the same faith. The bible says we are to hold each other accountable. All I'm saying is he is putting his faith out there in a way to be scrutinized and people will wait for him to fail. I don't want him to fail and make Christianity look like a commodity to enrich himself. I pray for all soldiers of Christ to fight the good fight. I think it's great the he has bible studies. All schools have them. And I would like to think he offers them to all his players to attend if they want. And that he lives his life in a manner that "compels" them to attend. But bussing all of them to church isn't compelling is it? I want him to be a voice in the wilderness and bring people to Christ.

You say leave his faith out of it. That's the opposite of what your coach wants. This is what happens. I just want him to be careful and true in his walk. We all fail, but he could fail epically if he is not careful.

I'm sorry my friend,controversial remarks about putting college kids on a bus and taking them to a baptist church in the south,has nothing to do with accountability.The Bible says " judgement starts at the house of GOD",you can't hold somebody accountable for doing something God already told us to do.
Furthermore I didn't say " leave faith" out of it,I said leave his out of it.Listen Billy Graham or a local Baptist preacher can fail,to say something about somebody that's doing something more than me,because GOD has given him resources to do it,there is nothing Spiritual about that..Taking a subject like accountability,and saying that's what you doing,is just not true.. I'm sure they are accountability partners in your church ,people you actually interact with in life, could benefit more from " iron sharpening iron",than a man you have never had a conversation with.

I think you and I are on the same page but the rivalry has us differing on this topic. Dabo has had to grow up in front of the camera. He has been silly and inappropriate. He is made fun of on tv by sports writers and comedians. and it has had nothing to do with his religion but how he handles himself. He makes me nervous with having this much exposure and power to affect how people view the church.

I hope he can change the world for Christ and I pray he does.

Reactions: Mikmojo11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT