ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting video from 1977 Carolina/Clempson game

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
See the link below. I know the outcome of the game wasnt good, but its an interesting vintage video showing 70s era uniforms, Williams Brice with only one upper deck, etc.

Also, check out the cool huge flag the cheerleaders run out onto the field at 5:01. It has the old "scholarship/leadership" Gamecock logo. I kinda remember seeing this as a kid and always thought it was just another idea CU stole from Carolina.

There are so few vintage 70s/80s videos on YouTube of Gamecock games.

Reactions: cockthehammer#
You gotta be a Tater. No self-respecting Gamecock would post this. Just kidding, kinda. This game and ‘The Catch’ is seared into my nightmares. The only one that was worse was the Willie Underwood game that was the spring board to Clempsons first cheating Natty.

Ronnie Bass!

DiZYvmTVMAEyZ43

This one was televised regionally by ABC. Had a little 13’ Black & White portable TV set at my Sat. job my senior year in high school. Service station & garage and the owner was a gamecock fan. Okayed me to bring in the TV for the game. Kickoff was around 3:30-4:00 & we had maybe one customer after the game started. Boss & I watched in dismay as we fell way behind by halftime. Almost switched it off. Then...we came storming back in the 4th quarter to take the lead...& the rest, of course, is (unfortunate) history. Boss & I closed up the station & went our separate ways w/o even saying “goodbye/goodnight”. I drove around aimlessly for a couple of hours. I would always go home & shower whether or not I was planning to go out. My mom got a bit worried once I was about an hour late w/o calling!! She knew how disappointed I would be about the game & figured my being late was related to it. So, she said she didn’t worry “too much”. Momma knew her boy!! 😀

Last edited:
Reactions: Brutal Rooster
See the link below. I know the outcome of the game wasnt good, but its an interesting vintage video showing 70s era uniforms, Williams Brice with only one upper deck, etc.

Also, check out the cool huge flag the cheerleaders run out onto the field at 5:01. It has the old "scholarship/leadership" Gamecock logo. I kinda remember seeing this as a kid and always thought it was just another idea CU stole from Carolina.

There are so few vintage 70s/80s videos on YouTube of Gamecock games.

The "great rise of Clemson who won just 3 games a year ago". I guess that is when Charlie Pell started the 1970's version of Clemson'ss NIL payments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT