ADVERTISEMENT

Internet rumors

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
Been hearing this since Sunday...Did not want to post it...But the rumors are getting stronger and more sourced...Nikki McCray might leave our WBB program to become HBC at Old Dominion as early as this afternoon or tomorrow...

Reactions: Golfing Gamecock
Yep, it's been all over twitter today. I'm surprised it has taken this long with how the program has elevated over the years. Good for her! I'm guessing we'll get ODU on the schedule.

Reactions: SCGCock07
Well dookie. Hope this doesn't negatively impact any recruits considering us - we have some really good ones with us in their top list.

She is a warrior and has proven to be a HC candidate for some time. Frankly, I can't believe she wasn't gone already.
She will do great things. ODU was once a national power. Didn't Nancy Lieberman play there?

That is great news for Nikki! She has been such an inspiration in basketball and life with her overcoming cancer. I will miss her high pitched yelling from the bench. We may quickly see her back in the SEC as she is a UT grad and Warlick will soon depart. This will open up a spot for Melanie Balcomb on the bench and the recruiting trail unless she also gets a head coaching job.

I am happy for coach McCray, but sad for the Gamecocks. However, this is a sign of a successful program. Coach Staley attracts excellent coaches, and other schools will go after them. This is a lot better than having a bunch of assistant coaches nobody else wants.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Reactions: gamecockblack
And round and round it goes and so, the coaching tree grows.

Best wishes for success.

That is great news for Nikki! She has been such an inspiration in basketball and life with her overcoming cancer. I will miss her high pitched yelling from the bench. We may quickly see her back in the SEC as she is a UT grad and Warlick will soon depart. This will open up a spot for Melanie Balcomb on the bench and the recruiting trail unless she also gets a head coaching job.

Warlick will be fired after this season...Coach McCray wont have time to build a portfolio at ODU in time to replace the incompetent Holly Warlick..I am shocked UT didn't can her last season...Bringing her back makes no sense to me...Holly should have lunch with Chad Holbrook...That would be quite a conversation

Clearly I agree that Warlick is not up to the task. You have predicted her firing after the last two seasons, keep predicting it every year and eventually you will be correct. They will give her two years with that #1 recruiting class. For as bad as we diss her, she has a .736 winning %, 2 SEC regular season titles, one SEC tournament title and has been in the NCAA tournament all five years (elite 8 x 3, sweet 16 once, and second round once) if Chad had done as well we would be happy

Last edited:
Clearly I agree that Warlick is not up to the task. You have predicted her firing after the last two seasons, keep predicting it every year and eventually you will be correct. They will give her two years with that #1 recruiting class. For as bad as we diss her, she has a .736 winning %, 2 SEC regular season titles, one SEC tournament title and has been in the NCAA tournament all five years (elite 8 x 3, sweet 16 once, and second round once) if Chad had done as well we would be happy

For the record, i hope they never fire her...Also last season was the first year i ever predicted her firing...It was also my first year on this forum...The record you stated is not good enough for Tennessee fans and alums..They have been reduced to a second tier SEC program...The Vols are looking up at USC and MissSt...

As for their much ballyhoo'd recruiting class, they do it every year...They will never have a more talented team than they had last season...Also i like our class better than theirs...Some of their hyped up frosh play the same positions as DeShields, Russell and Nared...Good luck with those girls getting a lot of playing time...Obviously Hayes will play at point with Tea Cooper leaving..But a freshman point guard? Good luck with that one

For the record, i hope they never fire her...Also last season was the first year i ever predicted her firing...It was also my first year on this forum...The record you stated is not good enough for Tennessee fans and alums..They have been reduced to a second tier SEC program...The Vols are looking up at USC and MissSt...

As for their much ballyhoo'd recruiting class, they do it every year...They will never have a more talented team than they had last season...Also i like our class better than theirs...Some of their hyped up frosh play the same positions as DeShields, Russell and Nared...Good luck with those girls getting a lot of playing time...Obviously Hayes will play at point with Tea Cooper leaving..But a freshman point guard? Good luck with that one
All that said they still give her two more years

Didn't know Tia Cooper was leaving. Interesting because Deshields wanted to go to Tenn to play with her friend Cooper. Was said at one time where ever Cooper went, so would DeShields as a package.

Have you thought about the possibility that's is just not important to him?;)
Yes, but if it were so unimportant why even bring it up....unless, it was to brag about his ignorance or disrespect the person being discussed, Nikki McCray Penson(Dawn's Asst. Coach from day one, 3X all WNBA, 2X Olympic gold medal winner)?

I agree that McCray can be in line for that job at TN if she shows she is capable as a head coach at ODU for a couple of years. I also think it could be hard for TN to fire Warlick at this point because she has won a share of SEC championship, won an SEC Tournament, and been to a couple of Elite 8s. I understand that their expectations for WBB are much higher than that, but I would dare say she has had more success than Holbrook so far because of the titles. I think it would be hard to fire a coach the success she has had, and I would imagine (I don't the answer to this for sure) she has a pretty big buy out unless she is at point in her contract where she has less than four years on it.
Also, isn't TN still paying something like 3 current and former head coaches for football right now for all the hiring and firing they've done? (Dooley, Kiffin and Butch Jones). Perhaps they wouldn't be able to justify another buyout right now. Just a thought.
Under Warlick, TN has certainly had enough talent to beat you, but they just haven't been able to put it all together consistently - whether it's team chemistry, coaching or both! (Look at the last 2 years - they beat us this year at our palce - bad call at the end not withstanding, and the year before they had so much talent but tanked in the regular season only to get hot at the right time and each the ELite 8). Go figure.

Um, we just won a National Championship, SEC Regular Season Championship, and SEC Tourney Championship with a freshman point guard.

Um, we just won a National Championship, SEC Regular Season Championship, and SEC Tourney Championship with a freshman point guard.
snake...we won those championships playing 2 point guards at the same time...one being a dynamic junior with a penchant for coming up big in the biggest moments...Tyasha Harris is great...Will be our best pg ever imho..But we wouldn't have won squat without Cuevas and our talented wings ability to handle and pass the ball...In other words Ms. Harris had truly great players around her...

UT has a bunch volume shooting ball hogs that choke and turn the ball over like crazy at the worst times

Reactions: 67gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT