ADVERTISEMENT

Is Hilinski durable enough to survive a season?

He's 18 and yes needs to add some weight and muscle.
RH took some big time hits against Alabama and hung in their, he'll be ok!
Trask is like 240lbs so that helps him.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Curious everyone’s thoughts but when I see the hits other QBs are able to sustain (Trask last night), it feels like Hilinski may need to add some weight or something.
No. Obviously not. We need to throw him on the junk heap and go back to the drawing board. Because young quarterbacks never get hurt.

12th post. Thanks for dropping by.

Curious everyone’s thoughts but when I see the hits other QBs are able to sustain (Trask last night), it feels like Hilinski may need to add some weight or something.

He took an absolute beating this weekend! The offensive line has GOT to do a better job of protecting him! I saw a couple of plays where Georgia defenders shot through the gap, completely untouched by our linemen and smashed Hilinski. We have got to improve on pass protection. I don't think its been horrible, I just think there is much room for improvement and that has to happen to protect our QB. Hilinski will get stronger. He is a very tough kid! He needs better protection.

At current pace no!

Knee injuries obviously aside, it just feels to me he needs another 20lbs or so be able to sustain the hits that SEC QBs will get over the course of a season. Keep in mind, due to his injury and the fact that we can’t risk losing him, he hasn’t been asked to run yet at all. I hope he can add weight.

Knee injuries obviously aside, it just feels to me he needs another 20lbs or so be able to sustain the hits that SEC QBs will get over the course of a season. Keep in mind, due to his injury and the fact that we can’t risk losing him, he hasn’t been asked to run yet at all. I hope he can add weight.
He's a true freshman and still a teenager. Expect him to fill out over time. The original plan wasn't for him to start most of the season.

He's 18 and yes needs to add some weight and muscle.
RH took some big time hits against Alabama and hung in their, he'll be ok!
Trask is like 240lbs so that helps him.
Yep, Trask is huge and is a junior. Comparing how the two take hits is pointless. Ryan needs some time to fill out.

Depends how many shots anyone can take to the lower body.........they ain’t too many Roman Gabriel’s out there anymore.

Fortunately young people heal more quickly. If he comes back for FL he will take some shots from their defense. Dak, if he starts, will take some shots from their defense as well (and his leg is obviously not 100% if you watched the UGA game). Going forward maybe we need a plan to rotate guys at QB to minimize injuries until we can get better pass protection?

Hold your horses Captain Obvious... Maybe he will put on his freshman 15 before he plays again. Seriously; he was gutsy as hell out there Saturday! He will be fine and I love his competitive nature! He will get bigger and stronger. Patience amigo!

I mentioned something similar in another post. I just hope he's not injury prone.

Depends how many shots anyone can take to the lower body.........they ain’t too many Roman Gabriel’s out there anymore.

Yes, Roman was a man amoung men. "He did not like getting his jersey dirty, even with 1-2 guys hanging on him"

True but should have been the starter all along. Hilinski gonna be great one.
Agreed but my point is that SEC QBs all take a beating. The SEC is the best b/c of the dlines. Definitely need to be durable to make it the whole season. But you also have got to be lucky, especially if your oline isn't great. Kentucky is on their 3rd QB. Even Tua was hurt at the end of last season.

He took an absolute beating this weekend! The offensive line has GOT to do a better job of protecting him! I saw a couple of plays where Georgia defenders shot through the gap, completely untouched by our linemen and smashed Hilinski. We have got to improve on pass protection. I don't think its been horrible, I just think there is much room for improvement and that has to happen to protect our QB. Hilinski will get stronger. He is a very tough kid! He needs better protection.
He was 15 for 20 before he left that sounds like protection to me.

did you even see the hit that took him out? adding 100 lbs would not help in this case

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
He's already 5 pounds heavier than the average NFL quarterback at 230. He is plenty big.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hilinski is 10 pounds heavier now than Gabriel was when he was in the pros. Roman was an inch or so taller. Roman looked so big because he was big for a QB then. Because the average size of a defensive tackle was about 270. Now it's almost 310. In fact, off hand I can't think of a bigger QB at Carolina. Jenkins was close. And Jake and Ryan are just about identical. Both are bigger than Tanneyhill

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hilinski is 10 pounds heavier now than Gabriel was when he was in the pros. Roman was an inch or so taller. Roman looked so big because he was big for a QB then. Because the average size of a defensive tackle was about 270. Now it's almost 310. In fact, off hand I can't think of a bigger QB at Carolina. Jenkins was close. And Jake and Ryan are just about identical. Both are bigger than Tanneyhill

Hope I look this good at 80..........btw, think Freddie.B saw him at Carolina Stadium?

He's a big kid. He's taken shots that wouldve killed some QBs. Honestly, the shot he took at Mizzou was as hard of one as I've seen. I was there and it looked horrible in person. Kid's tough....really tough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT