ADVERTISEMENT

Is Spurrier really a good coach?

Gamecock122

Dec 17, 2005
Is he really a good coach or is he a Dabo with bad coaches around him? Dabo has proven to be a so-so coach but he has good coaches/recruiters surrounding him. Spurrier walked into Fla with talent falling out his ears and then started his run. As the run continued, so did the talent wanting in. When he lost a few coaches he replaced them with good coaches and the talent continued to flow in. SOS comes to SC and nothing really happened for the first 5 years until "his coaches" started to get a few blues in the house, then we lose a few of "his coaches" and the talent goes elsewhere. So, I ask, is SOS really a good coach or is he a Dabo?

Is he really a good coach or is he a Dabo with bad coaches around him? Dabo has proven to be a so-so coach but he has good coaches/recruiters surrounding him. Spurrier walked into Fla with talent falling out his ears and then started his run. As the run continued, so did the talent wanting in. When he lost a few coaches he replaced them with good coaches and the talent continued to flow in. SOS comes to SC and nothing really happened for the first 5 years until "his coaches" started to get a few blues in the house, then we lose a few of "his coaches" and the talent goes elsewhere. So, I ask, is SOS really a good coach or is he a Dabo?
xEwpWkb.gif

Reactions: CalmTranquility
He is a very good coach. Unfortunately, he is a very lazy coach and is loyal to a fault. Also, he is wearing dad goggles and allowing his son to bury us.

Reactions: king ward
Spurrier is still the man. Unfortunately he's surrounded himself a with a bunch of morons that couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag. He needs good assistants that are good recruiters because he's never been one to recruit hard on his own.

Reactions: goboykin
Name as many HOF college coaches as you can think of...And how many of those have never had an undefeated season? Just curious...

If he would hold his staff to higher expectations maybe we would get better performances out of our team. I can see a 70 year old man slowing down but the rest of the staff should be ashamed of their 6 figure salaries. He needs a driver driver assistant head coach who wants to get promoted and is not afraid to kick azz.

I think the results are telling us the answer to this. When he had great talent, he was a very good coach. And talent is also his responsibility.

Yes, he's a very good coach and play caller.

He also hates recruiting and won't kiss ass or try and be something he's not.

Remember Dabo kissing Clowney's ass and telling him that he loved him? Dabo has no shame. I guess that's what we need these days.

Sometimes I wonder if other coaches may have had the same success if they were given the same job stability as Spurrier . And quite frankly whoever got Lattimore, Gilmore, Alshon, Clowney was going to win a lot of games.

Reactions: swampfox33
He was a great coach. Still capable of being a great coach.. Is he still committed is the bigger question in my mind right now? Go Gamecocks!!

He is one of the best play callers in the game.
Do what. I would say the rookie from UGA kicked the crap out of him. Now it's looking like more walk ons. At running back. Yeah let's save AJ Turner and Mon Denson for the next staff.

Yes, he is a great Coach. He has had many playmakers on most of his teams. Unfortunately he hasn't had many the last two years

Spurrier is still the man. Unfortunately he's surrounded himself a with a bunch of morons that couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag. He needs good assistants that are good recruiters because he's never been one to recruit hard on his own.
Who else do you know that's really winning at a high level today who isn't recruiting hard on his own?

I believe he WAS...BUT he's already proven that he could be and was a good coach. Just like Holtz was. However, we got both of them when they no longer had the "Eye of the Tiger" in either of them. Both "Has-Beens". No doubt Spurrier did up our program. We just need to find that younger coach who's hungry.

If Spurrier understands exactly what he has on offense, how those players can be used most effectively and how they execute under pressure, he is phenomenal. His individual play calls in 2013, won us 5 relatively close games against quality opponents. Spurrier is one of the few coaches around that can blow a game wide open with 1 play. But overall, his offense is too difficult to run in this era of college football. It requires too much precise timing and split second decision making. It takes too much time for a QB to develop in his system. In a spread offense, you have multiple options available, without requiring the QB to read defenses. It's just a more forgiving and prolific style of offense. Spurrier's offense is designed to attack specific weaknesses in a defense. Spread offenses were designed to overwhelm defenses. Spurrier can't control every player the way he wants to. Players make mistakes and theoretically, Spurrier's plays require perfection from all involved.

I
Who else do you know that's really winning at a high level today who isn't recruiting hard on his own?
Kansas State but this year they don't look so hot. They consistently win, although most times they lose a game or two they don't need to lose. That program came up from worse than ours did.

Reactions: king ward
Yes. Great coach. And recruiter.

It's funny a lot of you say he doesn't recruit because we no longer have Lattimore, Clowney, Gilmore, Jeffery or Connor Shaw, etc. Well, he got those guys here to begin with, didn't he? Does that not mean he can recruit? And based on three (11) win seasons at freaking SC, I'd say he can coach as well..

Some of you are either young, or have forgotten where you came from..

At 70, does he still have the fire? Legitimate question? Are we now getting that talent? Legitimate, but since everyone loves to follow stars, we signed more (4) stars last class than any other.

IMO, it is more than just recruiting and/or coaching. It is more a culmination of a multitude of things. Injuries have played a factor. Attrition plays a factor. Missing on a couple of evaluations plays a factor. Leaving early for the pros plays a factor. Add all that up and with opposing coaches and the negative recruiting, it can get tough on any good team..

Reactions: Tigerof66
I

Kansas State but this year they don't look so hot. They consistently win, although most times they lose a game or two they don't need to lose. That program came up from worse than ours did.
Respectfully, we can't do it the way they do it out there in the SEC. They couldn't do it in the SEC. Granted, he's been a good coach.

Phenomenal coach. One of the best 10 college football coaches ever. EVER. Lacks some key weapons this year offensively; hence the struggles. You switch the head coaches in that first game to the other team, and UNC wins that game by nearly 30 points. As a Heel fan, I saw it coming. Spurrier kept poking and found a soft spot in my Heels' D, the right side 6 gap. And just kept attacking it. Best I've seen in the game in optimizing what he finds working within the game. Doesn't get too slavish to any one thing; he just finds what works and milks it. Makes him tough to prepare for, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tidal Creek Cock
I am a Clemson fan and certainly no fan of SOS but the man won a ACC FOOTBALL Championship at DUKE during the Ford years at Clemson. Yes that was a long time ago but still I think it speaks to his ability. He took SC to the SECCG in 2010 and was within an inexplicable loss in both 2011 & 2012 in taking SC back to the SECCG. He can hang with anyone, even at 70, in regards to game day coaching. What seems to have slipped considerably is the talent he his coaching. You could have Knute Rockne on the sidelines but if you have Dickey Demassey at QB it is not going to matter.

Yes. Great coach. And recruiter.

It's funny a lot of you say he doesn't recruit because we no longer have Lattimore, Clowney, Gilmore, Jeffery or Connor Shaw, etc. Well, he got those guys here to begin with, didn't he? Does that not mean he can recruit? And based on three (11) win seasons at freaking SC, I'd say he can coach as well..

Some of you are either young, or have forgotten where you came from..

At 70, does he still have the fire? Legitimate question? Are we now getting that talent? Legitimate, but since everyone loves to follow stars, we signed more (4) stars last class than any other.

IMO, it is more than just recruiting and/or coaching. It is more a culmination of a multitude of things. Injuries have played a factor. Attrition plays a factor. Missing on a couple of evaluations plays a factor. Leaving early for the pros plays a factor. Add all that up and with opposing coaches and the negative recruiting, it can get tough on any good team..
Agree with everything except the point on the recruiting. You seem to acknowledge recruiting is a problem but it deserves more of attention than you seem to want to give it. Its not so much about our recruiting compared to years past that is a problem but how much our competition has improved in recruited while we have stayed about the same. You said last year we had more 4 stars than ever. I'll concede that because I don't research back that far. However we signed 30 players last class. It was one of the largest classes in the country. Wideman and Sawyer (2 4 stars right there) should not have counted toward that class because it was their second time but they did. So even with the most 4 stars we have ever had, one of the largest classes in the country,(largest in the SEC), and 2 guys counting for the second time; we STILL had only the 8th ranked class in the SEC. So yes, you look at these ranking and say, hey, it looks like we are doing pretty okay, but not quite. We are slipping. We are getting recruits on the fact that we play in the SEC and we have needs. We are not getting enough of the QUALITY of player we need. We are getting the kind: 1. That have scholarships for better teams, that don't want to wait on the bench. 2. Have a pretty good rating but other teams are passing on them. 3. Guys no one else really wants but they showed up for camp and the coaches like what they saw that day. Also you can't just give credit for recruiting all the good players we've gotten without mentioning the high percentage of busts we have had.

But I DO agree that recruiting it doesn't justify being as bad as we are if our coaching and player development were any good. We have been relatively good on offense. We are having a down year this year in that department. Defensive Coaching has been atrocious obviously and I see that as our number 1 problem. Strength and Conditioning has been awful as well. Recruiting has been so-so but it has been getting worse and that looks to be trend. Because the fact of the matter is, it doesn't much matter WHY you lose, It doesn't matter WHY the team looks terrible on the field. If you lose a lot of games, and you consistently look bad and attempt after attempt of trying to fix the problems fails and new problems sprout up, recruits are going to be turned off by your team.

Then you throw in the fact that Steve Spurrier is in his 11th year at South Carolia. He is 70 years old, he said he thought about retiring last year, all these coaches recruiting against us and the media, and social media keep reminding these kids about this over and over. It really looks like he is not going to be around as soon as next year. It looks like that could be absolutely true to everyone. Because let's face it, Spurrier hasn't done a lot of losing in his life. He has a low tolerance for losing and he didn't come here to do that. If he starts to be a consistent loser why would he want to keep doing it? I mean, the guy has a low tolerance for quitting too, but there is only so much losing he is going to be able to take. He's a Heisman winner. Hes won a lot of championships when he was younger. He is ultra-competitive even on the golf course. If he can't win anymore the way he used to, it's going to be a clear sign for him walk away. And everyone pretty knows this and is seeing this about to happen as long as we are bad.

So to sum up I think the biggest problems the last few years to present have been: 1. Defensive coaching. 2. Strength and conditioning. 3. recruiting. The first two are things that can still be fixed although, it seems like they are having a hell of a time for the last 2 years of actually fixing it. 3. At this point I say, the only thing that can be done about it is 1. Actually fix the problems and actually start winning a bunch of games (looks bleak because even if we fix our issues most of our opponents still have better players and getting stronger and quicker is difficult and takes a lot of time, and we have been trying to get the players to play with good fundamentals and have not had hardly any success after a good long while.) 2. Adopt a completely new aggressive recruiting strategy similar to what other top teams and up and coming teams are doing. Not settling for guys just because they showed up to the camp and looked pretty good. You need to get the studs to show up to camps. (Not sure how good our current staff would be at this. I don't they have the right kind of personality otherwise we'd all ready be recruiting that way.) Either way, it one or both of the scenarios don't happen right now our recruiting is just going to continue to get worse which mean our team will continue to get worse, because no matter how good our head coach is, he can't get on the field and make plays for these guys. If they don't start making plays, winning some games, and looking like pretty good football team now. Spurrier won't be able to get the talent to do so later. We'll have to get someone else in here to crank up the recruiting efforts to a very high level and hope coaching is good as well. Than maybe we can start to build a little momentum every year so that we can get back to where we want to be.

The Head Ball coach is an ok recruiter. He gets some great guys, which is evident in the past. But the Nick Chubb story floating around out there ( https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/that-time-nick-chubb-didnt-get-to-meet-steve-spurrier ) only further proves that the recruiting factor of Steve is sometimes lacking.

Really concerns me. Not meeting the guy who is now running all over everyone, including us, just shouldn't happen.

I would be shocked if Spurrier stays after this year. He changed the perception of football here, let's not let it change back before he leaves.

Phenomenal coach. One of the best 10 college football coaches ever. EVER. Lacks some key weapons this year offensively; hence the struggles. You switch the head coaches in that first game to the other team, and UNC wins that game by nearly 30 points. As a Heel fan, I saw it coming. Spurrier kept poking and found a soft spot in my Heels' D, the right side 6 gap. And just kept attacking it. Best I've seen in the game in optimizing what he finds working within the game. Doesn't get too slavish to any one thing; he just finds what works and milks it. Makes him tough to prepare for, too.

Excellent point. Spurrier is good at identifying and attacking a defense's weakness. But his offense is generally too complex to develop a QB quickly. It takes much longer when compared to a QB in a spread offense. More pressure to do the right thing at the right time and tons of information for a QB to absorb in Spurrier's system. Recruits can come into another program that runs a spread offense and as long as they fit the mold and can throw the football, they can hit the ground running(or throwing in this case). They will have bigger numbers, have more highlights and won't have to read defenses and check off receivers in order to be successful.

Agree with everything except the point on the recruiting. You seem to acknowledge recruiting is a problem but it deserves more of attention than you seem to want to give it. Its not so much about our recruiting compared to years past that is a problem but how much our competition has improved in recruited while we have stayed about the same. You said last year we had more 4 stars than ever. I'll concede that because I don't research back that far. However we signed 30 players last class. It was one of the largest classes in the country. Wideman and Sawyer (2 4 stars right there) should not have counted toward that class because it was their second time but they did. So even with the most 4 stars we have ever had, one of the largest classes in the country,(largest in the SEC), and 2 guys counting for the second time; we STILL had only the 8th ranked class in the SEC. So yes, you look at these ranking and say, hey, it looks like we are doing pretty okay, but not quite. We are slipping. We are getting recruits on the fact that we play in the SEC and we have needs. We are not getting enough of the QUALITY of player we need. We are getting the kind: 1. That have scholarships for better teams, that don't want to wait on the bench. 2. Have a pretty good rating but other teams are passing on them. 3. Guys no one else really wants but they showed up for camp and the coaches like what they saw that day. Also you can't just give credit for recruiting all the good players we've gotten without mentioning the high percentage of busts we have had.

But I DO agree that recruiting it doesn't justify being as bad as we are if our coaching and player development were any good. We have been relatively good on offense. We are having a down year this year in that department. Defensive Coaching has been atrocious obviously and I see that as our number 1 problem. Strength and Conditioning has been awful as well. Recruiting has been so-so but it has been getting worse and that looks to be trend. Because the fact of the matter is, it doesn't much matter WHY you lose, It doesn't matter WHY the team looks terrible on the field. If you lose a lot of games, and you consistently look bad and attempt after attempt of trying to fix the problems fails and new problems sprout up, recruits are going to be turned off by your team.

Then you throw in the fact that Steve Spurrier is in his 11th year at South Carolia. He is 70 years old, he said he thought about retiring last year, all these coaches recruiting against us and the media, and social media keep reminding these kids about this over and over. It really looks like he is not going to be around as soon as next year. It looks like that could be absolutely true to everyone. Because let's face it, Spurrier hasn't done a lot of losing in his life. He has a low tolerance for losing and he didn't come here to do that. If he starts to be a consistent loser why would he want to keep doing it? I mean, the guy has a low tolerance for quitting too, but there is only so much losing he is going to be able to take. He's a Heisman winner. Hes won a lot of championships when he was younger. He is ultra-competitive even on the golf course. If he can't win anymore the way he used to, it's going to be a clear sign for him walk away. And everyone pretty knows this and is seeing this about to happen as long as we are bad.

So to sum up I think the biggest problems the last few years to present have been: 1. Defensive coaching. 2. Strength and conditioning. 3. recruiting. The first two are things that can still be fixed although, it seems like they are having a hell of a time for the last 2 years of actually fixing it. 3. At this point I say, the only thing that can be done about it is 1. Actually fix the problems and actually start winning a bunch of games (looks bleak because even if we fix our issues most of our opponents still have better players and getting stronger and quicker is difficult and takes a lot of time, and we have been trying to get the players to play with good fundamentals and have not had hardly any success after a good long while.) 2. Adopt a completely new aggressive recruiting strategy similar to what other top teams and up and coming teams are doing. Not settling for guys just because they showed up to the camp and looked pretty good. You need to get the studs to show up to camps. (Not sure how good our current staff would be at this. I don't they have the right kind of personality otherwise we'd all ready be recruiting that way.) Either way, it one or both of the scenarios don't happen right now our recruiting is just going to continue to get worse which mean our team will continue to get worse, because no matter how good our head coach is, he can't get on the field and make plays for these guys. If they don't start making plays, winning some games, and looking like pretty good football team now. Spurrier won't be able to get the talent to do so later. We'll have to get someone else in here to crank up the recruiting efforts to a very high level and hope coaching is good as well. Than maybe we can start to build a little momentum every year so that we can get back to where we want to be.

1st, I think it does matter WHY you are losing. If you want to fix the problem, you must first know what the problem is.

2nd, there have been some busts for sure but every single team has them almost every year. Fact is, he's not as bad a recruiter as some suspect. He's just getting older and other teams are using that to their advantage and against us.. It has affected us..

3rd, I think most fans that say they know what the problem is, have absolutely no idea what the real problem(s) is/are.. They see a poor performance and start to speculate as to what the problems are. Strength and Conditioning is usually fairly quick to throw under the bus.. I've seen that one at both USC and Clemson in the last few years.. Then Coaches, recruiting, fan base, etc. Fact is, we aren't part of the administration, BOD, or staff so our knowledge is fairly limited in that respect. But I won't try and stop the speculation. Hell, I do it as well.

4th, when Whammy had players, he had a pretty damn good defense. Bringing in Hoke didn't change our player personnel. We tried by going juco and loading up but we've either missed on some or some are still growing up.. We still have no rush..

Lastly, sunshine Pumpers and venom spewers alike, can all see that something is happening for sure and I hope they can right the ship.. Again, I think it is more player personnel related based on all the things I mentioned earlier (injury, misses, attrition, and early departures for NFL)..

I agree we need to do something different in recruiting to get the players. You need to get good ingredients to make a good meal. So, here is my attempt at speculation.. Recruiting is more our problem than anything..

1st, I think it does matter WHY you are losing. If you want to fix the problem, you must first know what the problem is.

2nd, there have been some busts for sure but every single team has them almost every year. Fact is, he's not as bad a recruiter as some suspect. He's just getting older and other teams are using that to their advantage and against us.. It has affected us..

3rd, I think most fans that say they know what the problem is, have absolutely no idea what the real problem(s) is/are.. They see a poor performance and start to speculate as to what the problems are. Strength and Conditioning is usually fairly quick to throw under the bus.. I've seen that one at both USC and Clemson in the last few years.. Then Coaches, recruiting, fan base, etc. Fact is, we aren't part of the administration, BOD, or staff so our knowledge is fairly limited in that respect. But I won't try and stop the speculation. Hell, I do it as well.

4th, when Whammy had players, he had a pretty damn good defense. Bringing in Hoke didn't change our player personnel. We tried by going juco and loading up but we've either missed on some or some are still growing up.. We still have no rush..

Lastly, sunshine Pumpers and venom spewers alike, can all see that something is happening for sure and I hope they can right the ship.. Again, I think it is more player personnel related based on all the things I mentioned earlier (injury, misses, attrition, and early departures for NFL)..

I agree we need to do something different in recruiting to get the players. You need to get good ingredients to make a good meal. So, here is my attempt at speculation.. Recruiting is more our problem than anything..

I agree and Spurrier made his son recruiting coordinator. I do agree that is a major issue. Flame if you want but he does not come across as likable to me. I dont know him but am just going by what I observe.

From an outsider perspective; Spurrier is still a great game day and game prep coach, always has been. Also, he's not a great recruiter, never has been. At Florida, he had the pick of the litter in a state that is loaded with talent and has a huge population so he really didn't have to focus on recruiting too hard. He simply had to select which of the players that wanted to come to Florida he wanted. Once he had them at UF, he could plug them in and keep the ball rolling.

The state of SC has a small population and really does not produce a large number of blue chip high school players so the colleges have to go outside the state and recruit Georgia, North Carolina and Florida heavily. Clemson has somehow managed to develop a pretty good pipeline into Florida. South Carolina gets some players from Georgia, but not the really elite prospects. It was an anomaly that two #1 prospects in the country came from SC within a couple of years of each other. It was a further anomaly that both chose to go to South Carolina. Combine that with the fact that Spurrier had very good talent at some other positions and that produced three 11 win seasons in a row. Even with Spurrier as head coach; until the 11 win seasons, South Carolina was still a 7 or 8 win per season program. I think a lot of South Carolina fans have forgotten this.

Now that the great talent has moved on and Spurrier's weakness as a recruiter and Spurrier's age and pending retirement (whether it's one year from now or four years from now, it's coming and it's an issue) being used by other schools recruiting the same players, the talent level is dropping fairly quickly. Spurrier still is a great game day coach, I'm not sure he has the passion and energy to continue to be a great overall big time college head coach.

Reactions: parhley
From an outsider perspective; Spurrier is still a great game day and game prep coach, always has been. Also, he's not a great recruiter, never has been. At Florida, he had the pick of the litter in a state that is loaded with talent and has a huge population so he really didn't have to focus on recruiting too hard. He simply had to select which of the players that wanted to come to Florida he wanted. Once he had them at UF, he could plug them in and keep the ball rolling.

The state of SC has a small population and really does not produce a large number of blue chip high school players so the colleges have to go outside the state and recruit Georgia, North Carolina and Florida heavily. Clemson has somehow managed to develop a pretty good pipeline into Florida. South Carolina gets some players from Georgia, but not the really elite prospects. It was an anomaly that two #1 prospects in the country came from SC within a couple of years of each other. It was a further anomaly that both chose to go to South Carolina. Combine that with the fact that Spurrier had very good talent at some other positions and that produced three 11 win seasons in a row. Even with Spurrier as head coach; until the 11 win seasons, South Carolina was still a 7 or 8 win per season program. I think a lot of South Carolina fans have forgotten this.

Now that the great talent has moved on and Spurrier's weakness as a recruiter and Spurrier's age and pending retirement (whether it's one year from now or four years from now, it's coming and it's an issue) being used by other schools recruiting the same players, the talent level is dropping fairly quickly. Spurrier still is a great game day coach, I'm not sure he has the passion and energy to continue to be a great overall big time college head coach.

Fair perspective.. I tend to agree with most of what was said..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT