ADVERTISEMENT

Is this targeting?

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
Is this targeting?

ezgif-4-ee6da3618a.gif

Of course it is, and it was called. Freshman safety will have to sit the first half of next week.

Herman gets his signature win. 37-14 over Southern Cal. A lot of posting here about his loss to Maryland. They've bounced back and we will see how they do in conference play.

Is this targeting?

ezgif-4-ee6da3618a.gif

Of course it is, and it was called. Freshman safety will have to sit the first half of next week.

Herman gets his signature win. 37-14 over Southern Cal. A lot of posting here about his loss to Maryland. They've bounced back and we will see how they do in conference play.
A lot of people all over the country made fun of the Maryland loss. They got in the top 25 in name only. So let's see how they do the rest of the season.

Is this targeting?

ezgif-4-ee6da3618a.gif

I couldn't tell if it was helmet-to-helmet. Isn't that a component of targeting? The ball carrier wasn't defenseless, in my opinion.

Perhaps it meets the definition of targeting, but that is the kind of play football fans have enjoyed watching for decades and has been a major component of the game. The play is not a "dirty" play and doesn't warrant a suspension.

Is this targeting?

ezgif-4-ee6da3618a.gif

Beating this Southern Cal (Who was that they lost to again?) team doesn't qualify as a signature win, but I guess if you're desperate enough...

Perhaps it meets the definition of targeting, but that is the kind of play football fans have enjoyed watching for decades and has been a major component of the game. The play is not a "dirty" play and doesn't warrant a suspension.
Smashing your head into someone and risking permanent brain damage for both people for your entertainment shouldn't warrant punishment.... wow.

In the interview later he said his first contact was with his arms and that was his intention, but they were going so fast in opposite directions he just couldn't stop the helmets from hitting, especially since the wr ducked his head a bit. Nobody at Texas is griping about the penalty, it is just illustrative of how hard it is to comply with that rule when going full speed.

noth
Is this targeting?

ezgif-4-ee6da3618a.gif

no more than r win over the prophylactics n '83

In the interview later he said his first contact was with his arms and that was his intention, but they were going so fast in opposite directions he just couldn't stop the helmets from hitting, especially since the wr ducked his head a bit. Nobody at Texas is griping about the penalty, it is just illustrative of how hard it is to comply with that rule when going full speed.
Do away with helmets and cranial contact will decrease dramatically.

Putting all your weight on a player that is going to the ground is now a point of reference. Although supposed to be focused on QBs, the refs are protecting their jobs and calling everything since it can now be reversed.

No. It's a great tackle. He stopped him didn't he? I'm telling you in 10 years we'll be watching flag football as the wussification of football continues. It's pathetic.

There would definitely be less concussions and more broken noses. We know this because they wore leather helmets back in the day. We have the data.

Putting all your weight on a player that is going to the ground is now a point of reference. Although supposed to be focused on QBs, the refs are protecting their jobs and calling everything since it can now be reversed.
I saw a highlight clip of such a call against Clay Mathews on a supposed roughing the passer foul on the Minnesota QB yesterday. It was a horrible bogus call, and it likely impacted the outcome of the game since Minnesota was about to have to give up the football. Sometimes football should be allowed to be football.

There would definitely be less concussions and more broken noses. We know this because they wore leather helmets back in the day. We have the data.
They could probably come with a face-gear that isn't a helmet. Helmets are the problem. How many concussions do they get in rugby compared to American football?

My dad played in the late 30s with leather helmets and no face masks. He broke his nose three times.

I saw a highlight clip of such a call against Clay Mathews on a supposed roughing the passer foul on the Minnesota QB yesterday. It was a horrible bogus call, and it likely impacted the outcome of the game since Minnesota was about to have to give up the football. Sometimes football should be allowed to be football.
I agree 100%, that was terrible. His tackling technique was perfect based on what is expected currently. That made all the commentators mad as well. All they could say is they hope the refs get this figured out soon.

Reactions: king ward
I agree 100%, that was terrible. His tackling technique was perfect based on what is expected currently. That made all the commentators mad as well. All they could say is they hope the refs get this figured out soon.
Not flagrant and not late - a good, clean football play.

I want to see targeting called on the offensive player when he lowers his head and initiates the contact

There was a DB in a college game this weekend that was going in to tackle at an angle, if the RB would have maintained the same running angle it would have been a perfect tackle. The RB lowered his pad level and turned towards the DB last second which caused a helmet to helmet and the DB got ejected. That was 100% the RBs fault but normal running style for RBs to get those couple extra yards for first downs. That DB was robbed of playing time and it should have been flagged on the RB. It made me frustrated and it was a team I could care less about. It was the crappy flag.

There was a DB in a college game this weekend that was going in to tackle at an angle, if the RB would have maintained the same running angle it would have been a perfect tackle. The RB lowered his pad level and turned towards the DB last second which caused a helmet to helmet and the DB got ejected. That was 100% the RBs fault but normal running style for RBs to get those couple extra yards for first downs. That DB was robbed of playing time and it should have been flagged on the RB. It made me frustrated and it was a team I could care less about. It was the crappy flag.

It is one thing to penalize, but this extending a ban to some other game irks me. It will change behavior in unimportant games prior to big games. Just let the guy go, we are up by three TDs on a weak oppponent, I don't want to miss any of next week's game. Your example is a good one. A DB can not always keep from being penalized under this rule.

Reactions: Triton20x
It is one thing to penalize, but this extending a ban to some other game irks me. It will change behavior in unimportant games prior to big games. Just let the guy go, we are up by three TDs on a weak oppponent, I don't want to miss any of next week's game. Your example is a good one. A DB can not always keep from being penalized under this rule.

I like Muschamp's idea to hand out yellow and red cards, like soccer. Save the red card for flagrant targeting. If a player accumulates 2 yellow cards, he's ejected.

I like Muschamp's idea to hand out yellow and red cards, like soccer. Save the red card for flagrant targeting. If a player accumulates 2 yellow cards, he's ejected.
I hadn't heard that but I like that idea. Maybe even do like a penalty box where the yellow card player has to sit for 10min of playing time? Either way these ejections where the tackler has his pad level where he should be but the ball handler lowers his helmet at last second is really frustrating.

I could see where offensive players start doing it on purpose just to get good defensive players ejected to give them an offensive edge!

I hadn't heard that but I like that idea. Maybe even do like a penalty box where the yellow card player has to sit for 10min of playing time? Either way these ejections where the tackler has his pad level where he should be but the ball handler lowers his helmet at last second is really frustrating.

I could see where offensive players start doing it on purpose just to get good defensive players ejected to give them an offensive edge!
The defender should always have his head up. That is proper tackling technique and he will not be called for a penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT