ADVERTISEMENT

It’s one game!!

cockofdawn

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2009
Crosswinds South Carolina
I am definitely not one to see rainbows and unicorns, but this was one game!! A really bad effort by every player except maybe Leggette and Rattler. But just think back, a dropped (perfectly thrown pass) on 4 th down after the insides kick, and they go down and take the lead in the third. Then it all went to HELL!! Their QB is really good. He was on target all night. Let’s hope they regroup and start playing football. Until a couple more losses I will withhold judgement

Reactions: uscdoc
I am definitely not one to see rainbows and unicorns, but this was one game!! A really bad effort by every player except maybe Leggette and Rattler. But just think back, a dropped (perfectly thrown pass) on 4 th down after the insides kick, and they go down and take the lead in the third. Then it all went to HELL!! Their QB is really good. He was on target all night. Let’s hope they regroup and start playing football. Until a couple more losses I will withhold judgement
We have sucked in the first game before and turned out to eventually be OK... so there's that I suppose. We should salesmen.

I agree with you in principle. Teams have lost the first game and still done very well. One game does not determine a season. My concern though is how the schedule starts. A team loses confidence and motivation with every loss, and if they start piling up, it's going to snowball and the team won't be able to handle the adversity in later games.

Our schedule will start 1-1. Then we go to UGA. That's 1-2, with the only win being against Furman, so it won't help confidence and doesn't really count for anything. Hosting Mississippi State is a dangerous game (last year, they only lost to LSU, Bama, UGA, and Kentucky, and played all but UGA tough). Rogers looks as good as ever. If their confidence is rattled or motivation is down, as it appeared to be part of last night, that could get ugly. Then you go into Knoxville 1-3, and I think UT is a dark horse for the East this year, given UGA having Bobo + having to go there.

After that, the schedule gets a lot easier. I think South Carolina is better than Mizzou, Jacksonville State, and Vandy and can beat Florida and Kentucky if they play well and have confidence. I think A&M is a likely loss (especially there) and Clemson is a pretty sure thing (if they've fixed the offense at all).

I had our ceiling at 8-4, with losses to UGA, Tennessee, A&M, and Clemson. But that depended on building confidence and heading into Tennessee 3-1. We could still go bowling with a win against Mississippi State. But I'm thinking more and more that we're going to exit the tough part of the season 1-4, and I've seen too many times where teams lose all motivation at that point. In that situation, I'm not sure I see enough wins to go bowling.

The problem is UNC isn't that good. We have 7-8 teams on our schedule better than them.

One game, no doubt. The OL issues simply are not going to go away any time soon, it will be a problem all year, particularly against better Defensive units. UNC simply doesn’t have a great defense, they have been a team that has been easy to run on for several years now.

Lack of run production last night was not because of the UNC defense, it was serviceable at best. There simply isn’t a push from the OL and there isn’t a back that can make it happen on their own. The coaches are going to have to rethink strategy giving these glaring issues. They can help scheme a little to five them time.

They should be able to regroup for Furman and build some momentum. Dawgs could be, should be a tough one, but man they looked very pedestrian early on against a not good UT-Martin team. Could see that game being much closer than anyone thinks. Show up and fight and UGA may be asleep thinking they can just show up.

Odds are much greater than not that this will be a disappointing season but you never know.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Oh no doubt about it. The running results are staggering, however I am hoping this lights a fire under their arses. I was impressed with Rattler, he stayed positive and looked good.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Not the opening that everyone wanted or expected, but it is what it is. I think the biggest issue is that people wanted to build off where we ended last season. Well, change often results in a setback. Loggains deserves a chance to get it going on his own terms with the support of the fanbase. Expect a long rebuild. If it happens faster, kudos to Loggains, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: cockofdawn
If, if, if ……….

It is one game. However, it's tough losing your first game to an ACC opponent knowing that you're heading to the 2-time defending National Champion's homefield in two weeks. Likely starting the first part of the season at 1-2 is a bitter pill.

I hate losing any ACC team even hated losing to ND but it takes time. I am still onboard the rest of you can pull for the e taters is you like. This team will either get better or worse!! My life doesn’t depend on it. So haters, hate, I am still onboard!!

The problem is UNC isn't that good. We have 7-8 teams on our schedule better than them.
Based on the performance of this year's UNC team, we have to admit that UNC is a good football team. Last year was last year. Nine sacks, umpteen tackles behind the line, a Heisman QB, and a 100 yd. rusher. UNC could go 9-3 with our schedule.

Based on the performance of this year's UNC team, we have to admit that UNC is a good football team. Last year was last year. Nine sacks, umpteen tackles behind the line, a Heisman QB, and a 100 yd. rusher. UNC could go 9-3 with our schedule.

What if we are just really bad?

You're making a lot out of one performance. One in which I would argue Drake Maye didn't even look good during the game.

Reactions: ky-usc2020
What if we are just really bad?

You're making a lot out of one performance. One in which I would argue Drake Maye didn't even look good during the game.
You must have seen a different game. So many time son Third and Long Maye rifled throws to his receivers to move the Chains..
I think Maye is actually GOOD.

Too much rationalization and projection, Partner.

Probable is five or six. Seven would be monumental. I'll add this proviso: other than Georgia and maybe a couple of other teams that could emerge, the lower tier of the SEC truly sucks right now. Problem is, until we prove different, we could very well be part of the suckage.

Just sucks because we may have the second best QB in the country right now.

Just sucks because we may have the second best QB in the country right now.
And here, within, is where the problem lies. You MUST HAVE MORE THAN JUST A QB. A coach would be nice, an AD certainly wouldn't hurt. Perhaps a competent OC with a strong QB coach ... ya know just for emotional support issues like ... going to college while getting laid by every bimbo looking for a meal ticket??? LIFE IS TOUGH FOR THE COLLEGE ATHLETE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT