ADVERTISEMENT

It drives me nuts...

Scuba_do

Sep 8, 2010
Richmond, Va
that the Tarholes are becoming relevant again in football recruiting. What can they possibly be putting in their Koolaid?

Those hires bring buzz and momentum to programs. It won’t last long so they’ll have to win quick. Right now, we don’t have any momentum. Our recruiting success will come from hard work and being able to attract players with facilities, opportunities, etc...

That being said, we need something to build off of like a win against a team with a pulse. Winning a bowl game would be nice too. Walking off the field a winner always gives a little boost of positivity in recruiting.

If it weren’t for the Football Operations Building opening up, this would be as bleak as I can remember in many years for us.

He won the national championship at Texas. He was on a nice roll at UNC when he left. Anyone who underestimates him should not.

His age is by far his biggest issue. He has a couple of years to get guys, but after that other coaches should be able to effectively use that against him.

But he knows how to recruit, that’s for sure.

I understand. But he stunk it up at Texas didn't he. If someone can't win at Texas, can they win at UNC?

If you call this stinking it up then I will have some of that also:

1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1st (South) L Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1st (South) W Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South)^ W Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2nd (South) W Rose† 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1st (South) W Rose† 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 10–3 5–3 2nd (South) W Holiday 10 10
2008 Texas 12–1 7–1 T–1st (South)^ W Fiesta† 3 4
2009 Texas 13–1 8–0 1st (South) L BCS NCG† 2 2
2010 Texas 5–7 2–6 6th (South)
2011 Texas 8–5 4–5 T–6th W Holiday
2012 Texas 9–4 5–4 T–3rd W Alamo 18 19
2013 Texas 8–5 7–2 T–2nd L Alamo

USCALUMNI

If you call this stinking it up then I will have some of that also:

1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1st (South) L Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1st (South) W Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South)^ W Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2nd (South) W Rose† 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1st (South) W Rose† 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 10–3 5–3 2nd (South) W Holiday 10 10
2008 Texas 12–1 7–1 T–1st (South)^ W Fiesta† 3 4
2009 Texas 13–1 8–0 1st (South) L BCS NCG† 2 2
2010 Texas 5–7 2–6 6th (South)
2011 Texas 8–5 4–5 T–6th W Holiday
2012 Texas 9–4 5–4 T–3rd W Alamo 18 19
2013 Texas 8–5 7–2 T–2nd L Alamo

USCALUMNI
Looks like we should have hired him. He was available for awhile ,but I guess our AD didn't quite have the awareness or the connections .

His age is by far his biggest issue. He has a couple of years to get guys, but after that other coaches should be able to effectively use that against him.

In other words, we can expect results similar to what Holtz and Spurrier had at USC. I'd say UNC got a deal.

In other words, we can expect results similar to what Holtz and Spurrier had at USC. I'd say UNC got a deal.

I wouldn’t put Mack Brown in those guy’s category but he should help UNC get more competitive. It’ll be up to the next guy to keep the momentum going.

Reactions: gamecockblack
They were turning it around under Butch Davis, getting really good recruits. However, much of that could be attributed to John Blake, alias Black Santa. John was getting remunerated by agents for steering players (Marvin Austin, for example) to said agents. These players were also gettig money and other perks from the agents, thus the reason for UNC’s FB program being sanctioned and Butch getting fired. (This is interesting because UNC was actually sanctioned pretty hard by NCAA for same football and basketball scandal that is currently “front and center”. This is why those programs whose players have received payment from agents/runners/shoe co. reps, etc., will most certainly be punished as well. If not, UNC will have become the scapegoat in this instance, as it did pay the price.). Then Fedora came along and was doing well until the past 2 seasons when they hit rock-bottom with poor QB play. That appears to have changed w/this year’s team as they have 3 very promising QBs on roster, and a stable of high-power running backs. Drey Bly, Tommy Thigpen (both UNC alums) and others (as well as Brown), are doing wellin early recruiting. UNC cant get any worse than last year, even though they were in every game except Miami last year, and literally blew several games on last-down series in at lest 3 games.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Look at the bright side of things. Compared to what this forum is going to look like, come this time next year, our current situation will probably be considered 'the good ole days'... in 3 sports.

No bowl game, no Big Dance, no AD. We'll probably have enough new openings to have a Job Fair instead of a Coaches Search.

On top of Mack Brown, UNC is a “cool” school too. Chapel Hill is a great town, their brand is strong (albeit mostly because of badketball), huge/wealthy alumni base. Lot of reasons to go play there.

All that said I loathe them and hope they fall on their face.
UNC is a magnet for outstanding HS grads. Look at the mind-blowing number of applicants (look at their SAT scores and other academic credentials) and the related admissions-difficulty rating (especially for out-of-staters). I don’t think UNC has to add extra flavor to its “koolaid”.

UNC is a magnet for outstanding HS grads. Look at the mind-blowing number of applicants (look at their SAT scores and other academic credentials) and the related admissions-difficulty rating (especially for out-of-staters). I don’t think UNC has to add extra flavor to its “koolaid”.

One of the best public schools in the country, bar none. And if you’re an athlete, you can go there and get a very valuable degree without even taking real classes!

I don`t get it either. He wanted to come here and just about everyone laughed at the idea, me included. Hopefully the press up there will act like the press here did. From day one, almost, they were asking Spurrier how long he was going to be here, if he thought about retiring, etc., vs. just letting him coach. His honesty cost us - thanks to you press boys for scaring away some recruits when he answered your questions with honesty instead of coachspeak. Don`t get me wrong - our coaches still dropped the ball on recruiting but the guys always trying to get the first scoop to make a name for themselves did us a disservice.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Unless he shows signs of senility, they won't be any more able to use it then than now. He's already old. But he's also as good a salesman as there is in the business.

One of the best public schools in the country, bar none. And if you’re an athlete, you can go there and get a very valuable degree without even taking real classes!

Beat me too it. Athletes are guaranteed straight A's. No chance whatsoever of being disqualified for grades. When was the last time someone failed out? As far as valuable degrees, I would be very hesitant to hire UNC grads. I won't go into the many useless degrees they have, but I can tell you from experience that I would think twice before hiring a UNC Computer Science / IT grad. Very bad experiences, indeed. There may be some good ones out there, I just never ran into one.

As far as the appeal of Chapel Hill, I just can't see it. Reminds me too much of Clemson. Until the past couple of years, there was zero, nada, new construction in Chapel Hill. (It's picking up now). Meanwhile, places like Columbia and Raleigh had new construction everywhere. Personally, I don't prefer to attend a school where the buildings haven't changed much since the 1850's. I hated the AC/Heat in Moore during the 80's, but I'd still take that over the crappy window units in most of the dorms in Chapel Hill.

Age nothing. He’s 67, same as Saban. Who’s to say they won’t coach til 80 like Paterno and Diddy? He won a Natty at Texas, played for another. Had them back on the map even though he was probably overshadowed by Nick. He was pretty dominant at times at UNC. He won’t overtake Skippy, but if he can do close to what he did there before, he will be a thorn in his side.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Unless he shows signs of senility, they won't be any more able to use it then than now. He's already old. But he's also as good a salesman as there is in the business.

Yeah but the main thing right now is guys should be able to sign and play for him their entire career. 2-3 years from now coaches will plant that seed in players heads that they will likely finish career with another coach that they won’t choose. That’s the issue I refer to here. Nothing to do with his ability. That was used against Spurrier and Holtz during their tenures here. Funny thing is, with the way things are in football, there aren’t many places where coaches are so secure you can be safe to play for one coach the entire career.

This is why schools usually make sure coaches have 4-5 years remaining on contracts...for recruiting. Maybe ole Mack will say he only plans to coach 2-3 more years soon.

Age nothing. He’s 67, same as Saban. Who’s to say they won’t coach til 80 like Paterno and Diddy? He won a Natty at Texas, played for another. Had them back on the map even though he was probably overshadowed by Nick. He was pretty dominant at times at UNC. He won’t overtake Skippy, but if he can do close to what he did there before, he will be a thorn in his side.

Paterno coached way too long and his teams were very pedestrian at the end of his career. Even most PSU fans will acknowledge he should’ve retired about 10 years earlier. Bobby’s teams were the same at the end...major drop off at the end of his career. Saban built a machine over the past 10 years that’s pretty solid but time will tell what’ll happen there. Taking over a program from the bottom and re-building them at 67 is a lot different than being somewhere, establishing them over time, growing old there and then maintaining the success.

I don’t see Mack Brown having anymore success at UNC than Spurrier had here. They could still be very competitive if he can get guys in early and they play well early. I believe UNC hires Brown to change culture and get them started in the right direction for the next guy as much as they hired him to win there now. Which is why I think they pushed so hard for assistants like Klingsburg with the intention to handing over the program to them when Brown retires. That’s plan was also to help with the negative recruiting as mentioned in post above. It happens...and it is effective.

At 67, you better already have a succession plan in place. Of course it changes year to year, but you better have a plan for when it happens, even if it’s a list of outside guys.

Beat me too it. Athletes are guaranteed straight A's. No chance whatsoever of being disqualified for grades. When was the last time someone failed out? As far as valuable degrees, I would be very hesitant to hire UNC grads. I won't go into the many useless degrees they have, but I can tell you from experience that I would think twice before hiring a UNC Computer Science / IT grad. Very bad experiences, indeed. There may be some good ones out there, I just never ran into one.

As far as the appeal of Chapel Hill, I just can't see it. Reminds me too much of Clemson. Until the past couple of years, there was zero, nada, new construction in Chapel Hill. (It's picking up now). Meanwhile, places like Columbia and Raleigh had new construction everywhere. Personally, I don't prefer to attend a school where the buildings haven't changed much since the 1850's. I hated the AC/Heat in Moore during the 80's, but I'd still take that over the crappy window units in most of the dorms in Chapel Hill.
This guy/gal cant be a USC alum, or at least I hope not. Surely USC doesn’t have such transparently ignorant and embarrassing alumni! More likely poster is trolling.

They have Mack Brown.
hes-right-zvlmp2.jpg

For unfathomable reasons, Mack Brown gets way more credit than he's due.

Chapel Hill is nothing like Clemson.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

A lot of truth in this. UNC gets it's academic reputation from the law and medical programs. Most people I've come across with bachelor's degrees only are highly overrated. They tend to be lazy and entitled. I've had much more success hiring UNCC grads

Yeah but the main thing right now is guys should be able to sign and play for him their entire career. 2-3 years from now coaches will plant that seed in players heads that they will likely finish career with another coach that they won’t choose. That’s the issue I refer to here. Nothing to do with his ability. That was used against Spurrier and Holtz during their tenures here. Funny thing is, with the way things are in football, there aren’t many places where coaches are so secure you can be safe to play for one coach the entire career.

This is why schools usually make sure coaches have 4-5 years remaining on contracts...for recruiting. Maybe ole Mack will say he only plans to coach 2-3 more years soon.
Mack will know when to get out. Until he gets out, he will be a problem for most people.

Reactions: lostcock

UNC’s CS program is tied for (with Duke & Johns Hopkins - pretty good neighborhood) 25th in counrtry. I worked for the NSA, who had most powferful computers in the world. We recruited heavily at UNC. I think you are out of your league.

A lot of truth in this. UNC gets it's academic reputation from the law and medical programs. Most people I've come across with bachelor's degrees only are highly overrated. They tend to be lazy and entitled. I've had much more success hiring UNCC grads
UNC’s CS program is tied for (with Duke & Johns Hopkins - pretty good neighborhood) 25th in counrtry. I worked for the NSA, who had most powferful computers in the world. We recruited heavily at UNC. I think you are out of your league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT