ADVERTISEMENT

It really is incredible what Lane Kiffin has done at Ole Miss

Cocky 45

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2019
Columbia, SC
Ole Miss went from Matt Luke, to being a NY6 borderline playoff team in two years with the hire of Lane Kiffin. They are the 2nd best team in the SEC West. The era of wait 5 years then evaluate coaches is changing, especially in the SEC, either win games or make way for someone who can. We waited with Muschamp and things only got worse, waiting on a losing coach doesn't work.

I am not saying the answer is to hire Lane Kiffin (will never happen now) but I am saying that there are options out there like Hugh Freeze at Liberty where if we opened the checkbook could get it done and no longer have to worry about hiring a great OC because he calls his own plays. He would change the offense in just a few years and we could be where Ole Miss is. There is nothing that Ole Miss has that we don't have.

Reactions: Bri2301
Ole Miss went from Matt Luke, to being a NY6 borderline playoff team in two years with the hire of Lane Kiffin. They are the 2nd best team in the SEC West. The era of wait 5 years then evaluate coaches is changing, especially in the SEC, either win games or make way for someone who can. We waited with Muschamp and things only got worse, waiting on a losing coach doesn't work.

I am not saying the answer is to hire Lane Kiffin (will never happen now) but I am saying that there are options out there like Hugh Freeze at Liberty where if we opened the checkbook could get it done and no longer have to worry about hiring a great OC because he calls his own plays. He would change the offense in just a few years and we could be where Ole Miss is. There is nothing that Ole Miss has that we don't have.
How many years should coaches get? Two or three? If so, schools better rethink how they write contracts. For every Lane Kiffin success story, there are a lot "home run" hires that fail to meet expectations.

How many years should coaches get? Two or three? If so, schools better rethink how they write contracts. For every Lane Kiffin success story, there are a lot "home run" hires that fail to meet expectations.

Kiffin was a no brainer hire. He had been through the ringer and I felt like he had grown up a lot. He was ready to prove himself again. Of course we were scared of his baggage so here we sit. And kudos to Ole Miss.

Never really got the fuss over Hugh Freeze. His overall record at Ole Miss wasn't super spectacular and he cheated like the devil to get it.
people were saying the same thing about Lane Kiffin when he was at FAU, saying all sorts of horrible things and look how that turned out. All I hear is about this so called "baggage" when we are taught to forgive people who ask for it, doesn't change the fact that he is a great offensive coach.

people were saying the same thing about Lane Kiffin when he was at FAU, saying all sorts of horrible things and look how that turned out. All I hear is about this so called "baggage" when we are taught to forgive people who ask for it, doesn't change the fact that he is a great offensive coach.

I didn't say anything about baggage.

He was 39-25 (19-21). What's so great about that? That he cheated like crazy to get that record is concerning b/c you have to ask, how much worse would the record have been if he hadn't cheated?

Lane may be getting an offer sooner than most people think.
(Doesn't necessarily mean that he leaves, but the offer may soon be put out there)
I can only say this not a mere opinion on my part. Stay Tuned.

True.

And all i have now is memory, fwiw. (Haven't bothered to go look it up) I seem to recall ole miss being bad before Freeze, and he improved them greatly in a short time. Even beat Bama once or twice?

Lane may be getting an offer sooner than most people think.
(Doesn't necessarily mean that he leaves, but the offer may soon be put out there)
I can only say this not a mere opinion on my part. Stay Tuned.
would rather take that chance of having the coach leave after winning seasons than keeping a losing or mediocre coach that wants to be here for life.

Curious : from the SOS years till now , recruiting budget for football versus all sports % of revenue . Bet SOS's budgets were higher than now .

Reactions: caughtlookin
True.

And all i have now is memory, fwiw. (Haven't bothered to go look it up) I seem to recall ole miss being bad before Freeze, and he improved them greatly in a short time. Even beat Bama once or twice?

Yes, any article you read touting Freeze's chops as a head coach invariably mention the fact that he beat Bama a couple times as the primary evidence of his coaching ability. That's it. Yes, they did get better, but then got worse again. His last year they were 5-7/2-6.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yes, any article you read touting Freeze's chops as a head coach invariably mention the fact that he beat Bama a couple times as the primary evidence of his coaching ability. That's it. Yes, they did get better, but then got worse again. His last year they were 5-7/2-6.

Recruiting scandal was hitting that last year, right? (Which takes us back to the baggage thing)

He was 39-25 (19-21). What's so great about that? That he cheated like crazy to get that record is concerning b/c you have to ask, how much worse would the record have been if he hadn't cheated?

. . . . . as bad as ours for the past 4-5 years or so?

Last edited:
I am not knowledgeable enough about Ole Miss to be certain but I feel pretty sure he has a lot more talent to work with than Beamer. the most important player is QB, we have nobody close to the talent of theirs. When I look at the play makers for other teams it's easy to see the difference between us and them. Josh Vann is the only WR that could possibly start for a different team.

Pittman's turnaround is more impressive. Pittman inherited a team that hadn't won a SEC game in 2 years and was losing to some bad group of 5 teams. He is 7-3 now and lost by 1 point to Ole Miss this year and beat the Rebs last year. Had they converted that 2 point conversion then Pittman is in the exact spot Lane is now

Lane inherited a stud QB and talent good enough to do what he is doing

But, of course, he'd been cheating like crazy all along. All we know about Freeze in the SEC is that he can cheat his way to a mediocre record and score a couple big wins.

Oh he had been. I think he might have been a little better than mediocre though. One year was a top ten finish, and he did it on that side of the league. (This goes back to coaches who take over bad programs and their first year or years lowers their overall winning percentage)

But yeah, the big question is if he could do it without the rampant cheating. And prostitutes.

But it looks like he's improving liberty now.

After players pretty much getting paid now, I don't think we should worry too much about cheating. This was in discussion last year and we should have went after Freeze. He seems to be doing oretty well at Liberty.

I am not knowledgeable enough about Ole Miss to be certain but I feel pretty sure he has a lot more talent to work with than Beamer. the most important player is QB, we have nobody close to the talent of theirs. When I look at the play makers for other teams it's easy to see the difference between us and them. Josh Vann is the only WR that could possibly start for a different team.
I agree about the QB position. Our team talent is 22 and Ole Miss is 27. So not a huge difference other than QB.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Reactions: Brace1

Kiffin finished 2nd in the East in his only year at Tennessee and won 2 conference championships at Florida Atlantic. Not sure why he got fired in the middle of his 4th season at Southern Cal. He did have a Top 10 team there in his 2nd year. The fact is that Kiffin is a proven winner. So, I'm not surprised at his success. Wish we had him. But, we are stuck with Beamer for awhile. Hope the light bulb turns on upstairs for Shane.

The sad part of it all is that if our administration had any urgency to win, they would have fired Will at the end of the 19 season when it was more than warranted, and possibly had a shot at either Kiffin, or Leach. But no, we piddled around for another year over 3-4 million and ran the program further in the ground. Probably lost more in that period than what it would have cost to pay Will off. Then we were left with the only real candidates being non power 5 type guys, and the one that got the job couldn't even ascend to a coordinator role when working for his own daddy. They say "it just means more" in the SEC. That doesn't apply in Columbia.

Reactions: F-86F and Brace1
Lane Kiffin is a good football coach and I saw that before he went to Tennessee. People on this forum and some other sites dogged me for my opinion of him. but I knew my eyes wasn’t fooling me the guy is sharp, and he pays attention to every aspect of the game. It doesn’t take long for guys like him to win.

Hasn't hurt Kiffen that he inherited a Heisman caliber QB.
Or did he coach up him? I watched the ole miss vs tenn game and I think they were without their top 3 WR, tight end and one offensive linemen. But we’re still moving the ball at will.

Reactions: Brace1
Or did he coach up him? I watched the ole miss vs tenn game and I think they were without their top 3 WR, tight end and one offensive linemen. But we’re still moving the ball at will.
Lane has probably developed Corral, but the kid had offers from about everyone.

🤔👍

After 3 years, you pretty much know what you have with a coach. With the portal, you can now make major changes in just a year or two. If there's not a definite positive trajectory, it's time to cut bait. With social media and every game being in TV, you're not fooling anyone if you're not any good.

As for contracts, it's past time to reevaluate how their written. Sign coaches to four or five years for recruiting purposes. But make the buyouts after Year 3 miniscule. Let the coach earn it if they want to make more after that.

Or that he has an advantage in the Arch Manning sweepstakes!

This. Wait until Corral is gone, unless they are lucky enough to pick up Arch Manning.
Wherever Lane Kiffin ends up, he's going to have quality QBs and skill players lining up to play for him. He might not land Manning, but his system is the fun, high-flying type that good offensive recruits want to play in.

After year four of Muschamp, I wanted Lane, me and a couple of other posters made it known on this board at that time. That ship has sailed, no chance of getting him now.

Reactions: heavycock
After year four of Muschamp, I wanted Lane, me and a couple of other posters made it known on this board at that time. That ship has sailed, no chance of getting him now.
Lane would have been a good choice. I liked Freeze. Kids like playing in wide open offenses, especially skill players. All that baggage talk is for the birds. If you want to win, do what it takes to get there. Others have proved it works without much penalty.

Reactions: SCReb24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT