ADVERTISEMENT

It's incomprehensible that SC would go with Beamer over Napier.

gamecock stock

Jul 14, 2000
Napier has and is winning big as a Head Coach. He has taken a less talented mid-major ULL team and beaten a nationally-ranked Power 5 Iowa State team coached by highly regarded Matt Campbell, on the road. According to TOS recruiting rankings, he inherited players whose team Sun Belt Conference (SBC) rankings were 7th, 8th, 4th and 4th. Thus, he inherited players at ULL who are average Sun Belt players. Yet, Napier has won his division 2 years in a row and is on his way to winning his 3rd straight division, with a chance to win his conference. Napier is obviously a hell of a good game day coach. And Napier has a reputation of being a super recruiter. In fact, his last 2 recruiting classes were ranked at TOS number ONE in the SBC. And against his in-state rival, he has beaten them every year. What's there not to like?

Beamer, on the other hand, has never even been a Coordinator, much less Head Coach. What in the hell has Shane Beamer ever done to merit a Head Coaching job, as his first Head Coaching job, in the toughest conference in the country? I get the fact that he is Frank Beamer's boy. But, I would ask how has Skip Holtz' career compared to Lou's? How has Tommy and Terry Bowden's careers compared to Bobby's? How has brothers Mark and Mike Stoops coaching careers compared to brother Bob's?

If Shane Beamer eventually ends up getting the job over Billy Napier, all I can say is that I don't get it. But, we are, after all, the school that hired Will Muschamp after he failed miserably at Florida. So, maybe there is truth to the adage "you can't fix stupid".

Last edited:
money, this could be a possibility. Ray didn't do us any favors by allowing Will's buy out of millions.

How do you know that they aren't going after Napier?

How do we know that Napier is or isn't their first choice?
How do we know that Napier wants to come to SC?

I agree that he should be given first choice for sure. I would be ecstatic!! But just like last hire. You have to have a plan B,C, and D just in case the person you are wishing for says no. Hopefully this time it will work out better, but sometimes you have no idea until several years after the fact...

Bashing Beamer, or any other possible candidate does not good.

How do you know that they aren't going after Napier?

How do we know that Napier is or isn't their first choice?
How do we know that Napier wants to come to SC?

I agree that he should be given first choice for sure. I would be ecstatic!! But just like last hire. You have to have a plan B,C, and D just in case the person you are wishing for says no. Hopefully this time it will work out better, but sometimes you have no idea until several years after the fact...

Bashing Beamer, or any other possible candidate does not good.

Completely agree.

Still like the idea of hiring Napier and maybe Beamer gets a shot at the ULa job.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Napier has and is winning big as a Head Coach. He has taken a less talented mid-major ULL team and beaten a nationally-ranked Power 5 Iowa State team coached by highly regarded Matt Campbell, on the road. According to TOS recruiting rankings, he inherited players whose team Sun Belt Conference (SBC) rankings were 7th, 8th, 4th and 4th. Thus, he inherited players at ULL who are average Sun Belt players. Yet, Napier has won his division 2 years in a row and is on his way to winning his 3rd straight division, with a chance to win his conference. Napier is obviously a hell of a good game day coach. And Napier has a reputation of being a super recruiter. In fact, his last 2 recruiting classes were ranked at TOS number ONE in the SBC. And against his in-state rival, he has beaten them every year. What's there not to like?

Beamer, on the other hand, has never even been a Coordinator, much less Head Coach. What in the hell has Shane Beamer ever done to merit a Head Coaching job, as his first Head Coaching job, in the toughest conference in the country? I get the fact that he is Frank Beamer's boy. But, I would ask how has Skip Holtz' career compared to Lou's? How has Tommy and Terry Bowden's careers compared to Bobby's? How has brothers Mark and Mike Stoops coaching careers compared to brother Bob's?

If Shane Beamer eventually ends up getting the job over Billy Napier, all I can say is that I don't get it. But, we are, after all. the school that hired Will Muschamp after he failed miserably at Florida. So, maybe there is truth to the adage "you can't fix stupid".

I absolutely agree that Billy Napier is, head and shoulders, the superior choice.

I think everyone knows and agrees Napier is the most reasonable, safest, most experienced choice. Since we all know Urban Meyer is not moving to SC to coach us- Napier is and has been my top choice!

BUT- Beamer is a total wild card that I would not discount. There is fire with that smoke. He is well respected not just here but in coaching circles from here to the midwest. He has more experience than the nay sayers give him credit for and he is a direct link to the most successful period of FB in our school’ history and was a bigger catalyst of that success than most of us realized at the time! It is not nearly as insane as some of you seem to think it is that he IS being considered for the job.

I like Napier as a candidate, but I lOVE Beamer for what he did here and he is one of the few former coaches of ours that left on good terms for a good reason that everyone understood. I cannot name another HC or assistant coach of ours from the past 20 years that I hold in higher regard except maybe Spurrier himself and he SURE ain’t coming back! LOL

It would blow some minds if we hired him, but what a feel good story if he came back and built us into a winner...

Reactions: David1826

If Shane Beamer eventually ends up getting the job over Billy Napier, all I can say is that I don't get it. But, we are, after all. the school that hired Will Muschamp after he failed miserably at Florida. So, maybe there is truth to the adage "you can't fix stupid".
Totally agree.

Reactions: rogue cock
I agree Napier is more proven than Beamer but I don’t see where Napier has any substantial accomplishments as a Head Coach. He was beaten twice by Eli Drinkwitz in the Sun Belt championship. He beat Miami of Ohio in a bowl game. His best win was against Iowa State which was the first game of this Covid season. I am not convinced this will translate to elevating a bottom tier SEC program. He will not recruit better than Muschamp and out scheming people in the Sun Belt vs SEC are much different. I think he is a poor mans Drinkwitz and I expect we will be looking for another coach in four years.

And I’m sure he isn’t a big Dabo fan after Dabo fired him...just more motivation to beat those upstaters
IDK about animosity. He did work there a total of 7 years in 2 stints. I mean he rose through the ranks and ended up OC at clemson. Then their offense took a dive and the writing was on the wall. That's the biz. It beez like that sometimes. I like the fact he has a long track record as an offensive coach and a QBs coach. Hopefully, he'll be the exact opposite of BOOM!.

And I’m sure he isn’t a big Dabo fan after Dabo fired him...just more motivation to beat those upstaters
I’ll counter that thought with Dabo telling recruits that under Napier Clemson was ranked in the bottom quartile so he fired him then they immediately had significant improvement.

I agree Napier is more proven than Beamer but I don’t see where Napier has any substantial accomplishments as a Head Coach. He was beaten twice by Eli Drinkwitz in the Sun Belt championship. He beat Miami of Ohio in a bowl game. His best win was against Iowa State which was the first game of this Covid season. I am not convinced this will translate to elevating a bottom tier SEC program. He will not recruit better than Muschamp and out scheming people in the Sun Belt vs SEC are much different. I think he is a poor mans Drinkwitz and I expect we will be looking for another coach in four years.

Muschamp had the #48 class in the nation committed this year. Napier has been one of the best recruiters in the nation at Clemson and Bama. Please educate yourself.

So, who do you prefer? (NOTE: I'd be perfectly happy with either Napier, Chadwell, Freeze or Heupel).

Muschamp had the #48 class in the nation committed this year. Napier has been one of the best recruiters in the nation at Clemson and Bama. Please educate yourself.
Muschamp’s SC Rivals class rankings
2020 - 18th
2019 - 19th
2018 - 18th
2017 - 16th
2016 - 16th

Napiers Louisiana Rivals class rankings
2020 - 87th
2019 - 93rd

2020 - 18th
2019 - 19th
2018 - 18th
2017 - 16th
2016 - 16th

2020 - 87th
2019 - 93rd

Notably left out 2021 and Napier's classes as Recruiting Coordinator at Clemson and Bama. You expect him to recruit La-La at the level of even a bottom tier SEC program? If you don't know that Napier is known for being one of the best recruiters in the nation then again - please educate yourself.

Reactions: rogue cock
2020 - 18th
2019 - 19th
2018 - 18th
2017 - 16th
2016 - 16th

2020 - 87th
2019 - 93rd
I don't know why Rivals does not include all the SBC teams in their recruiting rankings, as TOS does. Going by TOS, Napier has had the number one recruiting class in the SBC each of the past 2 years. Have to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Who do you prefer as the next HBC here?

Notably left out 2021 and Napier's classes as Recruiting Coordinator at Clemson and Bama. You expect him to recruit La-La at the level of even a bottom tier SEC program? If you don't know that Napier is known for being one of the best recruiters in the nation then again - please educate yourself.
Napier will not recruit any better here than Muschamp. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and Florida will have better classes every single year. Tennessee will out recruit him most years. I predict he will end up with the 6th to 9th best class in the SEC. Where do you think his classes will end up?

Fickell, Meyer, Stoops, Freeze even Chadwell beat Napier head to head.
I like Freeze and Chadwell, too. Fickle is a defensive guy. We need an offensive guy in this era. Besides, Fickle is a Big 10 guy who wants to stay in the Midwest. No more older guys like Stoops. Even Meyer is borderline there. By the way, Napier beat Freeze last year.

Napier will not recruit any better here than Muschamp. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and Florida will have better classes every single year. Tennessee will out recruit him most years. I predict he will end up with the 6th to 9th best class in the SEC. Where do you think his classes will end up?

I think he will have us winning again...So likely much higher than 6th-9th. We can finish top 25 with losing seasons.

All this proves is that Muschamp gets 80-90ish results from top 25 talent while Napier gets top 25 results from 80-90ish talent.
I was stating this to disprove the poster that stated Napier was going to elevate our recruiting. I do not believe he will.

I want them to end up holding big trophies at the end of the season.

The truth is that nobody can sell ice to Eskimos. You have to sell a product that people want.

Has any one watched a Louisiana game this year. I've seen a couple one that they lost to Coastal Coastal in which Coastal had a much more diversified O and won the game. The second was last weekend where they beat SAla. Louisiana O was methodical and run oriented with the pass thrown in and not much imagination. Looked very much like my talent can beat your talent. I hear Napier has good O but from what I have seen in 2 games it's basic scheme. That's one reason why I think Dabo wanted a change. Im of the opinion an O like Briles operates is the type of scheme and coach that is needed at SC.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I was stating this to disprove the poster that stated Napier was going to elevate our recruiting. I do not believe he will.

When the best teams/recruiting teams in college football say they will miss your recruiting ability, that means something. Read any article on Napier and his time at Clemson, FSU, and Bama. It literally just takes a google search.

I get it. I honestly don't know if Napier would end up pulling down top 25 classes or not. But I don't think his recruiting rankings at Louisiana Lafayette offer us any insight about what kind of classes he would get here. Regardless, you have to do something with the talent you get. Success on the field begets success on the recruiting trail, which begets more success on the field, and so on.

When the best teams/recruiting teams in college football say they will miss your recruiting ability, that means something. Read any article on Napier and his time at Clemson, FSU, and Bama. It literally just takes a google search.
Napier will not recruit better than Muschamp. Muschamp was also known for being a great recruiter. Spurrier is the best recruiter we ever had and he only recruited marginally better than Muschamp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT