ADVERTISEMENT

It's incomprehensible that SC would go with Beamer over Napier.

I get it. I honestly don't know if Napier would end up pulling down top 25 classes or not. But I don't think his recruiting rankings at Louisiana Lafayette offer us any insight about what kind of classes he would get here. Regardless, you have to do something with the talent you get. Success on the field begets success on the recruiting trail, which begets more success on the field, and so on.
I think Napier is able to out scheme most coaches in the Sun Belt expect for Elijah Drinkwitz who Napier has never beat. I do not think he will out scheme most SEC coaches. If you don’t out recruit or out scheme you will not win.

Napier will not recruit better than Muschamp. Muschamp was also known for being a great recruiter. Spurrier is the best recruiter we ever had and he only recruited marginally better than Muschamp.

LMAO...Spurrier was always known for being a lazy recruiter. Even at Florida. No need to continue this conversation.

Reactions: rogue cock
Muschamp’s SC Rivals class rankings
2020 - 18th
2019 - 19th
2018 - 18th
2017 - 16th
2016 - 16th

Napiers Louisiana Rivals class rankings
2020 - 87th
2019 - 93rd
The 3 years before Napier Louisiana wasn't even in the top 100. Yet he has them in the top 25??? Talk about doing more with less.

I’ll counter that thought with Dabo telling recruits that under Napier Clemson was ranked in the bottom quartile so he fired him then they immediately had significant improvement.
That is literally the only red flag for me with Napier. By all acounts he is a smart oerson, great coach, offensive minded coach and an all around good man... but he was fired by Dabo and that is a “gotcha” Dabo has to use on the recruiting trail against Napier if be was our HC.

Go look at Spurrier’s recruiting class rankings. He recruited the highest ranked classes at SC.
Not once his boy was given the recruiting reins. Spurrier was used to help close on the tough ones, someone else did all the heavy lifting, and how well it went depended on who the someone was. When the final good someone left here, recruiting went in the crapper.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Go look at Spurrier’s recruiting class rankings. He recruited the highest ranked classes at SC.
Go look all the way back through the years. It hasn't mattered. I followed some of the newspaper rankings back in the Brad Scott day and even he was finishing in the top 20/25. Hasn't mattered. Scott, Holtz, Spurrier, Muschamp, like recruiting, hate recruiting, we've always recruited at that average. With the new facilities there's absolutely no reason to believe those rankings would drop. I also don't think they will go up without paying recruits. But no one is going to have trouble recruiting here unless they start losing really bad like 6 wins in 2 years bad.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Spurrier had our best recruiting years ever and knew how to use them. That is why we had 3 - 11 win seasons in a row. Get a coach who can out recruit and out scheme if you want to win. If you think any team that is having success in recruiting is clean you are naive.

I like Freeze but a lot of our fans don't because they hold his past against him.
But.....the fans aren't going to do the hiring. Freeze doesn't pass the Caslen test and I'm Ok with that.
Plus there is a chance that Napier might just do better here.

Napier has and is winning big as a Head Coach. He has taken a less talented mid-major ULL team and beaten a nationally-ranked Power 5 Iowa State team coached by highly regarded Matt Campbell, on the road. According to TOS recruiting rankings, he inherited players whose team Sun Belt Conference (SBC) rankings were 7th, 8th, 4th and 4th. Thus, he inherited players at ULL who are average Sun Belt players. Yet, Napier has won his division 2 years in a row and is on his way to winning his 3rd straight division, with a chance to win his conference. Napier is obviously a hell of a good game day coach. And Napier has a reputation of being a super recruiter. In fact, his last 2 recruiting classes were ranked at TOS number ONE in the SBC. And against his in-state rival, he has beaten them every year. What's there not to like?

Beamer, on the other hand, has never even been a Coordinator, much less Head Coach. What in the hell has Shane Beamer ever done to merit a Head Coaching job, as his first Head Coaching job, in the toughest conference in the country? I get the fact that he is Frank Beamer's boy. But, I would ask how has Skip Holtz' career compared to Lou's? How has Tommy and Terry Bowden's careers compared to Bobby's? How has brothers Mark and Mike Stoops coaching careers compared to brother Bob's?

If Shane Beamer eventually ends up getting the job over Billy Napier, all I can say is that I don't get it. But, we are, after all, the school that hired Will Muschamp after he failed miserably at Florida. So, maybe there is truth to the adage "you can't fix stupid".

Chadwell > Napier

Not once his boy was given the recruiting reins. Spurrier was used to help close on the tough ones, someone else did all the heavy lifting, and how well it went depended on who the someone was. When the final good someone left here, recruiting went in the crapper.
That would be EJ, Lawing and Graham.

Reactions: king ward
Has any one watched a Louisiana game this year. I've seen a couple one that they lost to Coastal Coastal in which Coastal had a much more diversified O and won the game. The second was last weekend where they beat SAla. Louisiana O was methodical and run oriented with the pass thrown in and not much imagination. Looked very much like my talent can beat your talent. I hear Napier has good O but from what I have seen in 2 games it's basic scheme. That's one reason why I think Dabo wanted a change. Im of the opinion an O like Briles operates is the type of scheme and coach that is needed at SC.
Exactly. I honestly dont see the hype. He has the best players in the Sunbelt. He won't have that luxury here.

Reactions: cadcock
So after all this " who's loyal and who is not" warfare on Twitter, I suspect, coaching ability or not, Beamer is getting a big wave of support. Only problem is if you think Muschamp was only here because we were the only one to want him, well, Beamer is in the same spot.

The good old boys and Tanner want Beamer because of reasons other than his actual coaching resume, which is thin. Unless Caslen can hold out for an experienced, successful coach he will probably get the job. If he does he will probably win around 7 games a year and will be here forever because that has always been good enough for most of the fans and administration but we will never sniff the playoffs. I may be wrong and hope I am but I have been a Gamecock fan for well over 50 years and I know how we are.

The good old boys and Tanner want Beamer because of reasons other than his actual coaching resume, which is thin. Unless Caslen can hold out for an experienced, successful coach he will probably get the job. If he does he will probably win around 7 games a year and will be here forever because that has always been good enough for most of the fans and administration but we will never sniff the playoffs. I may be wrong and hope I am but I have been a Gamecock fan for well over 50 years and I know how we are.
Tanner want's Beamer? You sure or just conjecture because he meets few of the criteria that Tanner has always required....in fact, he is missing the biggest one.

Tanner want's Beamer? You sure or just conjecture because he meets few of the criteria that Tanner has always required....in fact, he is missing the biggest one.
There are a lot of people in Ray's ear, and probably Caslen's too, lobbying for Beamer. They are arguing that his lack of head coaching or coordinator experience won't matter. He wouldn't be my first choice but we may very well end up with him.

LMAO...Spurrier was always known for being a lazy recruiter. Even at Florida. No need to continue this conversation.
He recruited quite well here though... When Beamer was recruiting coordinator. Oh wait, did I just tout Beamer again... And point out how all of this talk of him never having been a “coordinator” is BS? He was recruiting COORDINATOR at multiple schools, also STs COORDINATOR at multiple schools... and he brought in the best talent we ever had when he was here... but yeah no experience! Crazy to think he would win here- please carry on going after SOS, the best coach we ever had.

Napier will not recruit any better here than Muschamp. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and Florida will have better classes every single year. Tennessee will out recruit him most years. I predict he will end up with the 6th to 9th best class in the SEC. Where do you think his classes will end up?

We need the innovative type of coach that will take his and beat yours, then take yours and beat his. Gotta be able to win with what you got.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
We need the innovative type of coach that will take his and beat yours, then take yours and beat his. Gotta be able to win with what you got.
No one will recruit better than Muschamp did here. Muschamp averaged a top 20 class every year. We going to suddenly start recruiting top 10 because our former players think Beamer is a nice guy? LOL! Only one way to get dramatically better in recruiting overnight and hiring a career position coach isn't it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT