ADVERTISEMENT

I've been anti-Holbrook since 2014. I need someone who is pro-Holbrook to try to convince me....

he isn't a wrecking ball totally destructing Carolina baseball.
The team is still playing.
Get behind them or STHU. There's a time and a place for everything. This is definitely not the time for your drivel. As far as the place, well thank God it's a tiny % of the overall fan base.
I hope the players don't pay much attention to people like you around here.

Get behind them or STHU. There's a time and a place for everything. This is definitely not the time for your drivel. As far as the place, well thank God it's a tiny % of the overall fan base.

No damn kidding. Our team is still playing- let's act like Gamecock fans.

mcqueen-lazy-clap.gif

Reactions: gamecockblack
holbrook will be here at least one more season.....im still not sure how i feel about that

holbrook will be here at least one more season.....im still not sure how i feel about that
He will be here a while, because to remove him means Tanner admits to making a mistake in hiring him, and also giving him a raise.

He couldn't even admit he got scooped during the football coach search, when the whole world knew that's what happened.

He will be here. But I'm not sure we any longer have a great option. The odds on favorite would've been Lee, but he's not available now. If we bring in an O'Connor (as has been mentioned) or anyone else our recruiting suffers. Lee brought good coaching with instate recruiting ties.

he isn't a wrecking ball totally destructing Carolina baseball.
The sad thing is that our current AD hand picked him as the best person for the job, lol... What does that tell you? Tanner felt no national search was needed for one of the top ten jobs in college baseball. Amazing! Dream job for many top head coaches!

The sad thing is that our current AD hand picked him as the best person for the job, lol... What does that tell you? Tanner felt no national search was needed for one of the top ten jobs in college baseball. Amazing! Dream job for many top head coaches!

Maybe hiring C.H. as an assistant with no head coaching experience was a poor decision, but...I don't see that a national search was necessary. Unlike an A.D. picking candidates in a sport in which he has no background, I doubt if anyone had a better finger on the pulse of college baseball at the time than Ray Tanner. I'm sure he knew the qualified H.C.s he could probably get to Carolina. He rolled the dice...time will tell- and maybe soon- if he crapped out!!

Everyone needs to chill out. Before 2010 there were so many years where Tanner underperformed. I will never forget the Smoak, Havens, Darnell, Disher, Crisp back to back to back to back to back Homers at the Super in Athens and we still lost that game and the series. At that time, we were the most talented team in the country and when we lost that series and those guys were gone, I thought that we would never win a championship.

It's baseball folks. 2010 was an example getting hot at the right time and finding Michael Roth in the back of the cupboard. In 2011, we had the same leaders and no pressure.

Keep the faith. If we continue to recruit well, it will come back together.

Reactions: GeorgeMasonCock
gfluvsthecocks, if you can recall, those late-2000s teams with all those bombers had SCHSL AAA level pitching at best. That's why they'd regularly lose games 15-13.

gfluvsthecocks, if you can recall, those late-2000s teams with all those bombers had SCHSL AAA level pitching at best. That's why they'd regularly lose games 15-13.

I agree that the pitching was horrible and cost us those games. But, it was still Tanner's responsibility to get talented pitchers on the roster.

Our expectations are high because of those two championships, and rightfully so. However, a lot of people want to rewrite history when it comes to Coach Tanner. From 2002-2009, we had become an elite team but we still under performed in the post season several times. Thank God we were patient with Ray and let him fully reach his potential.

I think CH is still learning to be a head coach. It's tough to replace a legend. It's also tough to be great at a new job right away. Be patient with the guy. He will figure it out.

Haven't heard from Rod and his "cronies" yet tonight so thought it might be fun to bump this back up front.
Don't know if Coach Holbrook is the guy or not...but I will tell you what...the coaching decision to start Tyler Johnson tonight was a great move...obviously.

I've been pulling as hard for the Cocks as anyone on here & am pleased with the 3 consecutive wins to get us to tomorrow.

In my mind, he is a wrecking ball totally doing a "number" on Carolina Baseball. However, I am going to hold off until after our tournament to determine how much I think he is hurting Carolina Baseball.
In my mind, I'm going to Carolina. Can't you just smell the moonshine?

So if this team makes it to Omaha , Holbrook is a worthy coach and we had a successful season but if this team loses in the regional or super regional Holbrook needs to be fired and can't coach? ............seems legit

So if this team makes it to Omaha , Holbrook is a worthy coach and we had a successful season but if this team loses in the regional or super regional Holbrook needs to be fired and can't coach? ............seems legit
A coach should be evaluated by their entire body of work. For Holbrook, that would be the four seasons he has been head coach.

Last year obviously was bad. Holbrook and his staff did an amazing job of turning a non-NCAA team into a team that has won 40+ games, has been ranked in the top 10, 20 wins in SEC for only 5th time in school history (let that fact settle in), and is hosting regional. Those are indisputable facts.All of that tells me he is the right guy. Have their been in-game mistakes here and there? Sure there have! You are going to get that with anyone who has not been a head coach before. I'm sure Tanner made plenty of mistakes early in his career too. The assistants have made mistakes too.

I think the problem some folks have is undstanding that no matter who you are, you are NOT going to Omaha every year, and success in Omaha doesn't guarantee you will be there every year or 10 years in a row (just ask Texas and LSU about ups and downs.). Chad's biggest problem was that he followed Tanner, who was arguably one of the best HCs in college baseball, who retired at the absolute high point of his career (3 straight national championship appearances). There was no where to go but "down" a little bit. That 2010-12 groups had some very special players that you just don't replace automatically. Sometimes chemistry works out better than talent, and you can't coach chemistry. College baseball is unique with its limited scholarships and is unlike football, (where you can simply stockpile talent with 85 scholarships) in that it allows for more parity.

As noted earllier, several runs in Omaha does not guarantee you will stay there. Cases in point:
2015 CWS Champs - Virginia. LOST AT HOME in 2016 regional.
2015 CWS runner up/2014 CWS Champs Vanderbilt - LOST AT HOME in 2016 regional
2013 CWS Champs UCLA - not in NCAA Tournament this year
Oregon State won the CWS in 2006 and 2007... did not return to CWS until 2013.

Enjoy the ride the team is on right now and hope we can win on Monday (weather permitting). Go Gamecocks!

The motto of some posters is this: When things go bad, it is all Holbrook's fault; but when things go good, it is to the assistants' credit and Holbrook deserves none of the credit.
I am not going to argue with people like that, their mind is made up.

Reactions: gamecockblack
A coach should be evaluated by their entire body of work. For Holbrook, that would be the four seasons he has been head coach.

Cola...I will fully agree with you on this one. It should be, that's the reason I don't understand the dislike of Holbrook. We have missed the tourney once, last year, and there really isn't a reason for us to do that. That being said, we had a good recruiting class, and Holbrook has led a team predicted to finish 3rd or 4th in the SEC East, to the division title, 45 wins, and one win away from a super. Pretty nice jump, IMO, and can't understand any reasoning for belief that the program is in a downward spiral.

Holbrook will bolt the minute the UNC job comes available...can't blame him! No coach is ever going to go to Omaha every year especially when you loose the caliber of players from 2010-2012...That was a very special group of young men! It takes time to build chemistry and talent and have it all come together...Just THINK how LUCKY we were to win the two NATTY"S...Remember Jackies at bat against Okla? It came down to ONE PITCH...How bout the miraculous double plays we turned against Florida? It was our time and we got LUCKY at the right time...Most of you have no clue as to how hard it really is and have forgotten how LUCKY Ray Tanner was to catch every break in the book...

Last year obviously was bad. Holbrook and his staff did an amazing job of turning a non-NCAA team into a team that has won 40+ games, has been ranked in the top 10, 20 wins in SEC for only 5th time in school history (let that fact settle in), and is hosting regional. Those are indisputable facts.All of that tells me he is the right guy. Have their been in-game mistakes here and there? Sure there have! You are going to get that with anyone who has not been a head coach before. I'm sure Tanner made plenty of mistakes early in his career too. The assistants have made mistakes too.

I think the problem some folks have is undstanding that no matter who you are, you are NOT going to Omaha every year, and success in Omaha doesn't guarantee you will be there every year or 10 years in a row (just ask Texas and LSU about ups and downs.). Chad's biggest problem was that he followed Tanner, who was arguably one of the best HCs in college baseball, who retired at the absolute high point of his career (3 straight national championship appearances). There was no where to go but "down" a little bit. That 2010-12 groups had some very special players that you just don't replace automatically. Sometimes chemistry works out better than talent, and you can't coach chemistry. College baseball is unique with its limited scholarships and is unlike football, (where you can simply stockpile talent with 85 scholarships) in that it allows for more parity.

As noted earllier, several runs in Omaha does not guarantee you will stay there. Cases in point:
2015 CWS Champs - Virginia. LOST AT HOME in 2016 regional.
2015 CWS runner up/2014 CWS Champs Vanderbilt - LOST AT HOME in 2016 regional
2013 CWS Champs UCLA - not in NCAA Tournament this year
Oregon State won the CWS in 2006 and 2007... did not return to CWS until 2013.

Enjoy the ride the team is on right now and hope we can win on Monday (weather permitting). Go Gamecocks!
Now there you go with logic and facts you ain't from 'round here is ya?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT