ADVERTISEMENT

Jay isn't "impressed" with Louisville, says Clemson will beat them by double digits

What kind of defense does Louisville have? We all know they can score points on offense but can their defense hold Watson and Gallman to average stats?

Here's a fairly objective quote from a Louisville sportswriter:
Louisville's Offensive Line and Clemson's Defensive Line Are Trending Opposite Ways
I'll start off by saying that the Marshall game is a very small sample-size but it was very worrisome to me because all of the issues we saw last season came back around all at once. Penalties, snap infractions, lazy exterior pass protection, interior linemen being beaten with simple swim moves, and interior linemen being blown off the ball were all issues that popped up in the first half alone against the Herd. While "trending" might not be a fair characterization it definitely could be against what is arguably the best defensive line in the country. Louisville's offensive line absolutely has to start off the game playing well. They improved in the second half against Marshall and looked like they had in the first three games but Clemson is much deeper and their linemen won't be tired and undisciplined like the Herd.

The Tiger defense lost two of the best defensive ends in the country to the draft last year and they've somehow gotten better at making plays behind the line. The defensive tackle spots are absolutely killing it so far for Clemson and they could play a big part in the game Saturday because Clemson has the speed to contain Lamar Jackson on the outside if they only have to rush four guys. Honestly, most teams can do that. We all saw Marshall pull it off early on in the game last week. What Clemson has that most don't is defensive tackles that can actually keep up with Jackson in a small space. Carlos Watkins and Dexter Lawrence won't "run down" Jackson but they can track him down as he starts his scramble. Marshall was the first team to get penetration against Louisville this year and the offense wasn't able to get going early. Louisville absolutely has to find a way to stop this line from getting into the backfield because it changes the way the entire defense can play Lamar.

I think this is pretty much on the money. Clemson's D is as strong, if not stronger than last year. The offense is coming together and playing much more like they are capable of. Does Clemson win, who knows, but I like our chances, especially being a night game, in the Valley and ESPN Gameday.

The "Valley" doesn't mean anything. Troy laughed at the "Valley".

Jay, like so many non athletic broadcasters knows very little about what his eyes showed him if he has watched Louisville this year. The biggest advantage the Cards have over Clemson is Petrino coaching against Dabo. Unless Swinney has the advantage he almost loses every time.
I realize you're a troll, but what does this even mean? Petrino is 0-2 vs. Dabo. Petrino has been a head coach longer than Dabo, and has never been to a national championship game. Petrino is one of the best offensive playcallers in the country, and if that's what he was challenging Dabo to, then Dabo clearly loses. But Dabo doesn't call offensive (or defensive) plays, so what's the comparison?

"Unless Swinney has the advantage he almost loses every time." Grammar notwithstanding, what does that mean?

Reactions: TigersWin66
I realize you're a troll, but what does this even mean? Petrino is 0-2 vs. Dabo. Petrino has been a head coach longer than Dabo, and has never been to a national championship game. Petrino is one of the best offensive playcallers in the country, and if that's what he was challenging Dabo to, then Dabo clearly loses. But Dabo doesn't call offensive (or defensive) plays, so what's the comparison?

"Unless Swinney has the advantage he almost loses every time." Grammar notwithstanding, what does that mean?
You hope Dabo isn't starting to call offensive plays again. There have been a couple of games this year where that could be questioned.

You hope Dabo isn't starting to call offensive plays again. There have been a couple of games this year where that could be questioned.
Why do I hope? Just stop with that. And yes, Clemson doesn't look like anywhere near the same offense as last year.

The "Valley" doesn't mean anything. Troy laughed at the "Valley".
There is a huge difference between a Noon game, not sold out crowd and an ESPN Gameday, night game. The Valley most certainly does mean a lot in this circumstance. This game will set up just like Notre Dame did last year, except with much better weather.

Pre-Morris...when everyone knew Dabo was meddling in the play calling. It's not a strength of his.
Clemson has looked woefully average on offense this year, but as near as I can tell, playcalling isn't the issue, it's execution. We could say the same about USC, but I think Roper has a lot more to prove. If Watson and Clemson's OL play like everyone expected them to going into the year, they'd be putting up gaudy numbers. Neither look anything like they did last year, to me, at least. Wouldn't matter if Dabo, Jeff Scott, Tony Elliott, or Chad Morris were calling the plays. I could call the plays for Clemson and put up 40 points on most teams, IF all 11 players were executing to their respective talent levels. They're not.

You love you some Dabo. You must think about him a lot.

There is a huge difference between a Noon game, not sold out crowd and an ESPN Gameday, night game. The Valley most certainly does mean a lot in this circumstance. This game will set up just like Notre Dame did last year, except with much better weather.
Except ND hadn't been to the valley in decades, Louisville was just there 2 years ago.

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2
What the heck... Louisville by 21. People will be talking about the Clemson "D" after the game... Wait..... I just had a case of deja vu.. Felt like I've heard that before.
Call me whacha wish folks, but I think Clem's son handles Louisville by anywhere from 7 - 10 points.

JMHO. I think sCUm has a damned perfect defense to gho against UL.

Again, JMHOFWIW. I hope I'm as wrong as Hades is hot FWIW.

Peace out,

A_N

It's set up pretty much like the beatdown from Fl st a few years ago. After watching dumbo and the football players (in full pads & uniform), ride a short bus around the stadium so they can get on the field, they suffered the worst loss at pickens co's version of "death valley".

Don't forget, clemsux also thought they were going to set the Guinness Book Of World Records for crowd noise. Their hopes were shattered on the first play of the game. Didn't clemsux fumbled the ball? #clemsuxing

Last edited:
Reactions: wood90
With the two teams being close in talent it comes down to coaching. Edge goes to Louisville because Bobby can outsmart Dabo any day of the week.

With the two teams being close in talent it comes down to coaching. Edge goes to Louisville because Bobby can outsmart Dabo any day of the week.
You're correct that coaching likely makes the most difference

However it would be Petrino v Venables

And Scott/Elliott v Grantham

You're correct that coaching likely makes the most difference

However it would be Petrino v Venables

And Scott/Elliott v Grantham
At the end of the day though the two head men have the say so and can overrule their assistants at the drop of a hat. I see Dabo looking at that play sheet and in the middle of the huddle during timeouts.

Call me whacha wish folks, but I think Clem's son handles Louisville by anywhere from 7 - 10 points.

JMHO. I think sCUm has a damned perfect defense to gho against UL.

Again, JMHOFWIW. I hope I'm as wrong as Hades is hot FWIW.

Peace out,

A_N

Unfortunately, I agree with your prediction. However, I have hope UL can score on Clemson. Jackson negates Clemson's front 4 to some extent. He can attack the second level, with his legs and arm, which no team has done all season.

It's UL's defense that concerns me. I haven't bought into that unit yet. I expect Watson to run the ball a lot in this game.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
Unfortunately, I agree with your prediction. However, I have hope UL can score on Clemson. Jackson negates Clemson's front 4 to some extent. He can attack the second level, with his legs and arm, which no team has done all season.

It's UL's defense that concerns me. I haven't bought into that unit yet. I expect Watson to run the ball a lot in this game.

His "arm" is nothing special. He hits 57% of his passes that not that good. He is sussessful in the center of field at mid range and to his left at mid range. The kid only hits 50% of his passes straight to the sideline behind he line of scrimmage. That's not that great.

His "arm" is nothing special. He hits 57% of his passes that not that good. He is sussessful in the center of field at mid range and to his left at mid range. The kid only hits 50% of his passes straight to the sideline behind he line of scrimmage. That's not that great.

Secondly you hit the nail on the head in the last sentence. Watson has ran the ball 15 times all year. You can say what you want but I have watched the offense last year and this year. The play calling is different more reserved. They are holding back. When you run Watson it makes the offense work. He has not run, therefore some of the other plays are not there. You will see this change Saturday and saw a little bit of it he first half of ga tech.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
I hate Looserville as much as you guys hate Clemson and I hope UL loses. That being said, I think UL will roll Clemson like they did FL ST.

Just curious, where are some of you getting the idea that Clemson's defense is better this season than last year. They haven't exactly played powerhouse offenses.
Auburn played 3 different QB's
Troy
SC State
GT one dimensional with a coach firmly on the hot seat.

IMO, Clemson's defense will get ran off the field Saturday.

Just curious, where are some of you getting the idea that Clemson's defense is better this season than last year. They haven't exactly played powerhouse offenses.
Auburn played 3 different QB's
Troy
SC State
GT one dimensional with a coach firmly on the hot seat.

IMO, Clemson's defense will get ran off the field Saturday.

I respectfully -- and regretfully -- disagree.

Compared to last year, the Clemson D is worse on the back end, but better up front. Their DL is the best in the country, IYAM. With the exception of FSU, UL has feasted on pathetic defenses. FSU was unmotivated in their game @ UL, and their D is not what is was last year, especially w/o Derwin James.

Secondly you hit the nail on the head in the last sentence. Watson has ran the ball 15 times all year. You can say what you want but I have watched the offense last year and this year. The play calling is different more reserved. They are holding back. When you run Watson it makes the offense work. He has not run, therefore some of the other plays are not there. You will see this change Saturday and saw a little bit of it he first half of ga tech.
I'm sorry, I couldn't disagree more here. Why do Clemson fans always say after a bad performance they were "holding back?" Watson entered the season as the Heisman favorite, and you think Dabo is purposely keeping Watson from even having a shot at a Heisman just to surprise Louisville? Clemson's O is starting to feel the loss of Chad Morris, and I have a feeling they're going to feel it more this season and next.

I hate Looserville as much as you guys hate Clemson and I hope UL loses. That being said, I think UL will roll Clemson like they did FL ST.
I hope you're right there. I mean I see you're a UK fan, therefore a UL rival, but I regrettably believe that sCUm is gonna win it. Again by anywhere between 7 - 10.

Again, I hope I'm flat out wrong.

Peace out (Again!!)

A_N

IIRC, Louisville fumbled near the goal line on the go ahead drive.
You have a pretty terrible memory. Clemson was up 20-10 before giving up a 90-something yard kickoff return to make it 20-17. Louisville had a chance at a 60+ yard hail mary at the end that was picked off.

IIRC, Louisville fumbled near the goal line on the go ahead drive.
Soooo, UL got a little payback in mind ya think??

Mayhap so, mayhap so. We'll see what we'll see; even a blind squirrel finds a pecan every now and then. If "if's" and "buts" we're candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry New Year!! =;-p

I post the same thing in another thread. Not that Louisville is bad but that CU defense is very good. And that is where the game is won.

Florida State and Ole Miss are pretty good too and Louisville shocked the rankings with their strong showing against FSU.

Clemson has only played 1 dimensional offenses with very poor passing ability. Georgia Tech and Auburn probably have lower total yards in the passing game this season than us.

Since Steve Spurrier retired, now Bobby Petrino is the best proven offensive play caller in college football and he now has a QB better than any he ever had @ Arkansas with big physical WRS to throw to.

Florida State and Ole Miss are pretty good too and Louisville shocked the rankings with their strong showing against FSU.

Clemson has only played 1 dimensional offenses with very poor passing ability. Georgia Tech and Auburn probably have lower total yards in the passing game this season than us.

Since Steve Spurrier retired, now Bobby Petrino is the best proven offensive play caller in college football and he now has a QB better than any he ever had @ Arkansas with big physical WRS to throw to.
Go UofL!!!!!!!

You have a pretty terrible memory. Clemson was up 20-10 before giving up a 90-something yard kickoff return to make it 20-17. Louisville had a chance at a 60+ yard hail mary at the end that was picked off.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I seem to remember Louisville fumbling while driving in Clemson territory as well.

But I also understand that you constantly defend Clemson, so I'm probably wrong. Either way, Clemson only won by 3 points

I respectfully -- and regretfully -- disagree.

Compared to last year, the Clemson D is worse on the back end, but better up front. Their DL is the best in the country, IYAM. With the exception of FSU, UL has feasted on pathetic defenses. FSU was unmotivated in their game @ UL, and their D is not what is was last year, especially w/o Derwin James.

Do you not agree that the level of competition has contributed to Clemson's defensive stats? The best offense they've faced is ranked outside of the top 50 in college football.

On the other hand, Louisville is averaging close to 700 yards per game

The beauty of it is we will find out in about 46 hours who is the real deal and who isn't.

Do you not agree that the level of competition has contributed to Clemson's defensive stats? The best offense they've faced is ranked outside of the top 50 in college football.

On the other hand, Louisville is averaging close to 700 yards per game
Oh yeah, I agree. My gut is that they've been off, and will play more as expected. Go back and look at last year...they always seem to do just enough. And that DL is legit, no matter how much you hate them. The team with better talent usually wins, and they have more talent than anyone on their skedge, save FSU.

Or it could be like FSU a few years ago.

Furthermore, let's start calling it by the correct name memorial stadium or Frank Hayward field. The majority of the country by a huge pct. agrees death valley is LSU.

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2

Clemson's offense was ranked 103rd in the country after the Auburn and Troy games. Then the played a pitiful SC state team and cut 3 minutes off the 3rd and 4th quarters. They also game planned 2 weeks for Georgia Tech just like Louisville overlooked Marshal to game plan 2 weeks for Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT