ADVERTISEMENT

JC Horn and Israel Mukuamu Was Excited When They Committed To US. Disappointed They Quit.

Crazy Cock 89

Nov 27, 2011
I wish and hope a Long, Safe and Healthy Career in the League for both these young men. I think they are really good Character and Outstanding young men.

However, Before the Season was One Thing. Opting Out - Nice Way of Saying " I quit."

Horn could be 1st rounder.

Izzy has bad groin. No way anyone risks a pick on him until late rounds unless stupid.

JC may not be 1st round choice... He got burned against Ole Miss several times and quit after Muschamp was fired... I think that was an excuse he used to quit...

He could fall late 2nd to 3rd round....

What difference does It make. This team would have probably finished 2-8 if they stayed. They will most likely finish 2-8 without them. I just don’t get people getting all dramatic over people they don’t know and have limited knowledge of their individual situations.

Reactions: dcollie
I understand Izzy more than JC. Izzy needed to heal up some. He hasn't been 100% all year. RJR is not getting drafted, but he's addition by subraction.

What difference does It make. This team would have probably finished 2-8 if they stayed. They will most likely finish 2-8 without them. I just don’t get people getting all dramatic over people they don’t know and have limited knowledge of their individual situations.
Probably won’t make much difference as far as wins and losses are concerned, but it does tell you about their character, as far as how they handle adversity. I don’t that believe labeling them quitters is being dramatic anymore than praising them for going after that “bag”, or “they bout to get paid “ is being dramatic

Probably won’t make much difference as far as wins and losses are concerned, but it does tell you about their character, as far as how they handle adversity. I don’t that believe labeling them quitters is being dramatic anymore than praising them for going after that “bag”, or “they bout to get paid “ is being dramatic
Why do you care about the character of guys you don’t really know? Antonio Brown doesn’t have great character. He keeps getting chance after a chance because he can still play football. It’s a game of football. These guys are not selling you life insurance.

I really wish we had tried Izzy at the reciever spot. He had the length and hands for it. He just was so up and down at the corner spot.

Why do you care about the character of guys you don’t really know? Antonio Brown doesn’t have great character. He keeps getting chance after a chance because he can still play football. It’s a game of football. These guys are not selling you life insurance.

Can’t speak for the guy you responded to, but I’d guess that why he cares “about character of guys you don’t really know” is because anybody with even a basic amount of common sense understands that character goes hand in with attitude, outlook, and work ethic. If they’ll just quit in the middle of the season, you can pretty much bet your that’s not the only area of their lives that they’re willing to half ass it, and the results we’ve seen on the field over the past several seasons absolutely prove that point.

and it’s hilarious you used Antonio Brown as an example. Yeah, he keeps getting chance after chance because of his talent. But professionally, despite his talent and BECAUSE of his lack of character, he really has accomplished nothing. He’s skirted around to 3 different teams and is on thin ice facing being permanently removed from the NFL. Meanwhile, the team he tried and failed to destroy with his lack of character, how are they doing? Oh yeah, they’re 10-0.

Personally, I think it speaks to the culture our program currently has. When some of our BEST players didn't get their way, they pitched a fit and decided to quit. It's not the same as Deebo sitting out the bowl game. He knew there was a good chance he would be drafted in the early rounds, but he also knew he had been somewhat injury-prone during his college career. The bottom line is that the players on the team need to start focusing on the team instead of themselves.

I had the privilege of listening to Kimrey's podcast that had Brewer and Faison as two of the guests. Even they mentioned how the me-first mentality is seems to be prevalent and that it is so different from what they felt and experienced as student athletes. I think it was Brewer who said he had a terrible injury his senior year but he would never been able to sit on the sideline if he was at all capable of playing. He said something along the lines of he couldn't sit by and watch my brothers out there struggling and fighting without him contributing. That's the mentality we need, not the one where guys quit on each other.

When you quit on your team and the team actually plays better without you, I wouldn’t be banking on a guaranteed NFL career.

SEC Now said last year five of the 16 players that didn't play in Bowl Games were not drafted. They when on to say opting out this late in the season would not workout well for them.

Personally, I think it speaks to the culture our program currently has. When some of our BEST players didn't get their way, they pitched a fit and decided to quit. It's not the same as Deebo sitting out the bowl game. He knew there was a good chance he would be drafted in the early rounds, but he also knew he had been somewhat injury-prone during his college career. The bottom line is that the players on the team need to start focusing on the team instead of themselves.

I had the privilege of listening to Kimrey's podcast that had Brewer and Faison as two of the guests. Even they mentioned how the me-first mentality is seems to be prevalent and that it is so different from what they felt and experienced as student athletes. I think it was Brewer who said he had a terrible injury his senior year but he would never been able to sit on the sideline if he was at all capable of playing. He said something along the lines of he couldn't sit by and watch my brothers out there struggling and fighting without him contributing. That's the mentality we need, not the one where guys quit on each other.
It doesn’t bother me. I’m all for guys being honest and prefer them just checking out than playing it out just to fulfill some notion of not quitting on your teammates. I played with many a guy that had quit but still had a uniform on. The one thing I appreciate in these young kids is their honesty. I notice a lot of people my age freak out over it, but I don’t mind. The Jaycee Horn I know never quit when he was out there. I remember him saving the Missouri game as a true freshman when he ran down that running back and set up a goal line stand in the rain. I want that player if he is going to play. If he is at a point that he can’t give us that anymore, then I don’t mind him saying that it is time for him to move on.

Why do I care? Are you serious? Anyone who supports Gamecock athletics financially should care if the players they’re supporting financially are quitters. At a minimum it’s ok for people to voice an opinion different from yours. You don’t have to get so defensive. As for Antonio brown, I couldn’t care less about him. I don’t support now or ever, any team he’s ever been associated with. Poor example.

Reactions: SweetgrassVodka
Why do I care? Are you serious? Anyone who supports Gamecock athletics financially should care if the players they’re supporting financially are quitters. At a minimum it’s ok for people to voice an opinion different from yours. You don’t have to get so defensive. As for Antonio brown, I couldn’t care less about him. I don’t support now or ever, any team he’s ever been associated with. Poor example.
Yes I am serious because I find it fascinating that grown men can allow a 21 year old kid to upset them so much when they have no control over the kid’s decision. He has made the decision to leave. It’s a done deal. I don’t like it either. However, I prefer to remember the good in a kid than beat him down because he is not a Gamecock anymore. I understand 24-48 hours of venting. However, this has gone on for a week. Beating down ex-players doesn’t bring in better players or a better culture in the future. Gamecock fans have been doing this even when we were winning in the Spurrier days. We eat our own here.

I understand 24-48 hours of venting. However, this has gone on for a week.
I’ll always remember them as quitters. Not for just a week. Sounds like you are the one letting it get to you. Some players quit on their team when things get tough, others don’t, but most people are gonna remember the ones that quit on their team as quitters. Kinda like SOS. Either way I’ll survive

I believe both guys should pack their ^@$# and leave the facility they had a full ride to play football not take up room while spitting in the face of Gamecock fans. Don't buy the crap about the combine. Once you walk about the free ride goes with you.

It's principle. You served in the Military didn't you? If so thank you for your service.

You just don't quit on your team mates, Friends, Brother's?

Character does matter. Athletes are idolized by children and adults. People are watching. It does affect our society, If you think it doesn't matter, you are deceiving yourself.

I care about trying my best to be a good influence to others so as to have a positive influence on others.

I’ll always remember them as quitters. Not for just a week. Sounds like you are the one letting it get to you. Some players quit on their team when things get tough, others don’t, but most people are gonna remember the ones that quit on their team as quitters. Kinda like SOS. Either way I’ll survive
Not really. I am just ready to move on with the guys that decided to play. This back and forth between fans and players have been going on stretching back to Emmanuel Cook quitting school and missing the Outback Bowl. It even bleeds into other sports even when the kid finishes out the season ( PJ Dozier). PJ Dozier finished it out and helped us to a Final Four, yet a lot of fans couldn’t be happy that he finally made it in the NBA this year. The Nuggets are going to pick up his team option of 1.8 million within in the week. However, you will probably get 5-10 posts about how he should have stayed another year when it is reported. So, I really don’t see this as a Horn or Izzy quitting issue. I see it as fans wanting it their way.

I saw an Interview where Brown said he has attended anger management classes and said he was working hard to develop himself as an individual. Antonio said he has changed and is appreciative for this opportunity and plan to make the most of it. I am willing to give Antonio the Benefit of the doubt.

Not really. I am just ready to move on with the guys that decided to play. This back and forth between fans and players have been going on stretching back to Emmanuel Cook quitting school and missing the Outback Bowl. It even bleeds into other sports even when the kid finishes out the season ( PJ Dozier). PJ Dozier finished it out and helped us to a Final Four, yet a lot of fans couldn’t be happy that he finally made it in the NBA this year. The Nuggets are going to pick up his team option of 1.8 million within in the week. However, you will probably get 5-10 posts about how he should have stayed another year when it is reported. So, I really don’t see this as a Horn or Izzy quitting issue. I see it as fans wanting it their way.
The two issues with players quitting during the season for me are number one, you don’t quit on your teammates during the season. Essentially, as a player you make a commitment to your school, your fans, and most importantly your teammates to give it all you got each season. If a program has a team full of “me first” players, you might as well shut it down. Secondly, when fans say they’re good with or just indifferent to players quitting on the team during the season, you might as well shut it down. Why do people invest in a program? Ultimately it’s to win, not develop players up until the point during the season when they have a good chance of getting drafted. Duh

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
The two issues with players quitting during the season for me are number one, you don’t quit on your teammates during the season. Essentially, as a player you make a commitment to your school, your fans, and most importantly your teammates to give it all you got each season. If a program has a team full of “me first” players, you might as well shut it down. Secondly, when fans say they’re good with or just indifferent to players quitting on the team during the season, you might as well shut it down. Why do people invest in a program? Ultimately it’s to win, not develop players up until the point during the season when they have a good chance of getting drafted. Duh
I’m indifferent to it because you can’t do anything about it but complain. We can complain all we want. Horn is gone and there are going to be others that quit when things go bad. I don’t believe in firing coaches in the season, but we did it and I have to live with it whatever my personal values are. This notion of not quitting on your teammates is a noble concept but not real when the rubber meets the road. Kids transfer out over playing time and a myriad of issues all the time. Quarterbacks are some of the most egregious with that and many transfer out within a year if they don’t see the field. It will probably happen with us this year. So, there are always selfish motives within the framework of a team. Many times it just doesn’t get out for the public to see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT