ADVERTISEMENT

"Joyner can't pass well"

cockyferg

Dec 7, 2010
What do y'all think now? I thought he looked good on his few throws. That one to Adkins was a great down field pass. I think he should start against Clemson if he's not in concussion protocol.

Joyner looked better than before passing last night. The defender did drop a relatively easy interception in the end zone. So, it wasn’t all great but admittedly he did look better than Hilinski.

I’d be fine with him starting against Clemson.with as pitiful as a OL we have, we need someone that can run if needed..The injuries on offense has really taken a toll..

Like Joyner a lot. Want him to be faster, but he’s just not. I didn’t mean to rhyme that. But anyway, it was noticeable the first time he touched the ball against UNC. He doesn’t have it, and you can’t coach it. That said, I’d start him over Ryan if both are healthy. He still is a better DT option we will need. With our OL, poor guys are going to be running for their lives.

DJ is just not a passer. Go back and watch the spring game. That's why they always have him pass behind the line. Hilinski will be a good QB, but I wonder how long it will be for BOOM! and if he will stay when BOOM! gets canned.

I've seen JB, RH and DJ throw good passes in games now. Play the one who is healthy and playing well. If he's struggling, replace him. CWM has a completely different perspective though. I'm pretty sure he made a deal with himself/player/parent to never ever take the QB out of a game.

Why does Hilinski slide? He's not that good that we can't afford to lose him. Only our punter is allowed to slide against Clemson.

This dude is going to win the Heisman and he doesn't slide.

3193e9d38c3f4e28b2a22f7a067326fe.jpg

Say what you want about Joyner, but at least he doesn't play scared. He got his bell rung trying to score on 4th and goal from the 19th. Hopefully he'll be OK. We need that kind of fire against Clemson.

Reactions: 92Pony and bmull08
I just don't get Muschamp's QB philosophy. It's obvious that Joyner should be given meaningful snaps if Ryan is struggling. We've been told that Joyner can't throw however he showed flashes once again last night of making plays with his arm and legs. Honestly it can't get any worse than watching Ryan throw the ball 41 times, and only connect on 16 of those passes. I'm not here to bash Ryan, because after all he is a freshman and has showed flashes of good things this season, however when he is off, he is off. Under any other coach, when a QB is not performing well, you try another option, just like any other position on the field. If the 2nd QB stinks it up, you go to the 3rd or back to the 1st option to see if they learned anything while sitting on the sideline. What you don't do is keep banging your head against the wall, and expecting different results (Mizzou, Tex aTm, etc..)

I get that Muschamp doesn't want to shake a young qb's confidence, but don't you think missing throw after throw, stalling drive after drive, not only affects the Qb's confidence, but the confidence of the entire team?

One thing is obvious is that this staff does not know how to consistently make in game adjustments. We were blessed with Spurrier and even Holtz, who not only would bench an underforming player, but would also make key in game adjustment's to put the players in position to win. Muschamp would rather go down with the ship.

I don't see how anyone can say DJ isn't an option for QB because we haven't seen him in any meaningful snaps fo any amount of time. He had a .75 completion% last night, and hillinski was terrible. Until we have seen enough of Joyner getting actual passing plays, you just cannot, with any accuracy, say he isn't a good option. You can't base it off his high school numbers either, because by the same logic, hillinski was an all American high school QB but has looked bad this year. It isn't necessarily hillinski's fault, and I don't want to sound like I am bashing him, but the facts are the facts. He has not thrown the ball very well, even when he has had time. With better coaching and decent line play, he will probably be the QB we were all expecting.

No QB can play behind this offense, a QB is only as good as the OL and WR let him be we can't pin this rap on them. We are getting killed in the other teams film room by being out coached and being predicable. I can see the life being drained from our QB on every play just waiting on the hit to come. If we had a team full of Ernest Jones we would be fine.

DJ finished our only quality win this season. Yesterday we didn't even sniff the end zone until DJ came late in the 4th quarter for mop up duty. To say he's not a good QB is short sighted based on his contributions this season.
That's not true Xavier dropped a touchdown that hit him in the hands... If he makes that catch . It might would have lit a fire... We will never know..

Joyner is a stop-gap guy. He is not a guy who could lead a team to a winning season at this level unless he had premier talent around him everyplace.
He's in the wrong system. In an option or veer, he could excel.

I just don't get Muschamp's QB philosophy. It's obvious that Joyner should be given meaningful snaps if Ryan is struggling. We've been told that Joyner can't throw however he showed flashes once again last night of making plays with his arm and legs. Honestly it can't get any worse than watching Ryan throw the ball 41 times, and only connect on 16 of those passes. I'm not here to bash Ryan, because after all he is a freshman and has showed flashes of good things this season, however when he is off, he is off. Under any other coach, when a QB is not performing well, you try another option, just like any other position on the field. If the 2nd QB stinks it up, you go to the 3rd or back to the 1st option to see if they learned anything while sitting on the sideline. What you don't do is keep banging your head against the wall, and expecting different results (Mizzou, Tex aTm, etc..)

I get that Muschamp doesn't want to shake a young qb's confidence, but don't you think missing throw after throw, stalling drive after drive, not only affects the Qb's confidence, but the confidence of the entire team?

One thing is obvious is that this staff does not know how to consistently make in game adjustments. We were blessed with Spurrier and even Holtz, who not only would bench an underforming player, but would also make key in game adjustment's to put the players in position to win. Muschamp would rather go down with the ship.
Muschamp’s QB philosophy is to recruit two or three really good QB’s, coach them into total regression, and then never see their real potential until they get drafted and enter NFL. I believe he has three in NFL now that he ruined at UF. Took a pro Coordinator and QB coach to straighten them back out.

So he needed to play for Paul Johnson or at one of the service academies or at Wofford..
He's a run-first QB if he's a QB. He simply doesn't do well in the vertical passing game. In a run scheme you can dive for 4 yards a carry. Put Joyner in a pro set and defenses will crowd the box and dare him to pass all night.

You need to be able to pass. Joyner is running the zone read ineffectively now.
One dimensional zone read. They don’t let him pass. We only run it a small percentage of the time, when we do at all! Hardly a good recipe for success. I’m telling you the kid has skills. Started varsity in 9th grade and not at one of those small schools.

Zone read. Does Connor Shaw ring a bell? Good OC like Rich Rod would have this kid looking great QB.

My Man! Yes sir, this man knows what he's talking about.

I remember when Spurrier got here and everyone couldn't wait to see the Fun n' Gun. FAIL. We didn't start winning big until we had a dual threat quarterback.

Reactions: AngloCock
One dimensional zone read. They don’t let him pass. We only run it a small percentage of the time, when we do at all! Hardly a good recipe for success. I’m telling you the kid has skills. Started varsity in 9th grade and not at one of those small schools.
Go watch the spring game. He threw an INT to a guy standing right in front of him. this isn't high school.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
A lot of QBs look good in mop up duty, that's how bogus stats get padded and defenses are just in prevent. I say time and time again, there's a reason hardly anyone was recruiting him as a QB. It doesn't matter who starts against Clemson, the onslaught will be the same.

A lot of QBs look good in mop up duty, that's how bogus stats get padded and defenses are just in prevent. I say time and time again, there's a reason hardly anyone was recruiting him as a QB. It doesn't matter who starts against Clemson, the onslaught will be the same.

They still had their first team defense on the field. You can't honestly say hillinski did better.

Go watch the spring game. He threw an INT to a guy standing right in front of him. this isn't high school.
If ya say so. All our other options are playing so well. Have to just agree to disagree. The only time we have ever been good as football program was with a running QB!!

Reactions: DarkCock
Like Joyner a lot. Want him to be faster, but he’s just not. I didn’t mean to rhyme that. But anyway, it was noticeable the first time he touched the ball against UNC. He doesn’t have it, and you can’t coach it. That said, I’d start him over Ryan if both are healthy. He still is a better DT option we will need. With our OL, poor guys are going to be running for their lives.

Too small period....Never going to be the QB here for anyone!

The FLASH he needs to show is how to read a DEFENSE......Then check down.....

Sorry but this kid ain't got it and ain't gonna get it......

DJ is just not a passer. Go back and watch the spring game. That's why they always have him pass behind the line. Hilinski will be a good QB, but I wonder how long it will be for BOOM! and if he will stay when BOOM! gets canned.

I like RH, and I think he should be the guy. That said, it is really concerning to see his regression. I mean this is the same kid who won SEC Freshmen Player of the Week against Alabama a couple of months ago. Now we are losing to App State, and the kid struggles to throw a basic pass. I can't help but again put this at the feet of the coaches. I mean I know we have injuries, but this is beyond terrible at this point.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I think between DJ and Ryan and the O in general we just need some full on evaluation...then everything will be fixed.

DJ finished our only quality win this season. Yesterday we didn't even sniff the end zone until DJ came late in the 4th quarter for mop up duty. To say he's not a good QB is short sighted based on his contributions this season.
I'm sorry. He's a change of pace for any team trying to run a multiple offense.

Reactions: classof95#
The FLASH he needs to show is how to read a DEFENSE......Then check down.....

Sorry but this kid ain't got it and ain't gonna get it......

You may be right, but I guess we'll never know for sure. What we do know is that there is a lack of production on our offense, and the coaches should be willing to switch things up in hopes of providing a spark. Joyner may or may not be the answer, but the kid has been a winner throughout his fb playing career, and brings confidence to the position so he has something that our other qbs have been lacking. Add to that the dimension he brings with running the ball, and who knows what he could do if given a real opportunity to run our offense. At the very least, the coaches have had an entire season to develop a package for him that utilizes his skill set, and we have yet to see them put him in any kind of position to be successful or see the slightest hint of development/improvement.

At this point it's like crying over spilled milk, our season is shot, and our last game is against CU (not a good recipe for any of our QBs, although a win would be great!)

Reactions: ken in sacramento
I like RH, and I think he should be the guy. That said, it is really concerning to see his regression. I mean this is the same kid who won SEC Freshmen Player of the Week against Alabama a couple of months ago. Now we are losing to App State, and the kid struggles to throw a basic pass. I can't help but again put this at the feet of the coaches. I mean I know we have injuries, but this is beyond terrible at this point.
I’m not shocked at all about Hilinski’s play. I said he wasn’t ready for this level when he was a senior in high school, and I said the same thing after I saw him at the spring game. Other posters on this forum said he wasn’t ready too, so it wasn’t just me’ and I was still saying he wasn’t ready after the CSU and Alabama games, and then I let my guard down for a couple weeks and let the “sunshine pumpers” convince me that the kid was a good Quarterback. ;) I felt I was being too harsh on the kid and I needed to back off when deep down, ‘I knew he didn’t have it!” That’s why I never watched any of the tributes to his brother “although I’ve been at games, when he was honored I wouldn’t let myself get caught up in the “emotion of it, that way I could honestly evaluate the kid and I’m sorry he’s in over his head! Jay Urich should’ve got a shot this year and Dakereon deserves better, and that’s all I got to say about it right now!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT