ADVERTISEMENT

Just curious: anybody here who previously opposed pulling the redshirt but

paleoorthocock

Dec 14, 2004
now thinks it was a good idea? Not even leading anywhere with this. Simply wanted to know.

I was very much in favor of playing Bentley today, fwiw.

I fall in this category. I will admit. During the offweek, I changed my mind about it. Think it helps with our offensive recruits as well.

Reactions: IrmoRed
I fall in this category. I will admit. During the offweek, I changed my mind about it. Think it helps with our offensive recruits as well.

Yeah, recruiting was the big thing with me. It's certainly not ideal, but in some way there needs to be a buzz or at least a sense of optimism about the program. I think it was worth the gamble personally.

I was on the fence but mostly in favor of him keeping the red shirt. Looks like a good move now but if Bentley performed well and threw the ball better in preseason camp then why wasn't he the starter from the beginning? Also it has to suck for McIllwain and his family because he gave up money to come to USC. I don't feel like McIllwain or Nunez were put in situations to succeed at USC at QB.

Last edited:
I was on the fence but mostly in favor of him keeping the red shirt. Looks like a good move now but if Bentley performed threw the ball better in preseason camp then why wasn't he starter from the beginning?

Throwing the ball well and knowing the offense and plays are 2 different things.

Reactions: vacock#
Thought it was a high risk move to try to keep recruiting momentum, with more potential downside than upside (what happens if there are no more saviors to turn to?). But I'm cautiously optimistic after today. The guy definitely has talent. I just hope the recruits will realize that too even when he takes a few inevitable lumps from tougher competition.

now thinks it was a good idea? Not even leading anywhere with this. Simply wanted to know.

I was very much in favor of playing Bentley today, fwiw.
We are going to win 4 games with or w/o Bentley. Playing Bentley this year has very little benefit long-term. Complete knee jerk reaction by the staff. Bentley is the best QB on staff but the cost of playing him this year outweighs the benefits.

Reactions: chickenrun1
I was against it this late in the season... I still say if he is our best QB, he WAS our best one two or three weeks ago too... he was our best coming into the season... If we were going to do this QB rotation with a Bentley and BMAC, we should have done it from game one. JMHO..

I was torn though as I really wanted to see what he could do! Glad he played well. He really needed to against this crappy team. Hope he gets a lot of confidence and this translates to better play against a quality opponent too! I also don't understand out play calling in the second half! "Ohh, passing the ball is working really well. Why don't we STOP DOING THAT!? Maybe if we run it 19/20 plays the D will figure it out and start stacking the box. Then we can just keep smashing our running backs into brick walls! Cuz that was sooooo fun to watch the first six weeks!" I am SICK of our teams not putting their foot in an inferior team's throat!!! We needed to smash in 2 more TDs on these fools, and we completely quit trying once we got to 34. We went away from passing, we started playing back ups on D and playing prevent... whole second half was ugly! It was way too conservative and a good team would have come back and beat us. This was a chance to give this young guy some confidence.... get him a BUNCH IF PASSING REPS! We wasted that opp. SMH... what take the RS off him to keep him from passing HALF the game? Until that last drive of the second half, I don't recall him completing more than one pass in the whole second half!

It was UMASS with a depleted defense...that STILL gave our worthless OL fits. I still think it's the wrong move, but if he does fine against UT, then I'll admit I was wrong.

Given the chance, I think Orth does as well yesterday. Bentley did have a nice touch on a few deep passes though.

I have never liked red shirting a player who is ready or could be ready to play this year and pay off for next year...

I just wished Bentley was ready to go at the start of the year, but just coming in without having Spring Practice under your belt and to play the way he did yesterday, shows this kid is special...

He should be a senior in High School this year, and people forget that..

Better late than never...

If our defense can play a lot better than yesterday, then we can at least win about 3 or 4 more games... With both Bentley and BMac playing QB...

This is a very good move by Muchamp to remove the red shirt from Bentley, sending a message we want to win now and it will pay off with recruits...

I have always said you play whoever gives you the best chance to win right now. I still think that is orth. Bentley is definitely better than bmac. So I'm ok with Bentley playing from here out.

It was UMASS with a depleted defense...that STILL gave our worthless OL fits. I still think it's the wrong move, but if he does fine against UT, then I'll admit I was wrong.

Given the chance, I think Orth does as well yesterday. Bentley did have a nice touch on a few deep passes though.
No way it was wrong to play Bentley. Give him the experience he will need next year, plus more of a threat downfield the rest of this year.
Also, Orth won't be here next year so to me it doesn't matter what he might have done. Unfortunately he didn't always do it when he had the opportunity.

Reactions: bushmastercock
Ask that question again after the Tennessee game.
Orth had no trouble rolling up yardage when the gamecocks were a couple of
touchdowns behind.

If Carolina can move the ball consistently and keep pace with Tennessee
in the first half, then that will be a good sign.

I think the final drive says it all. We'll never know what orth or BMac would have done on the final drive. What we do know is Bentley didn't fold and drove the the team down the field to secure the win. He looked like a seasoned veteran doing it too.

I have always said you play whoever gives you the best chance to win right now. I still think that is orth. Bentley is definitely better than bmac. So I'm ok with Bentley playing from here out.
Check Orth's record as a starter if you think he gives us the best chance to win.

Reactions: gamecockblack
As I said all week, if Bentley separated himself, he should start. I guess he separated himself.

I also think they should have given BMc a chance to throw the ball against a crummy defense... but he did have a chance against KY.

We are going to win 4 games with or w/o Bentley. Playing Bentley this year has very little benefit long-term. Complete knee jerk reaction by the staff. Bentley is the best QB on staff but the cost of playing him this year outweighs the benefits.
I disagree, if we don't try him this year we will go into next year with another inexperienced QB.

I was on the fence about pulling the redshirt but I have changed my mind and think Bentley should be our guy going forward.

Raises hand. I was a little on the fence but mostly wanted to keep him on the bench. Although I will say I thought the argument about him only having three years to play and then going pro was one of the silliest things I've ever heard in my life. In hindsight I'm glad we played it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT