ADVERTISEMENT

Just for curiosity, I wonder why SOS was not named interim

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
coach at UF? Who better to rally the team and salvage the remainder of the season. I'm glad he wasn't named interim coach but I'm think he would have been a good choice. It could be that he was not familiar with offensive and defensive schemes but as a long time coach it would not have taken him long to pick up on what the team was doing.

My gosh, their season is shot anyway so what would it have hurt? Again, I'm glad SOS is not the interim coach but just looking at it from a UF point of view it could have pumped some life into the team and fans for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:
He wouldn’t want the additional Ls on his record. I believe that was one of the reasons why he bailed on us midway through the season.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Because he wouldn't have any knowledge of either the current schemes for offense or defense. Hard to call a set of plays when you don't know the playbook.

coach at UF? Who better to rally the team and salvage the remainder of the season. I'm glad he wasn't named interim coach but I'm think he would have been a good choice. It could be that he was not familiar with offensive and defensive schemes but as a long time coach it would not have taken him long to pick up on what the team was doing.

My gosh, there season is shot anyway so what would it have hurt? Again, I'm glad SOS is not the interim coach but just looking at it from a UF point of view it could have pumped some life into the team and fans for the remainder of the season.
Steve Spurrier is around 73 years old. At that age the body and the mind are telling you to "back off" and things start happening to you that let you know you should not be doing that type thing. He is simply getting to old to do that anymore. I know there are always exceptions and he might be one of them. Just saying...

-Very little knowledge of the current schemes, team chemistry, etc.
-Want to give someone on the staff a chance to prove themselves/have a shot at the job (at least theoretically)

Steve Spurrier is around 73 years old. At that age the body and the mind are telling you to "back off" and things start happening to you that let you know you should not be doing that type thing. He is simply getting to old to do that anymore. I know there are always exceptions and he might be one of them. Just saying...

My gosh, Joe Pa was in his late 80's when he was forced out and Bobby Bowden was also in his '80s when he left coaching.

He wouldn't know the names of any players on their team. Heck he didn't know the names of ours when he was here, so I guess that wouldn't make a difference.

Because he wouldn't have any knowledge of either the current schemes for offense or defense. Hard to call a set of plays when you don't know the playbook.

That's why you have OCs and DCs.

So your now your suggesting since he doesn't know the playbook, he should just stand on the sidelines like a figurehead

UF would become a laughing stock, restoring to gimmicks

Spurrier wouldnt want to willingly coach against kids he recruited to South Carolina.

Why wouldn't he? Last year during a timeout against his old players he came on the field to get honored as a Gator great. Meanwhile his former players stood across the field having to witness that crap in the Swamp

Why wouldn't he? Last year during a timeout against his old players he came on the field to get honored as a Gator great. Meanwhile his former players stood across the field having to witness that crap in the Swamp
Why did our players stand around watching the show during a timeout?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT