ADVERTISEMENT

Just look at our recruiting page

CAPTCOCK61

Aug 14, 2004
We have four 2 stars on that list. If sos needs advice on what his problems are I suggest he go look at that list. You can't turn a Yugo in to a Porsche. All the problems our team is experiencing has its base in a complete failure on recruiting and talent evaluation. The staff Spurrier has now assembled simply do not recruit well. If those guys were working for a sales company they wouldn't last 6 months not one of them.

We have four 2 stars on that list. If so needs advice on what his problems are I suggest he go look at that list. You can't turn a Yugo in to a Porsche. All the problems our team is experiencing has its base in a complete failure on recruiting and talent evaluation. The staff Spurrier has now assembled simply do not recruit well. If those guys were working for a sales company they wouldn't last 6 months not one of them.
Don't worry about or recruiting....Ward and Deke have expanded our base to BiLo, Food Lion, and Harris Teeter looking for players since we had such success with Publix....no one has tapped into that gold mine recruiting area yet......except us of course......we will give scholarships to bag boys......other schools are recruiting bag men.....

While I think good player evaluation sometimes means ignoring a player's "star" ranking, it's obvious that our talent is no longer on a par with Georgia's and even the 2nd tier of the SEC.

Reactions: jbouton
While I think good player evaluation sometimes means ignoring a player's "star" ranking, it's obvious that our talent is no longer on a par with Georgia's and even the 2nd tier of the SEC.

Georgia has always had more talent than us. The gap has just widened.

Our staff spends too much time recruiting diamonds in the rough, and not enough time battling other schools for bigger recruits commitments.

Reactions: Big Cock
Our staff spends too much time recruiting diamonds in the rough, and not enough time battling other schools for bigger recruits commitments.

Yes, but it's EASIER to recruit those 'diamonds in the rough' - that's it, see? Same in business. Poor employees will always do the easy, perfunctory tasks first, 'saving' the hard stuff for later, like when it's time to knock off for the day.

If our fans can't see through all those 2* and low 3* recruits, then they have lost their reasoning faculties. We've GOT to find a way to get back on the track, because the train's pulling out of the station!

^
Not to mention the countless walk-ons on the roster. Are we going to be holding open tryouts during the off-season like they do in high school? Downward trend in recruiting is due to laziness on the coach's part while they rest on their laurels. No excuse for sorry recruiting when we had 3 consecutive 11 win seasons and finished #4 in the country in 2013.

Be careful... all the "Trust the Coaches Evaluations" posters will be blowing you up soon. Unfortunately. The Rivals staff apparantly evaluates talent better than our staff.

25% of last years class failed to qualify. Look at the number of players that have left the program since 2013. When you are awarding several scholarships to walk on players , you have failed at recruiting.

Be careful... all the "Trust the Coaches Evaluations" posters will be blowing you up soon. Unfortunately. The Rivals staff apparantly evaluates talent better than our staff.
Actually, even those fans have changed their attitude. The Spurrier apologists have disappeared. What he has allowed to occur is indefensible.

Yes, but it's EASIER to recruit those 'diamonds in the rough' - that's it, see? Same in business. Poor employees will always do the easy, perfunctory tasks first, 'saving' the hard stuff for later, like when it's time to knock off for the day.

If our fans can't see through all those 2* and low 3* recruits, then they have lost their reasoning faculties. We've GOT to find a way to get back on the track, because the train's pulling out of the station!
I agree, we typically recruit the low hanging fruit. Our recruiting has been a joke for 3 years now.

Actually, even those fans have changed their attitude. The Spurrier apologists have disappeared. What he has allowed to occur is indefensible.

Somebody got lazy on the job and thought the assistants would run the ship. A change must be made because we are the doormat once again.

Three of our 2 stars are offensive linemen. Of all positions to recruit sleepers, OL is not the one to do that with. Spin that all you want about it being more difficult to evaluate linemen...blah, blah, blah. When you hide your head in the sand, you risk getting your butt sunburned.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Totally agree with the OP. I work for a sales based organization and my performance is constantly monitored and evaluated. I have thrived in this environment for over 20 years because I get out of bed everyday and work at what I do. Spurrier makes a good deal more than me; however, as the CEO, Ray Tanner has obviously let this go on far too long. Not saying Spurrier has to go, but whatever they are doing down there is not working. Perhaps in this case, we need to get better recruiters, sooner rather than later. This staff would not be tolerated in my organization.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
Get rid of Jr Ward and Deke and that would be a good start but we all know that won't happen

We have four 2 stars on that list. If sos needs advice on what his problems are I suggest he go look at that list. You can't turn a Yugo in to a Porsche. All the problems our team is experiencing has its base in a complete failure on recruiting and talent evaluation. The staff Spurrier has now assembled simply do not recruit well. If those guys were working for a sales company they wouldn't last 6 months not one of them.

That's about where you've been at this point in the years from 2008-2015. Your ranking is about 16-24. That's why I don't really buy the recruiting thing. Unless you want to say you've just been lucky that you've hit on a lot of 3 stars those other 8 years.

Steve's always been more of a believer in coaching them up than having more raw talent. Florida had so many big names falling at his doorstep that it didn't matter. But UT and sometimes Georgia out recruited him then. UT with a barren recruiting base and UGA with a program in the toilet while SOS sat on a recruiting gold mine.

I'm not knocking him, because he's been very successful with how he's gone about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT