ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting budget: We are 10th in SEC. Good enough?

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
Interesting. The only teams we are ahead of are Kentucky, LSU, Miss St and Vandy. LSU has insane levels of in-state talent, so not surprising they dont need to spend much.

This is a core fundamental AD question. Should we “share the wealth” and give every sport good funding but let football exist at 10th? Or go all-in on football and actually try to become great? We know what our AD has decided. Hes a baseball guy. He has empathy for non revenue sports who are overshadowed by football. His National Championships in baseball were vastly overshadowed by Spurrier simply going 11-2 with no ring.

I personally would like it to be all-in on football, because I simply dont care about other sports at all.

Reactions: Lurker123
WBB is probably one if not the biggest generator of revenue currently. Regular season and tournaments are drawing packed houses, so don't be pissed at her. What Beamer needs to do is ask how did she build a powerhouse and is recruiting on a national scale

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
WBB is probably one if not the biggest generator of revenue currently. Regular season and tournaments are drawing packed houses, so don't be pissed at her. What Beamer needs to do is ask how did she build a powerhouse and is recruiting on a national scale
No. We lose like $3 million a year on WBB.

Reactions: usc89
I don't see how with the way they've been performing, but they are still carrying the school compared to football and baseball

Just off memory, so take it fwiw. But this was discussed maybe last offseason? I recall the report that showed that WBB operatedbin the red. And coincidentally I thought it was around 3 million, so Watson and I are probably remembering the same thing.

I'll look for it, but if anyone knows a link, that would help.

Interesting. The only teams we are ahead of are Kentucky, LSU, Miss St and Vandy. LSU has insane levels of in-state talent, so not surprising they dont need to spend much.

This is a core fundamental AD question. Should we “share the wealth” and give every sport good funding but let football exist at 10th? Or go all-in on football and actually try to become great? We know what our AD has decided. Hes a baseball guy. He has empathy for non revenue sports who are overshadowed by football. His National Championships in baseball were vastly overshadowed by Spurrier simply going 11-2 with no ring.

I personally would like it to be all-in on football, because I simply dont care about other sports at all.

I wouldn't put much stock into articles attempting to estimate NIL spends. Until a governing body forces transparency, it's all guesswork and likely underestimated by a mile.

Private donor groups now set up their own LLCs in the large markets. They could care less about any return on investment outside of team performance. It's the Wild West.

WBB generates a fraction of football money

I wouldn't put much stock into articles attempting to estimate NIL spends. Until a governing body forces transparency, it's all guesswork and likely underestimated by a mile.

Private donor groups now set up their own LLCs in the large markets. They could care less about any return on investment outside of team performance. It's the Wild West.
Article is recruiting budget not NIL. The AD allocates $$ within the department.

We are far below most of the SEC. When we see basketball taking trips to Paris. Which is cool if we wanna try to be an “all sports” school like Stanford. Or an all-in on football.

I am the type of fan that wouldn't blink if we started dropping non-revenue sports. So my answer is obvious.

All I see when I see Dawn is money we could be spending on football.
So am I. I got nothing against other sports im just not interested in them at all. 1st place or last I don’t care. Id bet 90% of Gamecock football fans are the same way.

Reactions: Lurker123
So am I. I got nothing against other sports im just not interested in them at all. 1st place or last I don’t care. Id bet 90% of Gamecock football fans are the same way.

The only good thing about WBB is that you get to claim to be a winner, I can't imagine anyone actually enjoys the product on the court. It's just throw the ball up and get the rebound and eventually put one back in. It's an awful product the way we play.

Caitlin Clark is somewhat exciting to watch.

I am the type of fan that wouldn't blink if we started dropping non-revenue sports. So my answer is obvious.

All I see when I see Dawn is money we could be spending on football.
I am with you. I suspect 85-90% of Gamecock fans are.

Recruiting budget: We are 10th in SEC. Good enough?​

No, it is not good enough to win anything important. It is good enough for an occasional winning season and a third tier bowl.

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
I hope Tanner is asked about this. The answer will tell whether our university is serious about football.

Sounds about right. All the fat cats on the board, Ray and other higher ups in the administration are collecting their checks. All they care about. Bozos don't care if we win or lose. I stopped giving money a decade ago and haven't attended a game since 2014. I still watch on TV as much as I can withstand. When the program shows a true commitment to winning I may reverse course.

Recruiting budget: We are 10th in SEC. Good enough?​

No, it is not good enough to win anything important. It is good enough for an occasional winning season and a third tier bowl.

Yep. You get what you pay for. Sometimes less. Rarely more.

And hiring/firing coaches every 15 minutes does more damage than good.

Beamer is going to have at least $2 million to spend this portal season. Will be curious how well he does with it.

Garnet Trust got a $1 million donation to match up to $1 million in other donations.

That's "potential" money. If all that comes to fruition, no thanks to people like you that think starving a program of cash is the answer, there is no guarantee that it all goes to football.

Of course, you were crying about him "wasting" money on a Nyck Harbor, who performed well for a true freshman. Zero chance you will be happy with ANYTHING he does. That's just who you are.

That's "potential" money. If all that comes to fruition, no thanks to people like you that think starving a program of cash is the answer, there is no guarantee that it all goes to football.

Of course, you were crying about him "wasting" money on a Nyck Harbor, who performed well for a true freshman. Zero chance you will be happy with ANYTHING he does. That's just who you are.

lol at thinking paying more than 7 figures for 12 receptions for 195 yards and 1 TD was a good decision.

I think deep down you know Beamer will blow the money the same away again this year.

Ive heard it before. If we just spend more money on football...
How has that worked out for us all these years? Sorry, I will not be convinced that money is the answer to our woes.... especially at the expense of our other sports.

Ive heard it before. If we just spend more money on football...
How has that worked out for us all these years? Sorry, I will not be convinced that money is the answer to our woes.... especially at the expense of our other sports.

It's just become the perfect excuse. It's not poor coaching that had Joyner playing RB over Anderson, we just lack funds to compete.

It's just become the perfect excuse. It's not poor coaching that had Joyner playing RB over Anderson, we just lack funds to compete.
I wish the ones using that excuse had some idea how many times we have heard this as fans in the past and how often funding boosts have failed to deliver the results promised. Personally I say show me some results with what you have and then we'll talk.

I wish the ones using that excuse had some idea how many times we have heard this as fans in the past and how often funding boosts have failed to deliver the results promised. Personally I say show me some results with what you have and then we'll talk.

You got results at the end of last year. Did you talk?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT