ADVERTISEMENT

Just scanned our basketball roster...holy crap!

One thing I looked at was the transfers free throw percentage. I think all of them were over 70%. That’s an upgrade in itself. We absolutely sucked at the line last year as a team.
FT% by itself is an overrated stat. If the player has the athleticism to attack the defense, then FT% or a lack thereof becomes important. Ran across a lot of guys who were capable of shooting 80-90% from the line but could only get you 15-20 foul shots during a year.

Martins been busy!!!!!

0James Reese VGGr.6-4170Eastover, S.C. (North Texas)
1Jacobi WrightGFr.6-2180Fort Mill, S.C. (Legacy Early College)
2Chico Carter Jr.GJr.6-3189Columbia, S.C. (Murray State)
4Tre-Vaughn MinottCSo.6-9270Montreal, Quebec (NBA Academy Latin America)
5Jermaine CouisnardGJr.*6-4211East Chicago, Ind. (Montverde Academy)
10Erik StevensonGSr.6-4209Lacey, Wash. (Washington)
12AJ WilsonFGr.6-7234Laurel, Md. (George Mason)
13Mike GreenGJr.6-2190Myrtle Beach, S.C. (Christian Academy)
14Brandon MartinFSr.6-5232Miami, Fla. (USC Upstate)
15Wildens LevequeF/CJr.6-10255Brockton, Mass. (Gould Academy)
21Ja'Von BensonFSo.6-7250Columbia, S.C. (Ridgeview)
23Devin CarterGFr.6-3188Miami, Fla. (Brewster Academy)
24Keyshawn BryantFSr.6-6187Winter Haven, Fla. (Winter Haven)
33Josh GrayFSo.7-0255Brooklyn, N.Y. (LSU)
44Ford Cooper Jr.GJr.6-3202Charlotte, N.C. (Missouri St.)
55Ta’Quan WoodleyFFr.6-8280Camden, N.J. (Camden)
We have more size on this team than any I recall. 6 guys who are 6’7” or bigger! A true 7 footer and Minot who is 6’9” 270!

John Wooden is perhaps the greatest BB coach ever. His teams always shot well at the line. I didn't realize he was an All American basketball player himself at Purdue in the 1930s. Went on to play professionally (before NBA existed). He hit 143 free throws in a row at one point in his career.
I was aware of of his prowess at Purdue. He was so completely Midwestern in persona that his move to the west coast isn't something you would expect. Add to that, UCLA was anything but a desirable job when he took it.

FT% by itself is an overrated stat. If the player has the athleticism to attack the defense, then FT% or a lack thereof becomes important. Ran across a lot of guys who were capable of shooting 80-90% from the line but could only get you 15-20 foul shots during a year.
It was a lot more important when all common fouls resulted in shots. I wish they still did.

Reactions: atl-cock
The white boy supposed to be, but you hear someone is a shooter every year.
I read an interview with Stevenson a few days ago that I thought was a little humorous. He said he was looking forward to having a lot of fun this year because it has been such a loose atmosphere in practice, not like his last team where he got yelled at a lot. OK!!

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31 and 92Pony
I read an interview with Stevenson a few days ago that I thought was a little humorous. He said he was looking forward to having a lot of fun this year because it has been such a loose atmosphere in practice, not like his last team where he got yelled at a lot. OK!!
Should someone tell him….? 😄

Reactions: Mcreekcock
Woke Forest has talent in our ball park. Mostly 3* rated players with several 4* rated players.

there is no reason to put unrealistic expectations on this roster / team. Its going to take some time for them to gel and there will be some ups n downs but It will be more of a traditional FM team where come January they bein playing their best basketball. We just have to not take as many hits before January that puts us behind the 8 ball and makes the mountain to steep to climp.

Said it before, and will again. I like Frank Martin. Like the way he coaches. But for whatever reason, the man just cannot recruit at a high level. Even the difference makers from the state, and the area, seem to leave for greener pastures. I actually quit caring about basketball last year, and I am getting the same way about football. If the administration doesn't make changes when needed, or when they do at least try to show the least bit of effort that they are serious about winning as they conduct a coaching search, it really doesn't matter.

Said it before, and will again. I like Frank Martin. Like the way he coaches. But for whatever reason, the man just cannot recruit at a high level. Even the difference makers from the state, and the area, seem to leave for greener pastures. I actually quit caring about basketball last year, and I am getting the same way about football. If the administration doesn't make changes when needed, or when they do at least try to show the least bit of effort that they are serious about winning as they conduct a coaching search, it really doesn't matter.
I really like Coach Frank. I have been a supporter since year one. However, he has had years to solve this recruiting thing. We can rest assured there is cheating going on, but it is still on Coach Frank to hire people who can get the job done. I do not have any doubts that with only a slightly increased talent level, we would excel. Hope he can do it.

I’m a Frank fan as well and I thought these guys he brought in this year would be hungry and ready to go. After hearing about getting smoked by Wake Forest in a preseason game now not so much. We can’t afford to lose early games but you and I know it’s going to happen. Hopefully we will not lose more than three non conference games. We will definitely lose to FSU.

Seems to me the reason he can't recruit well is because of the way he coaches. Top recruits nowadays simply don't want to play for a coach like that.

Reactions: ForeUSC
I really like Coach Frank. I have been a supporter since year one. However, he has had years to solve this recruiting thing. We can rest assured there is cheating going on, but it is still on Coach Frank to hire people who can get the job done. I do not have any doubts that with only a slightly increased talent level, we would excel. Hope he can do it.
There is no cheating going on now. As Jimbo Fischer stated at the SEC media days...."the NIL has been around for years, but nobody talked about it". I also know that every message board acts as if their school is as pure as the driven snow and everyone they play is cheating at every turn. The naive believe that. And that's OK. It is a business. You do what you have to do to win.

ADVERTISEMENT