ADVERTISEMENT

Just to shoot the breeze a little in regards to our uringe buddies in Pickens county...

Anna_Nimmitty

Jul 28, 2010
GaTech has lost two games (UT 42-41 & UM 25-24 ) by 2 pts. Face it, GaTech is a PITA to play no matter who ya are. That game is in Pickens County next weekend. After that, they got NCSU in Raleigh who beat Syracuse 33-25. Point being that these next two games outta tell a lot. They got FSU the week after NCSU, but I don't think that's gonna be that big a deal. The Seminoles just ain't all that this year.

Guess we'll see what we'll see.

I won't count FSU out just yet. Clem is struggling on offense and FSU's QB has gain a lot of valuable experience...more than Clem's backup. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they lose 2 of 3.
That should count their blessings they not playing the U. I think Richt would spank them!

Clemson's front 7 has the speed and power to absolutely destroy an option attack. They could always play like crap as they did Friday night but I think NC St. has a better chance to beat them than Tech.

Clemson depends on Kelly as much as they did Watson. If Kelly is 100% for the GT game then watch out, but if he's 75% or less and Dabo rushes him back then our chances of beating them just got a whole lot better. That assuming we don't keep piling up the injuries ourselves.

GaTech has lost two games (UT 42-41 & UM 25-24 ) by 2 pts. Face it, GaTech is a PITA to play no matter who ya are. That game is in Pickens County next weekend. After that, they got NCSU in Raleigh who beat Syracuse 33-25. Point being that these next two games outta tell a lot. They got FSU the week after NCSU, but I don't think that's gonna be that big a deal. The Seminoles just ain't all that this year.

KB might be hobbled for awhile with that re-injured ankle. I don't think clem will be running him as much when he returns, and in the meanwhile, I saw a huge drop off when the backup entered the game. That guy looked like a worse version of Franks at Florida. And don't forget, when KB does return, in a more limited running role, he's still the guy with 4 passing TD's through 7 games. And tater fans are keeping it hush hush, but they all know that their passing attack lacks the same downfield capability as years past. The whole offense revolves around getting their mobile QB to keep the opposing D off balance by keeping the ball on many of their play options. They then use that threat to open up the running for their RB's and also to set up their short passing game. Same as last year, except Watson had the downfield passing game also, and he was lethal with it. Now a hobbled QB that cant lead the team in rushes or even present a true danger on the keepers puts new and heightened pressure on the other phases of the game that may or may not look as good in the new circumstances. Judging from our small sample size of watching the offense work under those conditions, I know what is worrying the taters but they aren't saying it out loud yet.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
KB might be hobbled for awhile with that re-injured ankle. I don't think clem will be running him as much when he returns, and in the meanwhile, I saw a huge drop off when the backup entered the game. That guy looked like a worse version of Franks at Florida. And don't forget, when KB does return, in a more limited running role, he's still the guy with 4 passing TD's through 7 games. And tater fans are keeping it hush hush, but they all know that their passing attack lacks the same downfield capability as years past. The whole offense revolves around getting their mobile QB to keep the opposing D off balance by keeping the ball on many of their play options. They then use that threat to open up the running for their RB's and also to set up their short passing game. Same as last year, except Watson had the downfield passing game also, and he was lethal with it. Now a hobbled QB that cant lead the team in rushes or even present a true danger on the keepers puts new and heightened pressure on the other phases of the game that may or may not look as good in the new circumstances. Judging from our small sample size of watching the offense work under those conditions, I know what is worrying the taters but they aren't saying it out loud yet.

What to watch for against GT is blocking below the knees. GT is well schooled in blocking LOW. I don't especially like playing Wofford with their option game. CU does get two weeks to prepare, and Venables has done a good job with GT the last few seasons.

What to watch for against GT is blocking below the knees. GT is well schooled in blocking LOW. I don't especially like playing Wofford with their option game. CU does get two weeks to prepare, and Venables has done a good job with GT the last few seasons.
Clemson seems to get in trouble with GaTech when GaTech has a legit passing threat.

In a recent thread on “tiger rag”, in which their fan base is ridiculing SC’s inept and pansy schedule, as well as its record, most of the posts were of course over the top typical orange hyperbole, but one poster had this to say:

“Like it or not , I absolutely hate it but the Coots are getting better.
Our D will completely shut them down but if things don't improve we will have some trouble scoring on them.
If we played them this Sat we win 24-10.
That's with a healthy KB ”

Last edited:
Ga Tech is really good this year. That game will be tough.
NC State is pretty good this year. That game will be tough.
FSU is always good. That game will be tough.

If Clemson makes it through the next 3 with 3 wins, then that proves they are worthy of the playoffs again. But I don't think they will.

I won't count FSU out just yet. Clem is struggling on offense and FSU's QB has gain a lot of valuable experience...more than Clem's backup. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they lose 2 of 3.
That should count their blessings they not playing the U. I think Richt would spank them!
One other point: The Pack gotta go to S. Bend this weekend. IF they pull that one off and do so impressively, then look out for the potential Game Day game in Raleigh next weekend!!

Just sayin.

That’s as close to them showing the fears about their offense as they will get right now, but just watch if they struggle offensively vs GT, NCSU or FSU. They don’t have the vertical game of years past. They know they need a healthy running QB. I think they also realize that without that vertical passing attack, they are vulnerable again. Some of their fans (see below quote from one) think they are just playing it "safe" on offense, but most know that they havent opened it up as in years past because they dont have that deep ball game anymore.

Tater quote: "Looking at a whole body of work - if a QB is slinging it around and pushing the ball vertically - interceptions will happen and that is okay. Ideally you do not fall behind a 3 passing TD to 1 interception ratio. If you are too safe with the ball you might not turn it over but you also might be missing out on touchdowns 3:1.

I think Deshaun Watson best exemplified this and still does in the NFL. Sometimes this catches up with you when you turn it over in the red zone like a game or two last year but it also enables you to beat Alabama when things go well.

Fumbles are never good. Running the ball is playing it safe and there is nothing worse than laying it up safe and still hitting it into the water"

Last edited:
Here's the thing about CU in recent years. When they do get beat, the staff there is able to get them refocused and back to playing and executing. That loss to Syracuse will have done just that. They win all three mentioned above(unfortunately).

Here's the thing about CU in recent years. When they do get beat, the staff there is able to get them refocused and back to playing and executing. That loss to Syracuse will have done just that. They win all three mentioned above(unfortunately).
Ehh, don't think so. I think State is pretty damned excited about the Tate's having to come to Raleigh - they win that game and their coach and staff will all get extensions!!

I wouldn’t bet on that.

Last edited:
Btw, they are also very worried about their kicking game which went from great to very poor last season to this. If they have to ride their D the rest of the year, doing so without a reliable kicking game and vertical passing attack all the while having to rely on a mobile running QB is not ideal in closely contested games (defensive games).

FSU barely got by Duke on Saturday. I don't think FSU has anything for clemmers this year.

Reactions: NetworkX
FSU has out recruited Clempson every year since Jimbo took over as HC, so don't sleep on FSU. Their QB is gaining experience each week.
They haven't looked good thus far. Barely beat WFU and Duke in addition to losses to NCSU and Miami.

We've looked better than they have....offense and defense.

They haven't looked good thus far. Barely beat WFU and Duke in addition to losses to NCSU and Miami.

We've looked better than they have....offense and defense.

I agree they haven't looked great, but they're not lacking talent. IMO, Clemson hasn't looked much better than average all season either. Their signature wins don't look so great now. Auburn will likely be a 3 or 4 loss team this season, and Louisville just lost to BC. VT is probably their best win so far this season, but VT hasn't really played a very strong schedule.
FSU lost to both NC State and Miami by less than a TD, so they were in both games until the end.

I agree they haven't looked great, but they're not lacking talent. IMO, Clemson hasn't looked much better than average all season either. Their signature wins don't look so great now. Auburn will likely be a 3 or 4 loss team this season, and Louisville just lost to BC. VT is probably their best win so far this season, but VT hasn't really played a very strong schedule.
FSU lost to both NC State and Miami by less than a TD, so they were in both games until the end.
Oh, I agree. They don't lack for talent....much like Tennessee.

Clemson's front 7 has the speed and power to absolutely destroy an option attack. They could always play like crap as they did Friday night but I think NC St. has a better chance to beat them than Tech.

Maybe you're right. I just can't help thinking if Tech had a better defense they'd be unbeaten and vying for an ACC title. Wouldn't surprise me to see Clemson hold Tech off, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see Tech beat them.

Maybe you're right. I just can't help thinking if Tech had a better defense they'd be unbeaten and vying for an ACC title. Wouldn't surprise me to see Clemson hold Tech off, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see Tech beat them.
I'd love to be wrong.

As happy as I would be to see the taters lose 2 out of 3, they really only need to lose 1 of those to knock them out of the playoff picture for good. Even if they somehow were to win the ACC Championship with 2 losses, the playoff committee will not take a 2 loss team. Praying for GT to put them out of their misery at Death Valley.

N.C.State knows they outplayed the future national champs last year in Death Valley.They absolutley know they can beat a Watson less clem.at home
WADR, They may have known whatever they thought they knew, but by no means are they gonna beat Clem this year in Raleigh UNTIL they ACTUALLY do such!! Though I hope they do, this is one of those situations where you simply do not know until you know!!!

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT