ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky beat UGA 82-48 & Florida 80-61

Uncreation

Jan 3, 2006
In their last 2 games before us

They are hot right now and might win it all

Sometimes you are the hammer sometimes you are the nail

The team can bounce back lets just not lose perspective on the caliber of team Kentucky is

Looonnnggg way. 2 years min with really good recruiting. They are already reloading under Calipari.

That should be our intermediate goal.
Unless you are going to play the AAU game (cheat) that is not possible. One think I will say about Frank the man does have integrity. That is why realistically its not possible to get there. You would have to hold more kids like 7 woods home...which I understand is tough. Just going and grabbing McDonalds all americans, well, thats a tough sell when you have not won an NCAA tournament game since Richard Nixon was president

We got our asses handed to us yesterday. There were times when the effort was good but it would wind up in Ulis's hands & he would drain a shot late in the shot clock or throw a lob to one of their big men. We just didn't have the talent to matchup with them. We've gotta get more athletic bigs to be a real threat in the SEC. I still believe we will win enough games to make the NCAA tourney but we need more athletic post players to be a factor.

Looonnnggg way. 2 years min with really good recruiting. They are already reloading under Calipari.

Got to hop in bed with AAU coaches and handlers to recruit like UK, or Cal does. Almost every kid he signs has intentions of being a 1 and done guy. As someone said in another thread the ones that are 1 and done guys most likely attend classes at UK for one semester and don't worry about class the 2nd.

Unless you are going to play the AAU game (cheat) that is not possible. One think I will say about Frank the man does have integrity. That is why realistically its not possible to get there. You would have to hold more kids like 7 woods home...which I understand is tough. Just going and grabbing McDonalds all americans, well, thats a tough sell when you have not won an NCAA tournament game since Richard Nixon was president
We are in a very major conference, have had some success in basketball, are heavily invested in athletics, and play in one of the better on-campus arena in the country. Our goal should be to compete at the top level.

Personally, I would rather have a team rather than a bunch of one-and-done guys. I don't think Frank has ever considered building a "program" around that philosophy either. To me it really devalues the school to have kids come in for one year - less than a year actually (June-April) - with no intent of being a real college student.

I was actually a little shocked about Duke last year. Coach K doesn't seem like a guy to go the one-and-done route, but I guess winning it all has its advantages.

2 years makes a little more sense. Then kids would have to take at lease one full year of college courses... and hey, they might actually learn something.
I agree that it makes more sense, but we have to play with the system as it currently is. K said he prefers that, but currently he has no problem with bringing in 1 and dones nor do the other blue bloods: unc, uk, Kansas. All of them stack their rosters with those guys.

We are in a very major conference, have had some success in basketball, are heavily invested in athletics, and play in one of the better on-campus arena in the country. Our goal should be to compete at the top level.
every other team in the sec can make that same statement, you have to do better than that

and saying we have had "some success" is sugar coating an epically shitty 10 year run and (like I said) not winning an NCAA game since Nixon

every other team in the sec can make that same statement, you have to do better than that

and saying we have had "some success" is sugar coating an epically shitty 10 year run and (like I said) not winning an NCAA game since Nixon
I think "some success" is the proper historical perspective, and only a couple of SEC arenas could be deemed better than ours. And I didn't bother to mention that we are situated in an area that regularly turns out multiple players that the Big Boys want - more so than any other conference locality I can think of except maybe LSU due to its proximity to New Orleans. So, no, I really didn't NEED to do better, but I did anyhow. We realistically should be striving to play at the highest level.

In their last 2 games before us

They are hot right now and might win it all

Sometimes you are the hammer sometimes you are the nail

The team can bounce back lets just not lose perspective on the caliber of team Kentucky is
Yeah, UK was definitely rolling. That said, the tone was set before the game even started.

1. Cal hates playing us, and drilled into his teams head, that we are going to manhandle them. They were fired up .
2. Cal got ejected, because he saw his team getting pushed around. That fired them up.
3. Carrera (my soldier on this team) didn't capitalize on those free throws. Energy left the buliding, and UK started to believe.
4. Big blue nation was in full effect. I guarantee some USC fans's tickets were bought out by UK fans.
5. Clean block by Chat after ejection called a foul. Refs were calling everything. Cal set the tone and effectively took away the one way we could beat UK...physicality.

Of course our goal should be to reach the highest level, but there is not a chance Martin uses coach Cal's philosophy of the one and dones. Martin doesn't really have the history or reputation of constantly putting people in the league like Cal does. Martin will need to get players that develop into studs by their junior and senior year with maybe an occasional freshman phenom.

I think "some success" is the proper historical perspective, and only a couple of SEC arenas could be deemed better than ours. And I didn't bother to mention that we are situated in an area that regularly turns out multiple players that the Big Boys want - more so than any other conference locality I can think of except maybe LSU due to its proximity to New Orleans. So, no, I really didn't NEED to do better, but I did anyhow. We realistically should be striving to play at the highest level.
But what you do not seem to get that this program is missing... Is SUCCESS. None of these kids care what Happened here in the 1960s. If we had managed to sustain some measure of success since then, our program would be viewed in a more acceptable light by current recruits. We have instead gone on a 30+ year NCAA tournament win DROUGHT. Until we make a run in the NCAA tournament that gets attention and makes these kids think "I can win there", we are selling the same slow that all the other crappy teams out there sell! "Free education" YIPEEE... EARLY PLAYING TIME? Yeahhhhh... I can get that anywhere... These kids can got to KENTUCKY and play as freshmen BECAUSE zoo the one and done environs,ten so why chose us? The answer is they WILL NOT. Until we prove we have the ability to win big. Cannot win big without them (easily), cannot get them until you win big.., catch 22. That is why it is so hard to pull yourself out of the mess we are in and why THIS SEASON when we have seniors and Juniors who are competing at a high level (most nights) is so important! We need to make the dance and win enoh games to turn some heads when we get there. I don't think anybody believe this Is a National championship team, but we could get hot and get some attention and we desperately need THAT.

But what you do not seem to get that this program is missing... Is SUCCESS. None of these kids care what Happened here in the 1960s. If we had managed to sustain some measure of success since then, our program would be viewed in a more acceptable light by current recruits. We have instead gone on a 30+ year NCAA tournament win DROUGHT. Until we make a run in the NCAA tournament that gets attention and makes these kids think "I can win there", we are selling the same slow that all the other crappy teams out there sell! "Free education" YIPEEE... EARLY PLAYING TIME? Yeahhhhh... I can get that anywhere... These kids can got to KENTUCKY and play as freshmen BECAUSE zoo the one and done environs,ten so why chose us? The answer is they WILL NOT. Until we prove we have the ability to win big. Cannot win big without them (easily), cannot get them until you win big.., catch 22. That is why it is so hard to pull yourself out of the mess we are in and why THIS SEASON when we have seniors and Juniors who are competing at a high level (most nights) is so important! We need to make the dance and win enoh games to turn some heads when we get there. I don't think anybody believe this Is a National championship team, but we could get hot and get some attention and we desperately need THAT.
I've been watching this program since the early 1960s - since I was about 10, so I'm probably as much a "lifer" as you are. We have proven in two different non-contiguous regimes that we can ascend to the top of the college basketball landscape, given the right coach and enough players. Now, we haven't had success in the NCAA tournament and that is a barrier we have to break through. But if we can get in the national conversation twice, then we certainly have the resources now to do it again. And that should be our goal, with higher attainment as part of it. I would believe a coach of Martin's ability, given enough time to establish continuity, can get us there. But if he ultimately proves unable, then our leadership should aim even higher in their selection of the next coach. All the great programs started somewhere.

Got to hop in bed with AAU coaches and handlers to recruit like UK, or Cal does. Almost every kid he signs has intentions of being a 1 and done guy. As someone said in another thread the ones that are 1 and done guys most likely attend classes at UK for one semester and don't worry about class the 2nd.

Your comment got me curious. I wouldn't go down this road if I were you. Kentucky's men's basketball APR (Academic Progress Rate) has been higher than South Carolina's 6 of the past 8 years. http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

Personally, I would rather have a team rather than a bunch of one-and-done guys. I don't think Frank has ever considered building a "program" around that philosophy either. To me it really devalues the school to have kids come in for one year - less than a year actually (June-April) - with no intent of being a real college student.

I was actually a little shocked about Duke last year. Coach K doesn't seem like a guy to go the one-and-done route, but I guess winning it all has its advantages.

Any, and I mean ANY, NCAA D1 coach will get these future first rounders if they can get them. The difference is Duke, UK and a few others can get them. Are you going to tell me Frank wouldn't have taken Ben Simmons? Of course he would.

Any, and I mean ANY, NCAA D1 coach will get these future first rounders if they can get them. The difference is Duke, UK and a few others can get them. Are you going to tell me Frank wouldn't have taken Ben Simmons? Of course he would.
There's a difference between "take" and "actively recruit." I'm not saying Frank doesn't look at the best players first, but whether or not a kid is willing to come in and learn his system plays a much bigger factor than for a guy like Calipari.

Basketball program just needs to do what the football program did, has some consecutive, good years. Before last year, most 17 year olds wouldn't remember USC having a losing football season. All they "knew" was Carolina being a top 25 team, which we were. It'll make recruiting, especially the instate kids, a lot easier.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Basketball program just needs to do what the football program did, has some consecutive, good years. Before last year, most 17 year olds wouldn't remember USC having a losing football season. All they "knew" was Carolina being a top 25 team, which we were. It'll make recruiting, especially the instate kids, a lot easier.

1,000 x LIKES ^^^^^^

We've just taken one of the most horrid losses I can remember, but no one loss means that we can's ascend to the higher echelons of college basketball. But this one means we have quite a ways to go.

To me, if we can get there to the extent we have in women's ball, there's not reason we can't do the same in men's ball. We were just as hapless in women's ball as men's ball before Staley arrived.

But we saw exhibited tonight incontrovertibly that, as of this year, we are still lacking both talent and spunk. Inexcusable defeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT