ADVERTISEMENT

Kingston makes it clear: A new era is underway at South Carolina

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...-baseball/article159189674.html#storylink=cpy

Mark Kingston was formally introduced as South Carolina’s baseball coach Friday afternoon at The Zone at Williams-Brice Stadium and made it clear that a new era is underway at USC.

Kingston said Friday that his relationship with Tanner was practically nonexistent until a couple of weeks ago. While he is excited to work for a coach he called “one of the greatest coaches in college baseball history,” he will also run his program his way.

This is good!

“He didn’t hire me to have to babysit me. I’m confident enough in what my staff and I will be able to do with our team that I’m not going to call him all the time,” Kingston said. “I think we know what we’re doing. I think we know how to build a team and develop it. I would guess we’ll talk more non-baseball than baseball.”

No disrespect to the OP. I am pleased with the hiring of Coach Kingston, but don't all new coaches promise the same thing. Phrases like, "We're going to win the right way....Compete for championships....Graduate our players....[and] Ignite our fans" are pretty typical of the new era every coach promises.

Imagine if a coach said, We will try to win championships, but it might not happen. Our players will graduate if they go to class, study, and work hard, but they might not. We will try to recruit character guys, but we can't really get to know them that well before they enroll. So it's possible we'll end up with a few duds. But, don't worry, we're going to give it the old college try.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Saw quite a few games at USF since I am a Floridian. He is a great coach pure and simple. In the short time he was there dramatically closed the recruiting gap between USF and Florida/FSU. He kind of lets the kids play on gameday and doesn't micromanage the game. I got the impression that the players all loved playing for him. The other thing is that he is not hesitant to share a few thoughts with the umpires and will likely watch a game from the clubhouse every now and then. The biggest difference I saw when he took over at USF is that the players came to the park expecting to win instead of hoping to win. The confidence is real.

You know pretty much every site I've looked at that isn't a gamecock site thinks this was an ace hire.

Really don't understand why people seem to be up in the air about it.

What was everyone expecting exactly? O'Sullivan to jump from Florida to here? Monte Lee to leave an excellent job where he gets paid well, and has already established his family to come here, because South Carolina?

Basically Kingston has exactly the resume you would expect for someone to be hired for this job. I saw on one site (maybe even this one) a comment from someone saying his record was pretty comparable to Monte Lee's before he got picked up by Clemson.

He is apparently an excellent recruiter, and he has been a head guy at two spots now climbing the ladder. Not sure how we could have made a better hire unless O'Sullivan had a really wild hair to vamoose Gainesville.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...-baseball/article159189674.html#storylink=cpy

Mark Kingston was formally introduced as South Carolina’s baseball coach Friday afternoon at The Zone at Williams-Brice Stadium and made it clear that a new era is underway at USC.

Kingston said Friday that his relationship with Tanner was practically nonexistent until a couple of weeks ago. While he is excited to work for a coach he called “one of the greatest coaches in college baseball history,” he will also run his program his way.

This is good!

“He didn’t hire me to have to babysit me. I’m confident enough in what my staff and I will be able to do with our team that I’m not going to call him all the time,” Kingston said. “I think we know what we’re doing. I think we know how to build a team and develop it. I would guess we’ll talk more non-baseball than baseball.”
They are just words that every new coach says. He'll be as bad as Muschamp is as a new hire.

You know pretty much every site I've looked at that isn't a gamecock site thinks this was an ace hire.

Really don't understand why people seem to be up in the air about it.

What was everyone expecting exactly? O'Sullivan to jump from Florida to here? Monte Lee to leave an excellent job where he gets paid well, and has already established his family to come here, because South Carolina?

Basically Kingston has exactly the resume you would expect for someone to be hired for this job. I saw on one site (maybe even this one) a comment from someone saying his record was pretty comparable to Monte Lee's before he got picked up by Clemson.

He is apparently an excellent recruiter, and he has been a head guy at two spots now climbing the ladder. Not sure how we could have made a better hire unless O'Sullivan had a really wild hair to vamoose Gainesville.
Some people are cautious because while the guy does come with much praise, he's still never run a major top dawg program that demands winning like this one will. It's a whole different deal when the pressure is on versus doing well at programs nobody expects anything from anyways. I just hope he can turn us back into the days we dominated because anything less will be a disappointment.

Reactions: gamecock ed
They are just words that every new coach says. He'll be as bad as Muschamp is as a new hire.
If he loses the Clemson series or gets swept his first go round against the taters, the bloom might start to fall off the rose.

He is a pretty big guy, not fat, but tall and think he probably casts a pretty imposing physical presence on the field. I imagine him to be a gentle giant, but also imagine he can "get down" or "throw down" when necessary. I imagine the players will respect his demands.

Reactions: gamecock ed
He is a pretty big guy, not fat, but tall and think he probably casts a pretty imposing physical presence on the field. I imagine him to be a gentle giant, but also imagine he can "get down" or "throw down" when necessary. I imagine the players will respect his demands.
5956c031e3ce4.image.jpg

Wow, looks like he is a tall fella! Anybody know his height?

He's our coach now and I'll support him 100%.

As long as he doesn't ever blame the fans for his lack of success.

No disrespect to the OP. I am pleased with the hiring of Coach Kingston, but don't all new coaches promise the same thing. Phrases like, "We're going to win the right way....Compete for championships....Graduate our players....[and] Ignite our fans" are pretty typical of the new era every coach promises.

Imagine if a coach said, We will try to win championships, but it might not happen. Our players will graduate if they go to class, study, and work hard, but they might not. We will try to recruit character guys, but we can't really get to know them that well before they enroll. So it's possible we'll end up with a few duds. But, don't worry, we're going to give it the old college try.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95
What would you say if you were the coach ? If Kingston can follow up on his vision for this team, we will be back to the Tanner like days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT