ADVERTISEMENT

Kingston, you got schooled

usc#11

Oct 4, 2001
at how to play small ball today. I guess small ball is not sexy enough for us to execute. You missed a great opportunity in the 1st inning to set the tone for the game. You have shown to many times you are go big or go home. That ALMOST worked in 9th but we earned the L.

Last edited:
at how to play small ball today. I guess small ball is not sexy enough for us to execute. You missed a great opportunity in the 1st inning to set the tone for the game. You have shown to many times you are go big or go home. That ALMOST worked in 9th but we earned the L.
Yeah I can understand not playing smallball last night being the first game and all and letting the guys hit but dang. All I want is for us to be prepared for anything. It seems as long as we remain reluctant or dismissive about it we will poorly exicute. It's the Gamecock way. That's like the opposite of what the best teams do. Been that way here far too long.

Reactions: Jbouton2
Yeah I can understand not playing smallball last night being the first game and all and letting the guys hit but dang. All I want is for us to be prepared for anything. It seems as long as we remain reluctant or dismissive about it we will poorly exicute. It's the Gamecock way. That's like the opposite of what the best teams do. Been that way here far too long.
Too bad you wilt after the first defeat of each season. You probably missed out on the first CWS title in 2010 when we dropped back to back series to East Carolina and Clemson early in that season.

Too bad you wilt after the first defeat of each season. You probably missed out on the first CWS title in 2010 when we dropped back to back series to East Carolina and Clemson early in that season.

I get what you’re saying about it being too early to throw in a towel but it’s definitely a stretch comparing Clemsux or East Carolina to Greensboro. Greensboro only has 3 NCAA baseball tournament appearances in its entire history. It’s not a good start and if we don’t significantly improve fast, we are in for a long baseball season.

2010 was loaded with pro talent. Don’t see that here. We will know soon enough though. The schedule gets better in a hurry.

I get what you’re saying about it being too early to throw in a towel but it’s definitely a stretch comparing Clemsux or East Carolina to Greensboro. Greensboro only has 3 NCAA baseball tournament appearances in its entire history. It’s not a good start and if we don’t significantly improve fast, we are in for a long baseball season.

2010 was loaded with pro talent. Don’t see that here. We will know soon enough though. The schedule gets better in a hurry.
Not at all. The head coach at ECarolina in 2010 who schooled Ray Tanner, Scotty Wingo, Whit Merrifield, Jackie BradleyJr. and company is now the head coach at UNC Greensboro. Lots of high school talent in North Carolina from east to west.
I'll be concerned if we lose the series today, but very few teams across the country are their finished products right now, as we weren't in 2010.

Reactions: kawalski
What? Saying we havent been very good at smallball is wilting? I think it's fair to say I'll still be watching when a lot of fans have bailed. I made no mention of our loss on saturday for a reason. We can win by 10 on Sunday. That's the thing about one dimensional baseball, its streaky and inconsistant. We'll continue to be that until we are not.

Last edited:
What? Saying we havent been very good at smallball is wilting? I think it's fair to say I'll still be watching when a lot of fans have bailed. I made no mention of our loss on saturday for a reason. We can win by 10 on Sunday. That's the thing about one dimensional baseball, its streaky and inconsistant. We'll continue to be that until we are not.
Saying we aren't very good at small ball after 1 game is a little premature. I'm frustrated that we put a man on in scoring position down by a run, nobody out in the bottom of the 9th and couldn't get him across the plate to tie things up, but I realize there are lots of ranked teams losing games to what would appear to be less talented teams this weekend, but that should never be a concern in mid February for those teams. I expect that the 2010 UCLA team with 2 future 1st round draft picks on its pitching staff watched us dog piling on the pitchers mound after sweeping them for the CWS title thought, "how did we lose to this bunch of hacks" but that's baseball. We've been on both sides of that equation over the years and will again.

Saying we aren't very good at small ball after 1 game is a little premature. I'm frustrated that we put a man on in scoring position down by a run, nobody out in the bottom of the 9th and couldn't get him across the plate to tie things up, but I realize there are lots of ranked teams losing games to what would appear to be less talented teams this weekend, but that should never be a concern in mid February for those teams. I expect that the 2010 UCLA team with 2 future 1st round draft picks on its pitching staff watched us dog piling on the pitchers mound after sweeping them for the CWS title thought, "how did we lose to this bunch of hacks" but that's baseball. We've been on both sides of that equation over the years and will again.
My hope is we can work on becoming a more well rounded team during the ooc schedule. We did that last year and actually looked pretty good at it. Wimmer was a beast with his speed and bunting ability. We had about 6 guys looking pretty good at it. Right up until the Texas series and just prior to conference play where we seemed to have shelved it for whatever reason. Then we lost the ability to exicute. What I'd like to see is a start like we had last year and a continuation of it. The sooner the better but granted it's still early. Very hard to tell what the plan is. Gonna have to wait and see.

My hope is we can work on becoming a more well rounded team during the ooc schedule. We did that last year and actually looked pretty good at it. Wimmer was a beast with his speed and bunting ability. We had about 6 guys looking pretty good at it. Right up until the Texas series and just prior to conference play where we seemed to have shelved it for whatever reason. Then we lost the ability to exicute. What I'd like to see is a start like we had last year and a continuation of it. The sooner the better but granted it's still early. Very hard to tell what the plan is. Gonna have to wait and see.
Yeah there's no reason a team can't do a combination of both smallball and power ball, I would think . The 2010 team got there primarily on pitching and defense, dodn't hit for a very high average, but did have over 60 homers as a team for the year, I believe.

Yeah there's no reason a team can't do a combination of both smallball and power ball, I would think . The 2010 team got there primarily on pitching and defense, dodn't hit for a very high average, but did have over 60 homers as a team for the year, I believe.
Absolutely! Let's have a lot of tools in the box. If you look at Vandy, Ole Miss, etc, that's what it takes. No better time to stock up on tools then now imo.

Last edited:
It is coaching mindset that concerns me. College baseball coaches seem to be very stubborn. Take a higher percent of scoring 1 run early in the game by playing small ball. This puts the other team playing from behind immediately. I know, I am not a major college baseball coach and in the minority with this strategy. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It is coaching mindset that concerns me. College baseball coaches seem to be very stubborn. Take a higher percent of scoring 1 run early in the game by playing small ball. This puts the other team playing from behind immediately. I know, I am not a major college baseball coach and in the minority with this strategy. Just my opinion.
If you can make that philosophy work I would fully support you. If you decided to play no smallball at all and could make that work, I would fully support you. However if by year five you continue on that path with little to show for it, please pardon me if my support begins to wane.

Reactions: Jbouton2
If you can make that philosophy work I would fully support you. If you decided to play no smallball at all and could make that work, I would fully support you. However if by year five you continue on that path with little to show for it, please pardon me if my support begins to wane.
Absolutely correct. As you said earlier, have alot of tools in the box.

Reactions: bucketdad
That’s why I asked earlier “Who are our two best pitchers?” Got no answer. Nobody knows yet.

Ironically one of our two hits so far could have been a bunt as it trickled down the 3rd base line and Wimmer beat it out.

EDIT: To clarify, I was referring to Wimmer's earlier at bat. He did it again in the 6th although hit it slightly harder. Our third hit on the day.

Last edited:
Evivently we would rather drop the shoulder, swing for the fence and pop out.
Fundamentals
I hope to get a better look at what we are doing in a couple of weeks when we get a closer look at the plate on the broadcast. Lol

Might need to find a way to get these pinch hitters on defense.

Glad, the boys can’t have cell phones in the dugout and I ‘ll be the first to say I wasn’t feeling very confident!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT